Old 31-10-2009, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Taking Cuttings

A month or two ago I bought the necessary bits and pieces with a view to
taking cuttings. However due to faffing around I didn't.
Is it too late in the year now? I had in mind fuschia, hydrangea,
pelargoniums and suchlike.

mark

Old 31-10-2009, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:16:41 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

A month or two ago I bought the necessary bits and pieces with a view to
taking cuttings. However due to faffing around I didn't.
Is it too late in the year now? I had in mind fuschia, hydrangea,
pelargoniums and suchlike.

mark

What "bits and pieces" did you buy?
As long as you keep them indoors or in a warm greenhouse you should
have some success.
Pelargonium cuttings need to be kept quite dry.
Hydrangea must be quite easy as it was one of the test plants they did
on GW Gardener of the year competition. Reduce the size of any big
leaves. This applies to any plants with big leaves.
Fuchsia is a bit tricky at this time of year. You'd be better to wait
till Spring and have much better success then.
If you've not taken cuttings before, look them up on Google;
"Pelargonium cuttings" etc and you'll get good instructions.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-10-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What "bits and pieces" did you buy?
As long as you keep them indoors or in a warm greenhouse you should
have some success.
Pelargonium cuttings need to be kept quite dry.
Hydrangea must be quite easy as it was one of the test plants they did
on GW Gardener of the year competition. Reduce the size of any big
leaves. This applies to any plants with big leaves.
Fuchsia is a bit tricky at this time of year. You'd be better to wait
till Spring and have much better success then.
If you've not taken cuttings before, look them up on Google;
"Pelargonium cuttings" etc and you'll get good instructions.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam,
Compost, hormone rooting powder, and a large plastic cloche to put over a
growbag tray.
Was going to fill the growbag tray with lots of small pots.
mark

Old 31-10-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote

A month or two ago I bought the necessary bits and pieces with a view to
taking cuttings. However due to faffing around I didn't.
Is it too late in the year now? I had in mind fuschia, hydrangea,
pelargoniums and suchlike.

Might be a problem if all you have is an unheated greenhouse. If you have
one that is heated then it's OK but watch the watering especially for the
Pels. I take them about now usually and water them in well then don't water
until I see the plants beginning to wilt, probably a couple of months or
more, by which time they have rooted.
Too much water when it's cold and damp and with low light will bring on
various rots.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-10-2009, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"mark" wrote

A month or two ago I bought the necessary bits and pieces with a view to
taking cuttings. However due to faffing around I didn't.
Is it too late in the year now? I had in mind fuschia, hydrangea,
pelargoniums and suchlike.

Might be a problem if all you have is an unheated greenhouse. If you have
one that is heated then it's OK but watch the watering especially for the
Pels. I take them about now usually and water them in well then don't
water until I see the plants beginning to wilt, probably a couple of
months or more, by which time they have rooted.
Too much water when it's cold and damp and with low light will bring on
various rots.

Thanks for that Bob.
I'll probably keep them in an unheated room indoors.