Old 29-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Bryan

Default planting Lotus help needed

Ok went to a ponding store today that I just saw a commercial for on TV.
Looks nice, pretty big considering they only sell ponding type stuff. Anyway
the was a "sale" on for bare root lotus $15 so I bought 1 (and the nice lady
gave me 2 so now how do I plant them, how deep in the dirt (obviously so
the little shoots stick up), how far to submerge them, how much fertilizer?
I've only ground lilies, parrots feather, & hyacinths so far.

Thanks for any help
Bryan

Old 29-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Lori

1. Place container in an area which receives at least 6 hours of
direct sunlight.
2. Fill 1/4 of the container with the garden soil and add steer
manure in a 2:1 ratio respectively. Then add slow release fertilizer
in a 1: 6 ratio to the soil and mix together.
3. Fill the container with soil until 1/2 filled.
4. Dig a small hole in the soil with your hands until the lotus
runner or tuber is able to lay horizontally in the hole with about an
inch of soil over it.
5. Cover the tuber with approximately one inch of soil, keeping the
growing tip exposed out of the soil.
6. Fill container with water.
7. Fertilize monthly with aquatic fertilizer. The amount depends on
the size of your container.
8. Pick off any dead or yellow leaves.
9. Transplant at least once a year. (I would wait until the plant
is overcrowded and stops blooming well)
Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bryan" wrote in message
Ok went to a ponding store today that I just saw a commercial for on TV.
Looks nice, pretty big considering they only sell ponding type stuff.

Anyway
the was a "sale" on for bare root lotus $15 so I bought 1 (and the nice

lady
gave me 2 so now how do I plant them, how deep in the dirt (obviously

so
the little shoots stick up), how far to submerge them, how much

fertilizer?
I've only ground lilies, parrots feather, & hyacinths so far.

My 2 cents...

My neighbor gave me two double lotus tubers, each had 2 runners, and a
miniature tubor with 2 runners. I guess that is 10 runners (I think I may be
mis-remembering that number), if I remember correctly. Anyway, all are
planted in about 6 inches of clay with a few inches of soil on top. The
large tubors are in nearly 4 feet of water, and the miniature is in 3 feet
of water. Within a week or so, I had 6 runners breaking the water surface.

BV.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Bryan

Thanks for the input. Planted and fertilized today. We'll see what happens
:-)

post pictures soon of new pond!

"Bryan" wrote in message
Ok went to a ponding store today that I just saw a commercial for on TV.
Looks nice, pretty big considering they only sell ponding type stuff.

Anyway
the was a "sale" on for bare root lotus $15 so I bought 1 (and the nice

lady
gave me 2 so now how do I plant them, how deep in the dirt (obviously

so
the little shoots stick up), how far to submerge them, how much

fertilizer?
I've only ground lilies, parrots feather, & hyacinths so far.

Thanks for any help
Bryan

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Lotus planting Newbie Bill Ponds 3 18-06-2004 07:05 PM
What planting medium for Lotus. Mickey Ponds 6 11-05-2004 04:05 AM
Lotus Planting Depth Dan Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:22 AM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM