Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice needed on garden waste please

"Heather-Whitty" wrote in
message ...

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

1 [1] Yes. It's not only for garden waste, but also food waste, due to our
proximity to the ECO recycling facility.

2 Yes. East Dorset DC

3. No. A wheelbarrow is much more practical.

[1] I think you mean whether, rather than if.

2. This is not advice, it's data. Is Strathclyde one of Blair's
polyversities by any chance?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Heather-Whitty

1. No bins. They will collect garden waste in sacks if a sticker (£1
per sack) is attached.

2. The Council do not provide wheelie bins for any purpose, I'm
pleased to say, though they currently have an experiment providing
small boxes (emptied free) for kitchen waste which they then compost.

LB Bromley.

3. N/A. I carry armfuls to the shredder and boxes of shreddings to the
compost bin. Uncompostible waste (e.g. branches) I burn.

Note: You can find out most Councils' mechanisms by visiting their
websites. Tedious to do the whole country, I know, but you'll probably
get more coverage than you'll get replies here.

Chris
Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 7, 10:33*am, Heather-Whitty Heather-Whitty.
wrote:
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

I am appalled that so many people seem to allow their local councils
to bully, dictate and charge them in the ways described above. You
should either be looking for some new councillors or standing for
election yourself. I had a little contratemp with my binmen. I
explained politely but firmly that I paid my council tax which covered
removal of garbage. The council chose to subcontract the collecting to
the company that employs the bibmen. What it did not do was to pay the
binmen to tell me (the person that pays their wages) how I should
present my garbage, what time of what day I should put it out, or any
other aspect of the job. I put it out, you collect it - simple Tsk!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
writes

[...]

Glasgow has two Universities. Glasgow University (founded 1451) and the
University of Strathclyde (founded 1796 as Glasgow Technical College and
Royal Charter of University Status in 1964 - some time before Mr. Blair
was around. I attended the former for education and the latter for
social events. Both were excellent! BTW, are you always so pedantic when
someone asks for your help? ... :-))

PS: You are much better served that we in West Dorset. Perhaps it's the
Bournemouth influence. We have no green recycling, only normal black
sacks with special bags for paper and a box for glass. 95% of green and
kitchen waste goes into any one of the 4 compost heaps I have, the
remainder being taken to the excellent council recycling facility in
Sherborne.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

moghouse writes
I am appalled that so many people seem to allow their local councils
to bully, dictate and charge them in the ways described above.

I think the important thing is 'seem to allow'. You don't actually know
what has gone on, who people have spoken to, what we are doing about
electing new councillors, what the choice of candidates is, what the
other issues in he area and how important they are compared to the
removal of rubbish ...

You
should either be looking for some new councillors or standing for
election yourself. I had a little contratemp with my binmen.

You're lucky - you actually see binmen ;-)

explained politely but firmly that I paid my council tax which covered
removal of garbage. The council chose to subcontract the collecting to
the company that employs the bibmen. What it did not do was to pay the
binmen to tell me (the person that pays their wages) how I should
present my garbage, what time of what day I should put it out, or any
other aspect of the job. I put it out, you collect it - simple Tsk!

The difference is ... I don't have to put mine out. At least, I don't
have to take it to the roadside.

--
Kay

Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
Yes
Quote:
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
Yes, green topped bin, Bedford Borough Council

Quote:
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working?
Yes

For info black bin, general rubbish, collected weekly, orange topped bin, paper and plastics, collected alternate weeks, it alternates with the green bin.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Heather-Whitty
writes

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

An email or phonecall to the local councils, or couple of hours
trawling their websites would probably give you better overall info on
what each council provides.

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?

Yes.

2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?

Yes, Huntingdon district council. We can also put in all kitchen food
waste and shredded paper.

