Old 19-10-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Neglected Acer

I have a potted, 1½ foot Acer in my kitchen which has been there for
18 months and now, unsurprisingly, isn't doing so well. When is the
right time of year to plant this outside? Anything else I should be
doing?

Help and advice please.

Old 19-10-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:43:11 +0100, Steve
wrote:

I have a potted, 1½ foot Acer in my kitchen which has been there for
18 months and now, unsurprisingly, isn't doing so well. When is the
right time of year to plant this outside? Anything else I should be
doing?

You should be saying sorry to it! It should have been outside all
along. Well done for keeping it alive all this time!
I would put the pot in a sheltered position outside NOW, as long as
you do not live in the frozen north. Maybe protect it with fleece in
the depths of winter. If it begins to show growth in Spring plant it
out with TLC.
You could try planting it out now in a sheltered position but it might
be too much of a shock for it.
Why did you keep it indoors? Acers are hardy trees.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-10-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have a potted, 1½ foot Acer in my kitchen which has been there for
18 months and now, unsurprisingly, isn't doing so well. When is the
right time of year to plant this outside? Anything else I should be
doing?

You should be saying sorry to it! It should have been outside all
along. Well done for keeping it alive all this time!
I would put the pot in a sheltered position outside NOW, as long as
you do not live in the frozen north. Maybe protect it with fleece in
the depths of winter. If it begins to show growth in Spring plant it
out with TLC.
You could try planting it out now in a sheltered position but it might
be too much of a shock for it.
Why did you keep it indoors? Acers are hardy trees.

Pam in Bristol

Many thanks for the reply. I bought it from Tesco for 50p because it
wasn't too pretty, wasn't selling and was about to be binned. I
haven't planted it out yet due to sheer laziness on my part. I live in
Bury, Lancashire if that helps.

Old 19-10-2009, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have a potted, 1½ foot Acer in my kitchen which has been there for
18 months and now, unsurprisingly, isn't doing so well. When is the
right time of year to plant this outside? Anything else I should be
doing?

You should be saying sorry to it! It should have been outside all
along. Well done for keeping it alive all this time!
I would put the pot in a sheltered position outside NOW, as long as
you do not live in the frozen north. Maybe protect it with fleece in
the depths of winter. If it begins to show growth in Spring plant it
out with TLC.
You could try planting it out now in a sheltered position but it might
be too much of a shock for it.
Why did you keep it indoors? Acers are hardy trees.

Good advice from Pam. Japanese Maples will not live indoors for all
that long. (Pedantically must point out that some Acers are hardy
but others are frost tender or even tropical. Sorry!)

Get it outside, even in the frozen north. I'd also say to only wrap the
pot, keeping wet fleece against the bark in winter could cause lots
of problems.

Spring planting, but while still dormant, is better unless you can provide
a sheltered spot with very free draining soil. In any case if you have
compact or water retaining soil you might want to consider planting
on a mound rather than digging down.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 19-10-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Also, what is your soil like? Acers do better in soil on the acid
side.

Pam in Bristol

Neglected roses simfan Roses 12 30-04-2011 12:07 AM
neglected orchid plant -- help! J Fortuna Orchids 21 08-02-2004 07:15 PM
Prepping a neglected garden for next yesr? (central VA) The Other Harry Gardening 3 27-06-2003 05:32 AM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
Pruning neglected, overgrown pear tree Ed Evans Gardening 3 24-03-2003 02:08 PM