Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I prune my buddlieas now?

That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best time?

Tina

Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best time?

Tina

I would give them a Mini prune, but generally its best done in March. Well,
thats what I've always been led to believe, and mine are very healthy for
it.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:44:25 GMT, "Sheila"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best time?

Tina

I would give them a Mini prune, but generally its best done in March. Well,
thats what I've always been led to believe, and mine are very healthy for
it.

Hmmmm I've always hard pruned as soon as flowers are going
crispy,(done several this year already).
Had no problems so far.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best
time?

Tina

I would give them a Mini prune, but generally its best done in March.
Well,
thats what I've always been led to believe, and mine are very healthy for
it.

Hmmmm I've always hard pruned as soon as flowers are going
crispy,(done several this year already).
Had no problems so far.

I'm tempted to prune them now - so I can get into my front door It was a
bad idea to plant two in pots beside my front door, they've obviously
escaped with their roots in real soil now. Aaargh.

Tina

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered User

I cut them back now to about 4 foot to reduce any windrock in the winter, but prune hard back in March.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I cut them back now to about 4 foot to reduce any windrock in the
winter, but prune hard back in March.

That's how I have pruned for the last twenty years.
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
What Lincolnshire is planning for the 2012 Games!

Sporting-lincs.com
Search 1900+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs.
Now post your own Sport information!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sheila wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best time?

I would give them a Mini prune, but generally its best done in March. Well,
thats what I've always been led to believe, and mine are very healthy for
it.

Yes. But I have pruned mine hard, because I needed the space for
a tent this weekend. Unless the winter is bitterly cold, they
won't suffer from it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message

I cut them back now to about 4 foot to reduce any windrock in the
winter, but prune hard back in March.

That's how I have pruned for the last twenty years.
--

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll do the above. I have 3 and
they are all huge. After being pruned every year, they almost grow as I

Tina

Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best
time?

Tina

Prune back halfway now to avoid winter snow bending and breaking them.
Then finish pruning in March.

DAvy
Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nnk nnk is offline

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best time?

Tina

I've always been told that the best time to prune buddlias is in the
daylight .........

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

Yes. But I have pruned mine hard, because I needed the space for
a tent this weekend. Unless the winter is bitterly cold, they
won't suffer from it.

My mum has some in her garden which I try to look after. They border the
front path, and as mum neds access with a walking frame, I don't prune.....I
shear as needed....damn thing still grows

A machete is a very useful implement, if kept sharp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-12 22:57:46 +0100, "nnk" said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
That's it, really - or should I wait a bit longer? What's the best time?

Tina

I've always been told that the best time to prune buddlias is in the
daylight .........

I'd agree with that. Short of napalm, heaven knows what kills them off!
--
Sacha

Old 13-10-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2009-10-12 22:57:46 +0100, "nnk" said:

I've always been told that the best time to prune buddlias is in the
daylight .........

I'd agree with that. Short of napalm, heaven knows what kills them off!

Lots of feeding and watering :-)

More seriously, they are very prone to fungal infections of their
roots when grown in rich, damp conditions. Under such circumstances,
they are short-lived plants. Beyond that, digging them out below
soil level.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.