Old 27-11-2009, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Horticultural mouses!

Not only have the mice been in the kitchen and have eaten all my
spaghetti squash seeds ... the damned things have 'planted' them in all
the plant pots along the kitchen window! My fuschia cutting that was
doing so well (about 12" tall now! No idea what it came off, probably
never will know now!) is sharing its 6" pot with 12 squash plants!!

I wonder if the chickens will eat spaghetti squash plants ...

(it's a damned shame, cos I'm not going to have any seeds to plant in
Feb, but I don't think I can keep the plants growing till it's safe to
put them out!)

Old 27-11-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not only have the mice been in the kitchen and have eaten all my
spaghetti squash seeds ... the damned things have 'planted' them in all
the plant pots along the kitchen window! My fuschia cutting that was
doing so well (about 12" tall now! No idea what it came off, probably
never will know now!) is sharing its 6" pot with 12 squash plants!!

I wonder if the chickens will eat spaghetti squash plants ...

(it's a damned shame, cos I'm not going to have any seeds to plant in
Feb, but I don't think I can keep the plants growing till it's safe to
put them out!)

You plant them in February? How do you keep them warm and with enough space
until June when you can plant them out?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-11-2009, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
(it's a damned shame, cos I'm not going to have any seeds to plant in
Feb, but I don't think I can keep the plants growing till it's safe to
put them out!)

You plant them in February? How do you keep them warm and with enough space
until June when you can plant them out?

I think I plant my first batch of courgettes and squashes in Feb, yes.
I could be mis-remembering. They go in pots on the window sill, then
out into the greenhouse. Iirc, they get planted out in about April.

Of course, this could be why I tend to lose a lot of them. :-/
(but normally to snails, and from planting them out when they are too
small, rather than from frost!)

Old 28-11-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
(it's a damned shame, cos I'm not going to have any seeds to plant in
Feb, but I don't think I can keep the plants growing till it's safe to
put them out!)

You plant them in February? How do you keep them warm and with enough
space
until June when you can plant them out?

I think I plant my first batch of courgettes and squashes in Feb, yes.
I could be mis-remembering. They go in pots on the window sill, then
out into the greenhouse. Iirc, they get planted out in about April.

Of course, this could be why I tend to lose a lot of them. :-/
(but normally to snails, and from planting them out when they are too
small, rather than from frost!)

Crikey! Here in N. Wilts I don't even start mine in seed trays in the
greenhouse until late May. They always catch up anyway, and we have had 140
lbs of winter squash this year, and about 20 lbs of pumpkins and marrows and
other earlier perishers. Being short of storage space, I have to store the
winter squashes on newspaper on the floor under the dining room table, so no
dinner parties until next spring.

someone

Old 29-11-2009, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote
wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought, we start ours about the same time, end of April
beginning of May and they are still a bit big by the time we plant out some
years (Chelsea time)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Not only have the mice been in the kitchen and have eaten all my
spaghetti squash seeds ... the damned things have 'planted' them in all
the plant pots along the kitchen window! My fuschia cutting that was
doing so well (about 12" tall now! No idea what it came off, probably
never will know now!) is sharing its 6" pot with 12 squash plants!!

I wonder if the chickens will eat spaghetti squash plants ...

(it's a damned shame, cos I'm not going to have any seeds to plant in
Feb, but I don't think I can keep the plants growing till it's safe to
put them out!)

You plant them in February? How do you keep them warm and with enough
space until June when you can plant them out?

I picked several squashes in the 'greenhouse' yesterday. I shall be
planting cucumbers there in March.

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
/snip/
Crikey! Here in N. Wilts I don't even start mine in seed trays in the
greenhouse until late May. They always catch up anyway, and we have had 140
lbs of winter squash this year, and about 20 lbs of pumpkins and marrows and
other earlier perishers. Being short of storage space, I have to store the
winter squashes on newspaper on the floor under the dining room table, so no
dinner parties until next spring.

Get some of those net carrot/onion sacks from a greengrocer and hang the
squashes &c up in them.

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
I picked several squashes in the 'greenhouse' yesterday. I shall be
planting cucumbers there in March.

Why is greenhouse quoted? (Is it blue?)

I picked a couple of pound of tomatoes in the unheated greenhouse
number 2 yesterday. (Greenhouse number 1, which is ours as opposed to
our neighbour's stopped producing a month or so back, and has now had
most of the plants removed and fed to the chickens)

Old 18-12-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Why is greenhouse quoted? (Is it blue?)

'Greenhouse' is a mish-mash of sheets of corrugated PVC, offcuts of
polycarbonate Twinwall, and agricultural polythene, leaning-to against
the part-finished garage and the workshop in the angle these two
buildings enclose.

It's more like a conservatory, really.

Ah, I see.
Heh. We have one crappy greenhouse, and we are squatting in our
neighbours' much better greenhouse cos she doesn't use it any more other
than to over winter her geraniums. It's a win-win - we get to grow
tomatoes melons and peppers in a huge space, she gets our surplus crop
as a 'thank you'. :-)