Old 31-10-2009, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Landscaping/planting schemes needed.

Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures etc
for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well organised
informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or anything
unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but privacy is a
problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks for your time.
Mike

Old 31-10-2009, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote...
Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures
etc for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well
organised informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or
anything unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but
privacy is a problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks for
your time.

The usual idea is to plant large hedges for privacy but I think in such a
large garden strategically planted specimen trees would be preferable and
you could still use the views if there are any.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-10-2009, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote...
Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures
etc for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well
organised informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or
anything unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but
privacy is a problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks
for your time.

The usual idea is to plant large hedges for privacy but I think in such a
large garden strategically planted specimen trees would be preferable and
you could still use the views if there are any.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Go to Google Images and enter 'garden landscaping'. You'll get oodles of
pictures to inspire you.

Spider

Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 31, 10:05*am, "Mike" wrote:
Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures etc
for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well organised
informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or anything
unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but privacy is a
problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks for your time.
Mike

Bobs advice about the trees is spot on.

However, I'm sensing horse before cart in your post.
Perhaps it's just an element of context that is missing, but is your
boss trying to get you to do the job of a professional landscape
architect, (in which case your boss is an idiot!) or just wants you to
gather up pics and stuff as to provide him/her with some inspiration?

On first reading, it sounds like you've been roped in to being the
'garden designer', but, other than the privacy issue, you've not
received much by way of input as to what your 'client' wants:needs /
dreams off, for and from the garden.
The role of the 'client' is central to the whole project, especially
for someone who hasn't much experience from which to draw from when
faced with a client who's reaction to every single suggestion, no
matter the cost, is a shrug of the shoulders and a "I don't care"

If you have being roped in to be the designer, or the check-list-maker
of design, then you would probably be better off popping down to the
library or shops for a book on garden design, specifically one that
provides the principles of garden design.

Alternatively, put phrases such as : designing a large garden design,
or : large garden design giving you, for an example:

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s914085.htm

or type in : principles of garden design, and there's loads.

(it might be that your search terms are not really giving you the
ideas to uncover the, as yet, missing context)
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 31, 10:05*am, "Mike" wrote:
Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures etc
for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well organised
informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or anything
unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but privacy is a
problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks for your time.
Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_design just to add to my last
post;
I used:
garden design features
as search words.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-31 09:05:15 +0000, "Mike" said:

Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures
etc for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well
organised informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or
anything unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but
privacy is a problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks
for your time. Mike

As aquachimp has said, the first thing is to sit down with your client
and ask him how he intends to use the garden. Is he going to have a
children's area, does he want a pond with pump for fish, does he want
somewhere for a washing line, does he want to grow fruit or veg, does
he want a flat, paved area facing south wet to get the sun all day and
on which to have space to eat out? You can't possibl plan anything
until he's told you all these things because it's not your garden. My
stepson has done several gardens for customers and the first step is
the 'back of a fag packet' one. For privacy, the planting can be an
interesting mix of trees and shrubs and perhaps some of those trees
could be fruit trees.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 1, 9:25*am, aquachimp
wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:05*am, "Mike" wrote:

Hello all, I am bewildered trawling the web looking for ideas, pictures etc
for landscaping a large garden for my boss. Any links to well organised
informative sites would be greatfully recieved preferably UK
Planting schemes ( pics) Hard landscape, screening for privacy, or anything
unusaul. The garden is 5 acres the lawns are all layed but privacy is a
problem being open on all sides with little cover. Thanks for your time..
Mike

Bobs advice about the trees is spot on.

However, I'm sensing horse before cart in your post.

Urm... correction...cart before horse