Old 17-11-2009, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spider's garden pics

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:45:09 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

Hello everyone!

With some considerable help from my IT manager (RG), I've finally put a
few
pics on the web for all to see. Try the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider.AAG

Fingers crossed ...

Nice ones Spider.
What size is your garden?

Thank you. It's approximately 100' x 56.5'. It's a corner plot so the
semi-det is wrapped in a C-shaped garden. The largest part of the plot is
at the rear, and that's where most of the pics are taken. The patio,
however, is at the front. The rear 'patio' is dreadful concrete
hardstanding, so not worthy of a photo! :~(. We can't change it because the
dpc is already *barely* at its 2-brick limit. I usually pretty it up with
a few pots in summer. I don't know if you can tell from the pics, but the
garden is quite steep, except for the flattish area we carved out for the
pond and borders.

Spider

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-11-2009, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:
One thing, if you build it deep enough with straight sides you won't have
Heron problem as they won't be able to wade in it. Ours is a metre deep
at
the sides and although Herons have looked they always fly off empty
beaked.

Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

You only have a Kingfisher problem with small fish that they can swallow and
usually if the pond is deep enough and has something for the fish to hide
in, couple of pots on their side, they will dive to the bottom and hide as
soon as they spot it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-11-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

Now that I would like to see :~).

My partner's mum has had kingfisher Issues since getting rid of the
heron. The pond is now netted.

(love your dismayed 'smiley' btw).

I like to think of it as "slightly sad".
Or "needs cosmetic surgery".

Old 17-11-2009, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-17 15:04:19 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:
One thing, if you build it deep enough with straight sides you won't have
Heron problem as they won't be able to wade in it. Ours is a metre deep
at
the sides and although Herons have looked they always fly off empty
beaked.

Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

You only have a Kingfisher problem with small fish that they can swallow and
usually if the pond is deep enough and has something for the fish to hide
in, couple of pots on their side, they will dive to the bottom and hide as
soon as they spot it.

And not come out days if their reaction to a kingfisher is the same as
to a heron. Every time we get a heron around, the fish disappear to
the bottom and leave me convinced the heron has cleaned out the pond!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-11-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-16 18:45:09 +0000, "Spider" said:

Hello everyone!

With some considerable help from my IT manager (RG), I've finally put a
few
pics on the web for all to see. Try the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider.AAG

Fingers crossed ...

Spider

Lovely photos though a few of them should have come with a health warning
for me. ;-))

Oops, sorry about that, Sacha! :~) They are *everywhere* this year!

They certainly are - I glance round nervously before going to bed every
night, just to check the room is spider-less!

I very much like the hot border and the bird
bath, too but it all looks so beautifully laid out and cared for.

Thank you. The hot border is one of my favourite bits. You could toast
bread there in summer! I've made about three bird baths. They're so easy
to do and so much more individual than shop bought. The 'moon bowl' also
acts as a bird bath. That was a gift from my local gc after I got locked in
their premises and needed rescuing by the fire brigade! :~} Do you remember
that?

No! Senility, or what - me, I mean! Please tell the story because it
sounds like one of those very funny if not at the time, things!

Do you have Alstroemeria pulchella? If not, give me a nudge in spring if
you'd like some.

No, I don't have A. pulchella. I just googled for a pic and it's lovely,
esp. those greeny bits! Yes, I'd love a bit, please Sacha. That's really
sweet of you, and Ray, of course. I've always had a thing about
Alstromeria; it's one of the things I hunt for at the RHS Hampton Court
Flower Show every year. Thank you :~))

Yes, the A. pulchella is lovely, IMO. Ray has it here in the small
double but we've seen it growing outdoors in Totnes without any trouble
and it had obviously come through last winter. I love its rather
classy colours so will certainly send you on a bit. Just don't forget
that nudge!

Old 17-11-2009, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

You only have a Kingfisher problem with small fish that they can swallow

I'd happily buy or breed small fish if I thought they might induce a
"kingfisher problem" :-)

I think I suggested something similar. It didn't go down well.
I find it amusing that someone who puts umpteen bird enticing
treats out then has an absolute fit when her fish get a bit of
excitement!

Old 17-11-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Spider wrote:
Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

Now that I would like to see :~).

My partner's mum has had kingfisher Issues since getting rid of the
heron. The pond is now netted.

(love your dismayed 'smiley' btw).

I like to think of it as "slightly sad".
Or "needs cosmetic surgery".

I think I'd be only too pleased to feed a kingfisher.
:~)
Spider

Old 17-11-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-17 14:34:58 +0000, "Spider" said:
Spider

(snip snip)

[...]

