Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default After a common name

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N said:

Thanks evryone!
I promise I'll remember the latin I just need a other name to say
only
to myself in my head so I know what I'm talking about!
I wish I had had latin lessons when I was in school. Quite alot of
the
names are descriptive but the only ones that make any sense to me and
ones like alba and niger etc..
I'll pick it up one day, got ages!
Thanks again.

Of course, it's a lot easier for old ladies, many of whom know Latin.
--
Kay
Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N said:

Thanks evryone!
I promise I'll remember the latin I just need a other name to say only
to myself in my head so I know what I'm talking about!
I wish I had had latin lessons when I was in school. Quite alot of the
names are descriptive but the only ones that make any sense to me and
ones like alba and niger etc..
I'll pick it up one day, got ages!
Thanks again.

Of course, it's a lot easier for old ladies, many of whom know Latin.

OI!! One term, old lady yerself!! ;-)
--
Sacha

Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N
said:

Thanks evryone!
I promise I'll remember the latin I just need a other name to say only
to myself in my head so I know what I'm talking about!
I wish I had had latin lessons when I was in school. Quite alot of the
names are descriptive but the only ones that make any sense to me and
ones like alba and niger etc..
I'll pick it up one day, got ages!
Thanks again.

Of course, it's a lot easier for old ladies, many of whom know Latin.

OI!! One term, old lady yerself!! ;-)

You were not my target ;-)
--
Kay
Old 07-11-2009, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N said:

Thanks evryone!
I promise I'll remember the latin I just need a other name to say only
to myself in my head so I know what I'm talking about!
I wish I had had latin lessons when I was in school. Quite alot of the
names are descriptive but the only ones that make any sense to me and
ones like alba and niger etc..
I'll pick it up one day, got ages!
Thanks again.

Of course, it's a lot easier for old ladies, many of whom know Latin.

OI!! One term, old lady yerself!! ;-)

You were not my target ;-)

I'll sleep better for that reassurance. ;-)) I wonder if there's some
trick of the brain to learning these plant names - something
subconscious, I mean. I forget peoples' names in seconds and what is
worse, I attribute to them names I think they should have but don't
possess. We know a wonderful woman I persist in thinking of as Olga
and her real name could not be more different. This happens to me from
time to time and it's terrible embarrassing as I have to pause to make
sure I'm going to call them by the right name! But for some reason,
plant names go in and (mostly) stick. I can't begin to explain it
because my parents weren't great gardeners, did not know Latin names
and I only started to pick them up in my early 30s from my outlaws.
Perhaps it's because they called everything by their Latin names from
the get-go when talking to me about making a garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 7, 4:57*pm, K wrote:
Sacha writes

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N
said:

*Thanks evryone!
*I promise I'll remember the latin I just need a other name to say only
to myself in my head so I know what I'm talking about!
*I wish I had had latin lessons when I was in school. Quite alot of the
names are descriptive but the only ones that make any sense to me and
ones like alba and niger etc..
*I'll pick it up one day, got ages!
*Thanks again.

Of course, it's a lot easier for old ladies, many of whom know Latin.

OI!! *One term, old lady yerself!! *;-)

You were not my target ;-)
--
Kay

LOL I'm an old lady and I was taught Latin at school but it can't be
me because I have forgotten nearly all of it :-)

Judith

Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N said:

[...]

Don't!!!! I am really bad with names, I have started waving my hand
around vaguely when I forget and my husband steps in with the name.

Judith
Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-08 12:48:50 +0000, Judith in France

Sacha writes

On 2009-11-04 21:17:24 +0000, Jess N

.uk said:

[...]

Unfortunately, Ray's just as bad as me at peoples' names. When someone
comes up to say 'hello' to him and he doesn't call them by their name,
I know it's time for me to fade away because he won't be able to
introduce us! About a month ago a really good friend of ours popped in
unexpectedly and Ray was calling me downstairs to see her. I'm
upstairs miming "WHO IS IT?" and he's smiling fixedly and saing "Come
down, there's a nice surprise here for you". It was hilarious! He
admitted to me later that despite having known them for years, being in
and out of each others' houses etc., he had totally blanked out her
name and obviously, couldn't ask her what it is! As to plant names,
both of us are usually fairly good at those but the other day he said
something to me about a Phlomis and I had a total blank as to what
Phlomis is - luckily the blank resolved itself but it's quite alarming!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip I'll sleep better for that reassurance. ;-)) I wonder if there's
some

trick of the brain to learning these plant names - something subconscious,
I mean. I forget peoples' names in seconds and what is worse, I attribute
to them names I think they should have but don't

snip

My husband forgets peoples names - altho he says that is not true - so he
gives them all nick names including me, he should know who I am by now, :-)

kate