Old 16-12-2009, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Snow! (and chickens)

Just noticed it's started to snow! (Essex)
Is there anything I need to do for the chickens before I go out
in an hour or so?
(they'll be loose to the pen until their daddy comes home to put
them to bed around 6)

Old 16-12-2009, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Dunno. But I do recall a couple of hours before it started to snow one
winter a feral chicken that had spent the summer living wild on our land
and roosting in trees (after escaping from a neighbours flock) turned up
outside the hen pen wanting to be let in.

It had proved impossible to catch on several occasions as it was sleek,
fast and flew surprisingly well. The others all flew like bricks. If it
had understood how chicken wire worked it could easily have flown high
enough to get over the fence.

lol I love it) Did it live with your others from then on?

Old 16-12-2009, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Dunno. But I do recall a couple of hours before it started to snow one
winter a feral chicken that had spent the summer living wild on our land
and roosting in trees (after escaping from a neighbours flock) turned up
outside the hen pen wanting to be let in.

It had proved impossible to catch on several occasions as it was sleek,
fast and flew surprisingly well. The others all flew like bricks. If it
had understood how chicken wire worked it could easily have flown high
enough to get over the fence.

lol I love it) Did it live with your others from then on?

Yes. It was called "little black hen". It was happier roosting in trees
rather than the henhouse though. Much lighter and a lot more athletic
than the other birds could fly about 10' into the air from a standing
start! I think it liked the easier living since it didn't run away from
us the next summer. But it liked to roost in the conker tree.

All black and I never did figure out what breed it was. I thought it
would be a bit cheeky going round to the neighbour and asking (they had
a flock of hundred in several varieties).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-12-2009, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
lol I love it) Did it live with your others from then on?

Yes. It was called "little black hen". It was happier roosting in trees
rather than the henhouse though. Much lighter and a lot more athletic than
the other birds could fly about 10' into the air from a standing start! I
think it liked the easier living since it didn't run away from us the next
summer. But it liked to roost in the conker tree.

Athletic indeed

All black and I never did figure out what breed it was. I thought it would
be a bit cheeky going round to the neighbour and asking (they had a flock
of hundred in several varieties).

) Did you get eggs from her?

Old 17-12-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Just noticed it's started to snow! (Essex)
Is there anything I need to do for the chickens before I go out
in an hour or so?
(they'll be loose to the pen until their daddy comes home to put
them to bed around 6)

This sort of weather, wet, cold, snow, sleet is exactly why the hen run was
built with a solid roof

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n005290709.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n006290709.jpg

Old 17-12-2009, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:03:51 +0000, wafflycat wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
Just noticed it's started to snow! (Essex)
Is there anything I need to do for the chickens before I go out
in an hour or so?
(they'll be loose to the pen until their daddy comes home to put
them to bed around 6)

This sort of weather, wet, cold, snow, sleet is exactly why the hen run was
built with a solid roof

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n005290709.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n006290709.jpg

Love the doormat! I can't train mine to wipe their feet though :-(

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 17-12-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:03:51 +0000, wafflycat wrote

snipped..

This sort of weather, wet, cold, snow, sleet is exactly why the hen run
was
built with a solid roof

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n005290709.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n006290709.jpg

Love the doormat! I can't train mine to wipe their feet though :-(

*snork*

Would that The Laydeez use the doormat. Their manners are, however, foul ;-)