Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suitable plants for covering a new fence

On 2 Nov, 17:11, mollie38 wrote:
Hi

We have just taken down 7 conifers which was a nightmare trying to get
the stumps out, and had a new fence erected the fence is 21 feet long I
want something that will grow about 8 feet in height but nothing that
comes out to *bushy .

I had a long boarded fence, and strung it with wires, up which
cotoneaster and honeysuckle grew. Both were fairly trouble-free,
although I periodically cut the top off the honeysuckle.

You might also consider espallier fruit trees, depending on aspect.
They are a bit more work but provide food.

There are two houses up our street with grape vines against fences.
Our milder winters mean they have done far better than I expected.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharvey View Post
On 2 Nov, 17:11, mollie38 wrote:
Hi

We have just taken down 7 conifers which was a nightmare trying to get
the stumps out, and had a new fence erected the fence is 21 feet long I
want something that will grow about 8 feet in height but nothing that
comes out to *bushy .

I had a long boarded fence, and strung it with wires, up which
cotoneaster and honeysuckle grew. Both were fairly trouble-free,
although I periodically cut the top off the honeysuckle.

You might also consider espallier fruit trees, depending on aspect.
They are a bit more work but provide food.

There are two houses up our street with grape vines against fences.
Our milder winters mean they have done far better than I expected.
Hi

Many thanks to all who have replied it has given me some ideas.

Spider I have tried to find your reply that you posted but couldn't find it you will have to forgive me if I posted my pics in the wrong place I was that surprised I even managed to upload them at all. I am just off to the garden centre now to have a look at some of the plants and shrubs mentioned.

Regards
mary
Old 10-11-2009, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mollie38" wrote in message

--
mollie38

Don't apologise, Mary, I don't think it was your fault; rather that of the
server - or my computer corrupting things. Alas, I don't know how to move
my response from one thread to another. We'll just have to hope it turns up
somewhere that you can see it.

Spider

Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Hi Mollie, further to my previous list that I suggested, might I add that a good
self-clinging evergreen climber for the fence would be Hydrangea seemanii.
best wishes Lannerman.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-10 20:44:53 +0000, lannerman
said:

...-
On 2009-11-08 18:09:33 +0000, "Spider"
lid said:
-

"mollie38"
wrote in message
...-

Hi

We have just taken down 7 conifers which was a nightmare trying to
get
the stumps out, and had a new fence erected the fence is 21 feet long
want something that will grow about 8 feet in height but nothing that
comes out to bushy . With the ground being so dry I have treated the
soil first with a bonemeal from the garden centre and then put down
several bags of multi purpose compost it is not too bad now as we
have
had quite a bit of rain so the soil is quite soft I was worried with
the conifers taking all the goodness out of the soil that nothing
that
I planted on the patio seemed to grow so would be grateful of some
ideas.

Many thanks
Mollie-

Hi Mollie,

Your picture urls have turned up in the 'Snake's Head Fritillary'
post!
We
may never know why. Anyway, I have posted a reply there ....

Spider-
---
---
mollie38--

How innovative. Haven't seen that yet!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

It wasn't on RG's computer either. Fortunately, I showed him this
'innovation' on my computer, otherwise I'd think I was seeing things!
imagine everyone else has these urls in their proper place? Typical!
Why
me? :~)

Spider

Hi Mollie, further to my previous list that I suggested, might I add
that a good
self-clinging evergreen climber for the fence would be Hydrangea
seemanii.
best wishes Lannerman.

Will it cling to treated wood? I've only grown it up and over a wall
or seen it growing up a tree. I have no idea what it's like on wood
that's used for fencinig but I have noticed that other things are
sometimes reluctant to get going if they're self-clinging.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
On 2009-11-10 20:44:53 +0000, lannerman
said:

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:
;868947']"Sacha"
...-
On 2009-11-08 18:09:33 +0000, "Spider"
lid said:
-

"mollie38"
wrote in message
...-

[...]

Hi all, yes Sacha thats a good point, some of these climbers take a while to get going but I have always found H. seemanii fairly quick to establish and even on tanalised timber fairly self-clinging. Out of interest, one climber that I love and sell alot of here in Cornwall that can be very slow to get going is
Trachelospermum asiaticum, slightly hardier than T.jasminoides especially in more exposed coastal gardens!
Lannerman.

covering fence Bob Gardening 3 03-12-2007 01:40 AM
Suitable Fence Paint andy United Kingdom 5 17-04-2006 03:26 PM
suitable plants for memorial Tom Gardening 7 23-07-2004 04:02 PM
pH level and suitable plants. Peter Jason Gardening 3 03-12-2003 09:02 PM
What plants are suitable for hard water, pH around 8, medium light ? Alan Silver Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 09-07-2003 05:44 PM