Old 14-11-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default To pee or not to pee?

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

"Martin" wrote in message
news On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:27:05 GMT, Janet Baraclough

wrote:

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

The question is answered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/8357134.stm

Don't worry is from the BBC so is quite safe to open.

The NTS must have been reading advice on urg

reading = copying from? )
--

I can't believe it's attracted all this comment, it's a non-question.

As we've all discovered, plant material composts. It sets off by itself,
with or without urine. I've had as small an amount as a wheelbarrow full
of weeds set off. Urinating on the compost stems from there being no
toilets on allotments. AFAIK it does no harm, but if you don't do it the
stuff composts anyway.

Steve

Certainly but AIUI, it's acting as an accelerant. I must admit I don't
quite see why this compost is needed so quickly but.....!

There is some stuff on salecannot remember the name but it is marketed as an
organic accelerant for compost and costs a bomb, what I don't understand is
why people pay for it when it obviously comes free!

Alan

That's the theory behind this, of course but it still doesn't explain
why people need compost in *such* a hurry. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-11-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

But, as already mentioned, if the compost acceleration is merely a by-
product to savings on water usage (loo flushing) then the focus is
environmental friendliness and not just to compost quickly
Old 14-11-2009, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 18:26:42 +0000, aquachimp

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

On 2009-11-13 15:47:11 +0000, "shazzbat"

wrote:

[...]

But-but-but, this subject has come up on urg many, many times. One of
the funniest posts ever made here was Judith Lea's account of saving
her accelerant and then tripping up when going downstairs - it was in
the traditions of the best British music hall! And that is just years
and years ago.
So up until now and the Telegraph pouncing on this green theory, it was
well known merely as an accelerant. Their theory sounds a big along
the lines of 'save water shower with a friend'. Then we need to know
how to produce more food on the allotments we're composting to
compensate for the potential results of showering together. ;-)

Old 15-11-2009, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 18:26:42 +0000, aquachimp

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

Old 15-11-2009, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
aquachimp writes

if the compost acceleration is merely a by-
product to savings on water usage (loo flushing) then the focus is
environmental friendliness and not just to compost quickly

I must admit that since I had a water meter installed, the motivation to
"water" my compost heap has increased. It's a dreadful waste of
drinkable water to flush a cistern full with every pee.

And as we get older the frequency increases...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 15-11-2009, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:

I must admit that since I had a water meter installed, the motivation to
"water" my compost heap has increased. It's a dreadful waste of
drinkable water to flush a cistern full with every pee.

I remember being told many years ago
that the sewer system required a certain amount of water to pass through it,
so cisterns served a necessary purpose.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 16-11-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
Gordon H wrote:

I must admit that since I had a water meter installed, the motivation to
"water" my compost heap has increased. It's a dreadful waste of
drinkable water to flush a cistern full with every pee.

I remember being told many years ago
that the sewer system required a certain amount of water to pass through it,
so cisterns served a necessary purpose.

You are correct of course. On my property the surface water drains
run into the sewage drains, so there is usually a reasonable flow,
despite the arid Manchester climate.

Let there be a drought in any town or city, and one suddenly becomes
aware of the drains...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-11-2009, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:52:08 +0000, Gordon H wrote:

It's a dreadful waste of drinkable water to flush a cistern full with
every pee.

If it's yellow, let in mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.

We tend to do that as more water that is really required goes into
the septic tank.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-11-2009, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message
,
aquachimp writes

if the compost acceleration is merely a by-
product to savings on water usage (loo flushing) then the focus is
environmental friendliness and not just to compost quickly

I must admit that since I had a water meter installed, the motivation to
"water" my compost heap has increased. It's a dreadful waste of
drinkable water to flush a cistern full with every pee.

And as we get older the frequency increases...

We have a water meter, and when it was fitted, I told my wife about the
rules in an American State which is 'if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's
brown flush it down' and that is how we deal with that problem, fortunately
we do not get many visitors!(:-)

Alan

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 15-11-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

[...]

The problem with that theory in respect of this material, is that it has to
be diluted with water!

Alan

Old 15-11-2009, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 5:08*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

Old 15-11-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

said:

[...]

Really, Are you saying that all those who like to pee on their compost
have to bring a can of water with them as well?

No, just that if you are stupid enough to buy this product from a garden
centre you are instructed to dilute it with water.

If I can remember I will have a look round the next GS I go to, to see if
they have it.

But don't bank on it, cos by the time I have pressed the 'send' button I
will have forgotten all about it!(:-(

Alan

Old 18-11-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"alan.holmes" wrote:

No, just that if you are stupid enough to buy this product from a garden
centre you are instructed to dilute it with water.

If I can remember I will have a look round the next GS I go to, to see if
they have it.

But don't bank on it, cos by the time I have pressed the 'send' button I
will have forgotten all about it!(:-(

I think you're talking about Garotta (if that's how it's spelt?), Alan?

I don't think so, garotta is pellets whereas the stuff I am talking about is
a liquid.

Alan

--
AnneJ

Old 15-11-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-15 16:08:29 +0000, "alan.holmes" said:

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

[...]

So dilute your water with whiskey. ;-))
--
Sacha

Old 15-11-2009, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-15 16:08:29 +0000, "alan.holmes"
said:

On 2009-11-14 15:38:19 +0000, "alan.holmes"

said:

[...]

Now that is a good idea, why didn't I think of that, perhaps it is because I
cannot think any more!

Alan

--
Sacha

vegies and pee James Edible Gardening 17 05-10-2006 07:29 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
pee in the pile Mogie Gardening 52 03-10-2003 04:22 AM
Landscape cloth and doggie pee!! Will it smell? MHF Lawns 3 30-07-2003 02:23 AM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 04:56 AM