It happened about 5 yrs ago. I had been given loads of Nat garden vouchers
for Christmas so, on 29th Dec I went to my local gc to spend them. I spent
so long looking round that, by the time I went indoors to pay, I realised I
couldn't get into the shop .. or pay .. or get out because the very high,
barbed wire reinforced gates were locked :~(! I rang RG on my mobile (one
time I blessed that invention) and asked him to ring the GC in case there
was a key holder mentioned on their message recording. He did .. there
wasn't. He rang the police. (I didn't dare. You know my surname, Sacha.
Add that to a rescue call from a gc over the Christmas hols ... they'd have
thought it was a wind up! :~)) ). Anyway, the police called the fire
brigade (while a lady pc talked to me on the phone to see if I was all
right) .. the fire brigade arrived and eventually got me out over a very
high wall (had it been easy, I'd have climbed out myself!) and RG drove me
home. I called back at the GC the next day and the proprietor, Roger,
offered me the moon bowl free of charge (I had selected it the previous day)
to make up for my ordeal. He also made his staff apologise. I confess I've
always felt bad for having to bother the fire brigade, especially since my
father was a fireman.

[...]

I won't forget, Sacha. Thanks ever so.
Spider

Old 17-11-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" contains these words:
wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:
One thing, if you build it deep enough with straight sides you
won't have
Heron problem as they won't be able to wade in it. Ours is a metre
deep
at
the sides and although Herons have looked they always fly off empty
beaked.

Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

You only have a Kingfisher problem with small fish that they can swallow

I'd happily buy or breed small fish if I thought they might induce a
"kingfisher problem" :-)

Minnows would be perfect but they do demand good water quality and some
movement. I have suggested before that White Cloud Mountain Minnows might be
OK and survive outside in the UK but they would need to be introduced in the
heat of summer and, again, they like some movement.
You also need a suitable perch over the pond so it can perch and spy and
then knock seven bells out of any catch.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-11-2009, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 17, 12:11*pm, "Spider" wrote:
wrote in message

Spider wrote:
Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. *:-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)
Now *that I would like to see :~).

My partner's mum has had kingfisher Issues since getting rid of the
heron. *The pond is now netted.

(love your dismayed 'smiley' btw).

I like to think of it as "slightly sad".
Or "needs cosmetic surgery".

I think I'd be only too pleased to feed a kingfisher.
:~)
Spider

Hello, I was just wondering what this site was about?
thx!

Old 18-11-2009, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-17 14:34:58 +0000, "Spider" said:
Spider

(snip snip)

[...]

Oh dear and splutter! Yes, now I do remember and that the surname
would produce a certain "are you having me on" response! I do think
that this goes down in the annals of urg as one of our better 'member
stories'.

[...]

You're most welcome, it's a lovely plant.

Old 18-11-2009, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

With some considerable help from my IT manager (RG), I've
finally put a few pics on the web for all to see. Try the link
below:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider.AAG

Wow, that's neat. Puts my rambling mess to shame. Not got a few
hours to spare each week I suppose :-)

That duck pond looks a bit small though...

Mike

Old 18-11-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 16, 6:45*pm, "Spider" wrote:
Hello everyone!

With some considerable help from my IT manager (RG), I've finally put a few
pics on the web for all to see. *Try the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider.AAG

Fingers crossed ...

Spider

Magnificent Spider, bravo. I envy your skill. Do you want to swop
white Datura for some of yours?

Judith
Old 18-11-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 18, 6:55*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

Hello everyone!

With some considerable help from my IT manager (RG), I've
finally put a few pics on the web for all to see. *Try the link
below:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider.AAG

Wow, that's neat. Puts my rambling mess to shame. Not got a few
hours to spare each week I suppose :-)

That duck pond looks a bit small though...

Mike

Sheesh... stop it, your garden is a delight, have you a few hours to
spare for my garden perchance? :-)

Judith
Old 19-11-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

"Spider" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

With some considerable help from my IT manager (RG), I've finally put a
few pics on the web for all to see. Try the link below:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Spider.AAG

Wow, that's neat. Puts my rambling mess to shame. Not got a few hours to
spare each week I suppose :-)

That duck pond looks a bit small though...

Mike

Thank you, Mike :~). Relax, it's not quite so neat at the moment ... works
not in progress, you know the sort of thing, I'm sure.

Having seen some of your garden pics, I think the 'rambling' bit describes
your estate, rather than 'mess'! It's bound to be difficult keeping up
with a big garden, but what I've seen of it is very pleasing indeed. You're
lucky to have such a big garden. I'd love that. As to spare hours, you
must be joking! :~) Despite what you see in my carefully selected pics,
many areas need re-making now. It'll be fun - when I remember where I left
my energy - but somewhat challenging on my steep, clay patch.

The 'duck' pond will stay much as it is, except for removing occasional
heaps of Iris pseudoacorus. As you observed, the ducks seem perfectly happy
with the way it is:~). The reason I took that picture, btw, is because the
ducks settled on it on the 1st April. If I hadn't taken the photo, no-one
would have believed that my weeny pond could attract ducks! The mallards,
incidentally, flew in from a local park pond, of which we have many locally.
They still come every year, so I have to keep an eye on my two cats.

Spider