Old 19-09-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lablab beans

I tried these. What a waste of effort. The instructions said that
they needed a long growing season, so I planted them in February
indoors. They grew rapidly into healthy 3-4" plants, and then
sat there. Until midsummer, when they started upwards. I planted
them out and they have grown well to very strong plants 8' high.

Of course, they haven't actually flowered yet ....

Has anyone else had any success with those jokers?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2009, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:

I've grown the odd one or two a few times for decoration, and this one
is a 'volunteer'. It didn't appear until well in to the summer, and is
now about 4ft high. But it is in a greenhouse (in a large tub of
hippeastrum). Maybe start them a bit later so they grow without a check?
And greenhouse rather than outdoors?

Thanks. They were in a south-facing conservatory from February
to midsummer!

I've certainly had no problem getting them to flower and produce pods.
The pods are large and flat - I don't know whether they're supposed to
plump up much more? I might try eating them this year.

I was hoping to eat them, but clearly won't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-09-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Has anyone else had any success with those jokers?

Nope. I tried the purple leaf form, in a conservatory; never even got
as far as flowers before it gave up and died.

Thanks very much.

I think it probably needs tropical conditions; high heat and humidity.

From the way mine are growing, I doubt it. They are taking the
dry conditions a lot better than either the runners or French
beans, and don't seem too worried by the temperature, either.
What they may need is 6 months of UK summer conditions, which
you can get in the tropics at altitude.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-09-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It must be at least 15 years or so ago when I grew this as a quick,
stop-gap cover for new fencing while deciding what to plant
permanently. It was hardly any more trouble than growing runner
beans. Maybe the trick is to wait until night temperatures are close
to 10C min and plant against a sunny wall or fence. It's a pretty
thing with rather striking seed pods that I could quite bring myself
to pick for the pot. My main gripe then was that I thought the
foliage was too coarse and dense for the numbers of flower spikes
produced. By early autumn it was getting far too unruly so I pulled
it out without ever discovering whether the roots might overwinter
here.

Ever a glutton for punishment, the following year I gave the spot to
Kennedia coccinea, which turned out to be even more of a thug and
rather mean with its flowers too. Planting 'Scarlet Runner' would
have been a better choice - at least there would have been larger,
brighter flowers in greater profusion plus some tasty beans
afterwards. Lesson learned, I then planted Passiflora x coeruleo-
racemosa, which has behaved perfectly and given many thousands of 4"
wide, reddish purple flowers over the years.

Old 21-09-2009, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
DaveP wrote:
It must be at least 15 years or so ago when I grew this as a quick,
stop-gap cover for new fencing while deciding what to plant
permanently. It was hardly any more trouble than growing runner
beans. Maybe the trick is to wait until night temperatures are close
to 10C min and plant against a sunny wall or fence. It's a pretty
thing with rather striking seed pods that I could quite bring myself
to pick for the pot. My main gripe then was that I thought the
foliage was too coarse and dense for the numbers of flower spikes
produced. By early autumn it was getting far too unruly so I pulled
it out without ever discovering whether the roots might overwinter
here.

Thanks. I am surprised at the way that it didn't start growing even
in my conservatory, though. I wonder what triggers it into climbing
mode.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-09-2009, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:

Thanks. I am surprised at the way that it didn't start growing even
in my conservatory, though. I wonder what triggers it into climbing
mode.

The key difference between what you did and what others have done is
that you started it very early. Maybe it needs higher temperature/light
levels early in its growth? I'm reminded of ipomeas, which seem to do
better from a later sowing, even if it means they're still flowering in
the cool of autumn.

That's a good point. Thanks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-09-2009, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I tried these. What a waste of effort. The instructions said that
they needed a long growing season, so I planted them in February
indoors. They grew rapidly into healthy 3-4" plants, and then
sat there. Until midsummer, when they started upwards. I planted
them out and they have grown well to very strong plants 8' high.

Of course, they haven't actually flowered yet ....

Has anyone else had any success with those jokers?

I've never heard of them, what are they?

Ditto

Yet another species of climbing bean. There are lots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-09-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

Yep, thanks Nick. Just looked at thr RHS website. Doesn't say much about
what the bean is like...... ?

The plants are much like a climbing French or runner, but more robust
and furrier. See other postings about the flowers and beans; I have
not seen any.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.