Old 13-10-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree for interest

Whilst at Grand Designs Live, I heard a talk by James
Alexander-Sinclair, who I have to say was a most engaging and
informative speaker.

He encouraged us not to keep plants simply because they have been
there for a long time, saying that he often finds an overgrown
forsythia in a corner of a garden, boring for most of the year,
and constantly in need of cutting back.

This prompted me to think about replacements for mine. I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 13-10-2009, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris J Dixon writes
Whilst at Grand Designs Live, I heard a talk by James
Alexander-Sinclair, who I have to say was a most engaging and
informative speaker.

He encouraged us not to keep plants simply because they have been
there for a long time, saying that he often finds an overgrown
forsythia in a corner of a garden, boring for most of the year,
and constantly in need of cutting back.

This prompted me to think about replacements for mine. I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?

Amelanchier - a large bush or small multistemmed tree. Bronze foliage in
spring, followed by white blossom, berries, and finally good autumn
colour.

Any of the rowan type Sorbus, with white flowers, berries in yellow,
orange, red, pink or white, depending on species, and good autumn
colour.

Snake bark type maple, for autumn colour and bark pattern through the
winter.
--
Kay
Old 13-10-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon writes
[...]

Also consider Crataegus x persimilis 'Prunifolia'. It's a stunning
cherry-leaved hawthorn: white blossom in May, persistent red berries in
autumn/winter, amazing flaming foliage colour prior to leaf fall. Very
hardy, tolerant of pollution, loved by insects at blossom time, loved by
birds when in berry. It does have 2"-3" stout thorns, though, which may
affect your choice.

Another thought would be any of the Crab apples (Malus species).

Spider

Old 13-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J Dixon View Post
I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?
I strongly recommend a Cornus kousa of some kind. Has showy "flowers" in late spring, then showy berries in late summer (which are actually delicious to eat) and good autumn colour. Though nothing special in mid-winter.

I'm fond of my snake-bark maple. I think the bog-standard Acer davidii are not the best. I have Acer (grosseri var.) hersii (sometimes considered a subspecies of Acer davidii). Hers's Maple, which does what the previous poster says, and has showier snake markings than some. But they do fade a bit in the winter. Acer pensylvanicum is another one with very showy stripes. Other bark-trees that can be considered include the paper-bark maple acer griseum, and many showier birches, though some of those can get a bit big. Unfortunately Arbutus x andrachnoides gets very big.

I find my amelanchiers a bit disappointing. Flowers for 10 minutes, berries not so wonderful unless you choose the variety carefully, and does need a moist non-alkaline soil to grow well.

I rather like kowhai trees, which are some NZ sophoras such as microphylla and tetraptera, and there are also some "improved" garden cultivars. They have tiny evergreen or near evergreen elegant mimosa-like leaves, which provides year-round interest, plus yellow flowers in early spring, and long seed-pods. Though need protection from cold winds.

There are of course many coniferous evergreens. Choose your own favourite.
Old 13-10-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-13 14:55:46 +0100, Chris J Dixon said:

Whilst at Grand Designs Live, I heard a talk by James
Alexander-Sinclair, who I have to say was a most engaging and
informative speaker.

He encouraged us not to keep plants simply because they have been
there for a long time, saying that he often finds an overgrown
forsythia in a corner of a garden, boring for most of the year,
and constantly in need of cutting back.

This prompted me to think about replacements for mine. I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?

Chris

What about one of the fruit trees so that you get the blossom and the
fruit, as long as it's self-polllinating or a neighbour has one, too.
If you live in a suitable area Euryops chrysanthemoides (shrub, not a
tree) is evergreen, flowers with us for something like 8 months of the
year and has grown to over 4' tall with a spread about the same.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-10-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
K wrote:

Amelanchier - a large bush or small multistemmed tree. Bronze foliage in
spring, followed by white blossom, berries, and finally good autumn
colour.

Any of the rowan type Sorbus, with white flowers, berries in yellow,
orange, red, pink or white, depending on species, and good autumn
colour.

I always feel that the autumn leaves clash with the berries, and
prefer plants with one or the other.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-10-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 13 Oct, 14:55, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Whilst at Grand Designs Live, I heard a talk by James
Alexander-Sinclair, who I have to say was a most engaging and
informative speaker.

He encouraged us not to keep plants simply because they have been
there for a long time, saying that he often finds an overgrown
forsythia in a corner of a garden, boring for most of the year,
and constantly in need of cutting back.

