Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Lablab beans - for Nick

We ate our crop of lablab beans the other night. (Small crop, because I
had only one plant). I steamed them whole, and they were quite
pleasant, sort between french and soya, nearer soya than french.

Whether they're worth growing depends on whether you like soya beans
enough to want something other than the frozen green soya beans that are
now available, and whether you find lablab easier or more difficult to
grow than soya. My bean was the blue leaved variety sold more for its
decorative value - so gives a lot of pleasure even if the crop is not
large.
--
Kay
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:
We ate our crop of lablab beans the other night. (Small crop, because I
had only one plant). I steamed them whole, and they were quite
pleasant, sort between french and soya, nearer soya than french.

Whether they're worth growing depends on whether you like soya beans
enough to want something other than the frozen green soya beans that are
now available, and whether you find lablab easier or more difficult to
grow than soya. My bean was the blue leaved variety sold more for its
decorative value - so gives a lot of pleasure even if the crop is not
large.

Thanks very much. Mine are still alive and well, but I doubt that
I shall get a crop :-)

I grew soya once, and ate them half-ripe, boiled and dry salted.
That's how I once had them in Japan.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.