Old 26-11-2009, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Mice blasted mice

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:04:28 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just
recently. They're shameless!
Beautiful tho. I love seeing them but not when they're pinching my
seeds
!
Any veg we grow are for sale, so they're in pots in the greenhouses
and
more in danger from stray mice, if any are around. I sometimes put out
sultanas for the pheasants, too and they get quite silly about them.
--

The old poachers used to soak sultanas in whisky and then collect up
the

I'd heard of that trick and no, it doesn't!

I don't think the poachers were intending sport though, were they? Just
an easy, efficient and quiet kill.
--
Kay
Old 26-11-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

[...]

Oh definitely - food for the pot etc. But I do agree with Val that
it's a bit hard on the poor old pheasants to exploit their weakness!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-11-2009, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

[...]

You reckon the pheasants prefer the alternative? ;-)
--
Kay
Old 26-11-2009, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

[...]

Whooping it up on raisins and bring on the dancing hens? You bet. ;-)

Old 26-11-2009, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-26 16:31:53 +0000, K said:

Sacha writes
Oh definitely - food for the pot etc. But I do agree with Val that
it's a bit hard on the poor old pheasants to exploit their weakness!

You reckon the pheasants prefer the alternative? ;-)

Whooping it up on raisins and bring on the dancing hens? You bet. ;-)

No, I meant the alternative which ends up with them being shot in a
sporting manner, as I'm sure you knew ;-)

--
Kay

Old 26-11-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-26 16:31:53 +0000, K said:

Sacha writes
Oh definitely - food for the pot etc. But I do agree with Val that
it's a bit hard on the poor old pheasants to exploit their weakness!
You reckon the pheasants prefer the alternative? ;-)

Whooping it up on raisins and bring on the dancing hens? You bet. ;-)

No, I meant the alternative which ends up with them being shot in a
sporting manner, as I'm sure you knew ;-)

They probably stand more chance of getting away on a shoot. Of
course, if they're halfway sensible, they walk and don't get shot
anyway.

Old 18-12-2009, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-26 16:31:53 +0000, K said:

Sacha writes
Oh definitely - food for the pot etc. But I do agree with Val
that it's a bit hard on the poor old pheasants to exploit their
weakness!
You reckon the pheasants prefer the alternative? ;-)

Whooping it up on raisins and bring on the dancing hens? You bet. ;-)

No, I meant the alternative which ends up with them being shot in a
sporting manner, as I'm sure you knew ;-)

They probably stand more chance of getting away on a shoot. Of course,
if they're halfway sensible, they walk and don't get shot anyway.

Except at the end of the eason on special walked-up days for keepers,
pickers-up and beaters - birds which don't fly tend to produce broods of
more birds that don't fly...

--
Rusty
Old 28-11-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-28 13:11:25 +0000, VivienB said:

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:26:18 +0000, Sacha wrote:

if they're halfway sensible,

You were previously talking about pheasants. 'Sensible' is not a
description that is commonly used for such beautiful, daft birds!

I must admit the phrase 'bird brained' could have been coined for them!
Driving down a lane with one running in front of you has to be one of
the most frustrating things to do in the country! After a very, very
long time, it occurs to this avian genius that it does have wings and
getting up and away over a hedge is preferable to the alternative!

Old 18-12-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

VivienB wrote:
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 23:26:18 +0000, Sacha wrote:

if they're halfway sensible,

You were previously talking about pheasants. 'Sensible' is not a
description that is commonly used for such beautiful, daft birds!

On the contrary - see my post ^ up there somewhere.

--
Rusty
Old 26-11-2009, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-11-25 23:59:17 +0000, "Christina Websell"

On 2009-11-25 08:57:51 +0000, Aries
said:

[...]

Way to go!!

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Blasted mice Broadback United Kingdom 20 17-02-2007 05:45 PM
Oh, shucks! My paph malipoense bud-blasted :-( J Fortuna Orchids 9 25-08-2006 02:25 AM
help - blasted squirrels garden virgin United Kingdom 14 01-05-2006 11:57 AM
Those Blasted Junipers Iris Cohen Plant Science 3 08-12-2003 09:42 PM
Aargh! Blasted Orchids! Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-03-2003 09:25 PM