This prompted me to think about replacements for mine. I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

If it appears overgrown it's in the wrong place and should be got out.
But try growing a forsythia somewhere that it can reach it's potential
without being mutilated, then you'll have something truly spectacular
- granted it's only for a short time but there aren't really that many
plants that grab your attention on every day of the year.
A good crab like 'Golden Hornet' isn't bad on year round interest - or
as Sacha has already suggested, almost any fruit tree - if it's a
Cherry be prepared to donate your crop to the birds or to protect it
(squirrels will destroy anything short of wire netting if there are
cherries the other side)
We all know about the wonderful foliage on Acers but many of them also
make wonderful winter shapes in maturity.

Rod
Old 13-10-2009, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:

If it appears overgrown it's in the wrong place and should be got out.
But try growing a forsythia somewhere that it can reach it's potential
without being mutilated, then you'll have something truly spectacular
- granted it's only for a short time but there aren't really that many
plants that grab your attention on every day of the year.
A good crab like 'Golden Hornet' isn't bad on year round interest - or
as Sacha has already suggested, almost any fruit tree - if it's a
Cherry be prepared to donate your crop to the birds or to protect it
(squirrels will destroy anything short of wire netting if there are
cherries the other side)
We all know about the wonderful foliage on Acers but many of them also
make wonderful winter shapes in maturity.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.
My garden is not large, and I already have a selection of Acers
of various sizes, (currently looking glorious) though that's not
to say I won't weaken again if I see the right one.

The autumn colour of a liquidamber attracts me, but unless there
is a compact variety, I don't think I have the room.

Chris

Old 13-10-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris J Dixon writes
The autumn colour of a liquidamber attracts me, but unless there is a
compact variety, I don't think I have the room.

Two good plants for autumn colour are spindleberry and its relatives
(deciduous Euonymous) and Fothergillia. The Fothergillia has lovely
fluffy white flowers in spring, but it likes a neutral to acid soil.
--
Kay

Old 14-10-2009, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Amelanchier gets rid of its berries well before the leaves colour, as
does rowan. My yellow, white and pink Sorbus at the moment all have
great clusters of berries but no leaves.

My rowan has coloured and lost at least half its leaves, but most
of the berries are still in place.

Chris

Old 14-10-2009, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Whilst at Grand Designs Live, I heard a talk by James
Alexander-Sinclair, who I have to say was a most engaging and
informative speaker.

He encouraged us not to keep plants simply because they have been
there for a long time, saying that he often finds an overgrown
forsythia in a corner of a garden, boring for most of the year,
and constantly in need of cutting back.

This prompted me to think about replacements for mine. I have
room for a small tree, but wonder what is considered to provide
the greatest amount of year-round interest?

Chris

At the risc of being flamed for hi-jacking this thread, the school where
I work part time has had 3 (soon to be 5) planters installed 1000 x 1000
x 700deep) which I have been told will be planted with 'trees' The
planters are in a large (tennis court+) internal quad surrounded with
single story buildings with a high pitched roofline. I know that there
will be major watering problems but I am assured that 'the children will
do that' (& come in during the 6 week summer break?) The planters have
been filled with qua good quality soil/compost mix and stand on a tarmac
base.

I have ideas such as Acer, Mountain ash etc. Does the panel have any
suggestions?

TIA

Malcolm
Old 14-10-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-14 22:47:32 +0100, Malcolm said:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's a rotten idea, IMO. They won't get watered properly but will
get 'drowned' every so often and allowed to stand in wet compost or to
dry out entirely in between. Either a groundsman is going to tend them
properly or the money might as well be thrown away now. And as for
'trees' being planted in such a way - well, good luck to both the trees
and the tarmac, IMO! Do the people intending to plant these trees
realise that - as a rough rule of thumb - roots go as deep as a canopy
spreads?

Old 15-10-2009, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2009-10-14 22:47:32 +0100, Malcolm said:

[...]

Yes, and Acer and mountain ash are particularly unsuitable. Most of
the former really do not like drying out, and the latter handles
that by running its roots deeply. Sorry.

There are plants that will handle such conditions, such as (you may
laugh) pomegranate. It may drop its leaves when it dries out, but
it won't die - and it's surprisingly hardy. But it's not really
much of a tree, though it's a nice shrub. There may be some trees
from that sort of terrain that can survive drying out, but I can't
think of any offhand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-10-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 2009-10-14 22:47:32 +0100, Malcolm said:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Can't add anything to that, I can't forsee any other outcome - sorry.
Modern supermarket carpark planting does this, though the 'containers'
are hidden below ground. You get stunted growth, dieback and premature
autumn leaf drop. If you did it to an animal you'd be locked up in
short order.

Rod