Old 13-11-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default To pee or not to pee?

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:27:05 GMT, Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

The question is answered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/8357134.stm

Don't worry is from the BBC so is quite safe to open.

The NTS must have been reading advice on urg

reading = copying from? )
--

I can't believe it's attracted all this comment, it's a non-question.

As we've all discovered, plant material composts. It sets off by
itself, with or without urine. I've had as small an amount as a
wheelbarrow full of weeds set off. Urinating on the compost stems from
there being no toilets on allotments. AFAIK it does no harm, but if you
don't do it the stuff composts anyway.

Steve

Certainly but AIUI, it's acting as an accelerant. I must admit I don't
quite see why this compost is needed so quickly but.....!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2009, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

But the excuse is that it saves on flushing the loo.
There an article on this within the telegraph also. It surprises me
that it gets so much attention. I had always thought that there were a
number of people here who seemed a tad obsessed with it, but now I see
that they are clearly not the only ones.
I'm used the word "excuse" deliberately because somehow, call it
instinct, I often got the impression that what the somewhat potty pro-
pee proclaimers were really after was an excuse to 'mark' their
territory, as opposed to working in a very large garden, or that of
someone else's where it would be impractical to travel all the way
back and remove muddy footwear, or unwelcomed to do so.

Old 14-11-2009, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 10:50:36 +0000, aquachimp

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if their dogs trot along behind them..........

Old 14-11-2009, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 10:50:36 +0000, aquachimp

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

Taking notes no doubt.

Old 14-11-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 4:44*pm, Janet Baraclough
On 2009-11-14 10:50:36 +0000, aquachimp
said:
I'm used the word "excuse" deliberately because somehow, call it
instinct, I often got the impression that what the somewhat potty pro-
pee proclaimers were really after was an excuse to 'mark' their
territory, as opposed to working in a very large garden, or that of
someone else's where it would be impractical to travel all the way
back and remove muddy footwear, or unwelcomed to do so.

* * *Your animal instincts are awry.

Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

Territory in this sense is not a warning on a boundary fence, mate, or
door, but an unfocused declaration to outline maleness or earthiness
or some-such.

Perhaps their own animal instincts are awry and that they do not post
so dam nearly obsessively on the subject to ward of competitors, to
protect their plants, nor necessarily to directly influence female
readers to be attracted to them given how marking can work that way
too.

If I had a dog and he ****ed on my door to mark it, I think he'd soon
learn to do his marking a bit further away the next time and so,
perhaps, if he were able to, he'd announce on the internet where he
has marked as a means to compensate / make up for the restrictions on
his personal primarily preferred prime ****ing points.

Animal territorial marking is
usually done to warn other animals away
from the den, feeding ground *or mate. So if your theory was *correct,
territorial gardeners would be peeing on the front door,
*kitchen , or their partner, to drive off the opposition. *Or possibly,
around some rare favourite plant to deter other gardeners from taking
cuttings.

* * *Janet.

Old 14-11-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

I've found the thread interesting and entertaining,
and I'd like to think that pee does help compost,
but I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

Which constituent of urine is supposed to accelerate composting?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 15-11-2009, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Which constituent of urine is supposed to accelerate composting?

The urea. It's a highly nitrogenous chemical (actually the first
organic compound to be synthesised - I thought you would want to
know), and is sold commercially as a nitrogenous fertiliser. Many
bacteria can use it to build proteins - consider it a bit like a
beefsteak for bacteria :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 10:41*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
Ah, but my instinct related from the degree to which pro-pee postings
had a tone of gleeful proclamation and some people seemed eager to
repeat the exercise as if the scent of their last posting had faded
away.

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

I've found the thread interesting and entertaining,
and I'd like to think that pee does help compost,
but I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

Which constituent of urine is supposed to accelerate composting?

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Urea Tim. I'm too civilised to actually perch on top of a heap, I
mean, what Lady would ? :-) I do use urine on the compost heap but I
would not actually be perched on it, heaven forbid :-)

Judith
Old 23-11-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah Judith you live in France so you must be doing far worse things than
peeing on your compost heap.

Old 15-11-2009, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 10:19*pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from aquachimp contains these words:

wrote:
On 2009-11-14 10:50:36 +0000, aquachimp
said:
[...]

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

Territory in this sense is not a warning on a boundary fence, mate, or
door, but an unfocused declaration to outline maleness or earthiness
or some-such.
Perhaps their own animal instincts are awry and that they do not post
so dam nearly obsessively on the subject to ward of competitors, to
protect their plants, nor necessarily to directly influence female
readers to be attracted to them given how marking can work that way
too.

* *How does your theory account for the fact that women pee in the
compost heap too?
* *(please don't tell me it's to attract breeding males)

* *Janet

Old 15-11-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

aquachimp writes
wrote:

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.
--
Kay
Old 15-11-2009, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 10:29*am, K wrote:
aquachimp writesOn Nov 14, 10:19*pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death *by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.
--
Kay

That's true, but I'm not thinking about those occasions when peeing in
the compost is mentioned in such circumstance, but those occasions
when it seems to get dragged in even in other threads a bit like
someone wants to show off... er... something.
Old 15-11-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same advice
over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their questions
unanswered.

You bounder, I wanted to say that, I shall go away and sulk!

Alan

--
Kay

Old 16-11-2009, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
wrote:

* *I think it's just that this is one of many topics that have come up
regularly for over a decade
Just like worms for the compost bin, *there's only so much to be said
and some have been saying it a long while.

And sometimes it seems to be getting repeated to death by the same
posters.

It is quite good that some posters are willing to repeat the same
advice over and over again, otherwise newbies would find their
questions unanswered.

I was peeing on my compost and in my watering can long before usenet was
discovered by a callow youth.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-11-2009, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message
from aquachimp contains these words:

Territory in this sense is not a warning on a boundary fence, mate, or
door, but an unfocused declaration to outline maleness or earthiness
or some-such.
Perhaps their own animal instincts are awry and that they do not post
so dam nearly obsessively on the subject to ward of competitors, to
protect their plants, nor necessarily to directly influence female
readers to be attracted to them given how marking can work that way
too.

* *How does your theory account for the fact that women pee in the
compost heap too?
* *(please don't tell me it's to attract breeding males)

Well, my understanding is that animals, both male and female use their
pee to communicate such matters of information, but as you can see it
wouldn't apply to women seeking to attract breeding males _unless_
they were really doing so to as a warning on a boundary, mate or door
as well.
But overall, I don't read through every thread on the subject so, from
what little I have paid attention too, often though I saw it
mentioned, I just came away with the impression it was chiefly a
mainly-male-posters led pet subject.
* *Janet

vegies and pee James Edible Gardening 17 05-10-2006 07:29 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
pee in the pile Mogie Gardening 52 03-10-2003 04:22 AM
Landscape cloth and doggie pee!! Will it smell? MHF Lawns 3 30-07-2003 02:23 AM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 04:56 AM