Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice needed on garden waste please

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:33:25 +0100, Heather-Whitty
wrote:

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

Yes, fortnightly, green bins available at a cost or, as I do, pay
£1.10 each for big, compostable paper sacks. Bins difficult to store
in small houses with small gardens and no garages.
Bath & N.E.Somerset
Taking to the tip imposible for non-drivers.
BTW "where you're working" not "where your working"!

Ohhh, you pedant!(:-)

Alan

Pam in Bristol

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , alan.holmes
writes

.. .
wrote:

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

Yes, fortnightly, green bins available at a cost or, as I do, pay
£1.10 each for big, compostable paper sacks. Bins difficult to store
in small houses with small gardens and no garages.
Bath & N.E.Somerset
Taking to the tip imposible for non-drivers.
BTW "where you're working" not "where your working"!

Ohhh, you pedant!(:-)

Alan

Not pedantic at all. The sentence as quoted is meaningless. Is it too
much to expect a university researcher to have a basic understanding of
English?
--
hugh

Old 11-10-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , echinosum
writes

Heather-Whitty;866484 Wrote:
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

1. We have a fortnighly kerbside collection of "compostable waste",
which unlike many council areas includes all food waste, and is
suitable for garden waste. They will only take one bin, and the lid has
to be closed, so if you have more waste, as we do from time to time,
you
have to take it to the tip. I can only just fit one lawn-mowing into
the
bin, provided I haven't waited too long since the previous mowing.
2. It's a wheelie bin. Chiltern District Council.
3. Only in the front garden. Though maybe once we take the child
security gate down I might take it into the back garden.

1. Yes and it is now free of charge, whereas previously under Crewe &
Nantwich Borough Council it was £20PA
2. Yes, Cheshire East Borough Council
3. Whichever is the most energy/time efficient for the job in hand (my
energy, that is). Large job bring the bin closer to reduce to and fro
journeys. Small job not worth moving the bin especially to the back
garden back garden

HTH
--
hugh

Old 13-10-2009, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Heather-Whitty" wrote in
message ...

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

Yes

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?

yes - brown wheelie - Aberdeen City

Old 19-10-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Heather-Whitty
writes

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

Yes

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?

Green wheelie collected fortnightly from kerbside (alternate week to
household waste grey bin) - Sefton

3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

The bin lives in the front garden and I only move it around in the front
if I'm working on the hedge, If I'm working round the back the wheelie
goes round via the side passage and gets parked near the action.
Generally if I'm working standing up I chuck the stuff straight in. If
I'm down on my knees, stuff goes in the wheelbarrow or a bucket and gets
transferred when said receptacle is full.

Whether stuff goes in the wheelie or the compost bins depends on what it
is (I won't compost certain weeds, for example), how big it is (eg
branches go in the wheelie) and how full everything is.

--
Susan Ashton
Southport, UK

Old 20-10-2009, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Heather-Whitty
wrote

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

yes

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?

No - residents BUY 'green' plastic sacks.

3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Or do they go on a compost heap/bin - recycled in ones own garden.

Flawed survey questions give you flawed results.

--
Alan
Old 20-10-2009, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Heather-Whitty
wrote

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

yes

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?

No - residents BUY 'green' plastic sacks.

3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Or do they go on a compost heap/bin - recycled in ones own garden.

Flawed survey questions give you flawed results.

Depends if it is a survey about the bins or the compost.

mark

Old 20-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Registered User

Hi Heather

Bit of a local Glasgow city council do not offer this to the majority of their residents. I used to live in the area and now live in an East Dunbartonshire Council region. We have fortnightly collection of our green wheelie bins from April through to November. We also have a free amenity site in Bishopbriggs (Mavis Valley). As traders, the charge for green waste is £82 per tonne at the council site, yet 2 miles further along the road there is an eco centre that will accept trade green waste at a fraction of that. They then sell the compost cheaply.

The council do NOT produce and sell compost. I assume they use it in their own parks department, perhaps they don't process it to a suitable grade.

I try to take the bin to the waste, though a lack of organisation means I'm often hopping across the grass with a shovel full of soil!

What's the title of your project? Is it a new bin design? I have worked as a wastes management consultant for 3 years and now run a gardening business so if I can help give me a shout.

Regards
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather-Whitty View Post