3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

We rarely use the bin, most stuff just gets composted here, but on the
occasions we do yes I normally take it to where needed
--
Chris French

Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message

the remainder being taken to the excellent council recycling facility in
Sherborne.
--

Excellent, yes. I know it well. 0/10 for the access roads to it though,
especially on bank holidays!!!

jim, Northampton

Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Heather-Whitty wrote:
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

1 Yes
2 Halton Borough Council (Runcorn - Widnes) provide wheelie bins for
*some* areas - i.e. where houses predominantly have access to rear
gardens or reasonably sized front gardens they provide wheeled bins.
Elsewhere (terraced streets and 'new town' houses with bin cupboards at
the front, they don't generally do 'green' recycling, but then gardens
are often yards for these houses.
3 Half and half. we'll walk grass cuttings from the mower to the bin,
but if disposing of hedge trimmings we'll take the bin to the hedge.

Mother In Law lives in North Somerset; they do roadside 'green'
collections. The householder buys green heavy duty woven plastic type
bags (appx 1 metre cubed) for £1 or so, and if placed on the kerbside
(or top of the drive) they empty them into the lorry and return the bags
to approximately the right house.
We tend to do the heavy work, and the bags get moved to where they are
needed.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

I know now, I meant to save it and check before sending, and clicked on send
instead. And no, I'm not, but I reckon if I who left secondary school at 15
can phrase my native tongue correctly, someone at university should be able
to.

Steve

Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
[...]

You may be right .... or not. Such opinions are, perforce, subjective,
my contention being that the most important attribute is to make oneself
understood. The OP has done that. But, Steve, what that has to do with
the price of fish I have no idea :-))

Cheers,

Tom
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather-Whitty View Post
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the pile of leaves?

Thank you
1. We have a fortnighly kerbside collection of "compostable waste", which unlike many council areas includes all food waste, and is suitable for garden waste. They will only take one bin, and the lid has to be closed, so if you have more waste, as we do from time to time, you have to take it to the tip. I can only just fit one lawn-mowing into the bin, provided I haven't waited too long since the previous mowing.
2. It's a wheelie bin. Chiltern District Council.
3. Only in the front garden. Though maybe once we take the child security gate down I might take it into the back garden.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

Heather-Whitty;866484 Wrote:
I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

1. We have a fortnighly kerbside collection of "compostable waste",
which unlike many council areas includes all food waste, and is
suitable for garden waste. They will only take one bin, and the lid has
to be closed, so if you have more waste, as we do from time to time, you
have to take it to the tip.

That may just be the official line, have you tried talking to the binmen?
Ours are very accommodating, and when I appeared with a massive spiky
berberis on a garden fork they were happy to stand at a safe distance and
let me toss it in.

Steve

Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

"echinosum" wrote in message

[...]

It varies a lot from district to district. Our lot are quite friendly
and will take stuff that overflows the recycling bin willingly -
especially if you have pre sorted glass/cans/plastic for them. The one
daft thing about Hambletons recycling model is there is one box for all
recyclable materials and the poor guys have to sort it as they pick up!

The wagons are hilarious and look like something Heath Robinson
invented. Think 40T truck divided into 4 sections with a huge 4 section
crane mechanism down the long axis with binlets on the end.

OTOH Binmen in Newcastle will use any excuse at all to not do their job.
Salford and Manchester binmen are equally recalcitrant.

Maybe it is a city vs country thing...

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-10-2009, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:33:25 +0100, Heather-Whitty
wrote:

I am carrying out research for a design project at Strathclyde
University and would like to know;

1. If your local council provides a kerbside recycling bin for garden
waste?
2. If they do is it a wheelie bin and which local council is it?
3. When working in your garden do you bring that bin to where your
working? Eg when gathering autumn leaves do you bring the bin to the
pile of leaves?

Thank you

Yes, fortnightly, green bins available at a cost or, as I do, pay
£1.10 each for big, compostable paper sacks. Bins difficult to store
in small houses with small gardens and no garages.
Bath & N.E.Somerset
Taking to the tip imposible for non-drivers.
BTW "where you're working" not "where your working"!

Pam in Bristol