Old 19-12-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloody global warming!

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

Alan

Old 19-12-2009, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote...

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

I didn't see it get above freezing here today, it was - 4.5°C first thing
and the highest was only 0°C at 2 pm.
More snow due in the early hours according to the forecast.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-12-2009, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:
It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

Just looked out the window and there are big fluffy white chunks floating
down again. That's just over 24 hours relatively snow free till now!
Old 20-12-2009, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 20, 12:21*am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"alan.holmes" *wrote...

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

I didn't see it get above freezing here today, it was - 4.5°C first thing
and the highest was only 0°C at 2 pm.
More snow due in the early hours according to the forecast.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Yes, well; funny thing about scientists... back in the 70"s they were
predicting a mini ice-age.
Old 20-12-2009, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

Alan

Indeed, and, if you bother to investigate some of the details, you will
discover that an increase in the average global temperature by 2 deg C
could still end up with pack ice in the straights of Dover and icebergs
off Newcastle.

That is what an average means - with 4 to 5 deg increases in parts of
Africa, it is going to get colder in other places. The real problem is
it is impossible to predict what is going to happen where ......

Anyway, with the total failure of the world's so-called leaders in
Copenhagen, you don't have anything to worry about - homo sapiens is
buggered without a doubt. Within 100 years, there will be unprecedented
climate change, unquestionably. My guess is that in climate terms, we in
the UK won't do too badly, apart from the 100 million people from
southern Europe and N Africa moving North. If we think immigration is a
problem now, wait until 2110, when half the population of Portugal,
Spain, Italy and France will have decided that the warm, wet UK is a
better bet than than the deserts of their own countries.

The only consolation I can see is that lareg parts of the southern USA,
especially Texas will be under water .....

Personally, I don't care - I'll be dead long before then and have no
kids to worry about, so I'm going to keep generating CO2 and methane, to
help the rest of you.

Larry

Old 20-12-2009, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
aquachimp writes
On Dec 20, 12:21*am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"alan.holmes" *wrote...

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

I didn't see it get above freezing here today, it was - 4.5°C first thing
and the highest was only 0°C at 2 pm.
More snow due in the early hours according to the forecast.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Yes, well; funny thing about scientists... back in the 70"s they were
predicting a mini ice-age.

Actually, that is a myth. The (then weak) consensus in the scientific
press, rather than the popular media, was for warming.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...lobal-cooling-
myth/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-12-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

Alan

Indeed, and, if you bother to investigate some of the details, you will
discover that an increase in the average global temperature by 2 deg C
could still end up with pack ice in the straights of Dover and icebergs
off Newcastle.

That is what an average means - with 4 to 5 deg increases in parts of
Africa, it is going to get colder in other places. The real problem is
it is impossible to predict what is going to happen where ......

Are you saying man has or will cause this or that man can prevent it? In
other words, is man involved here?

Anyway, with the total failure of the world's so-called leaders in
Copenhagen, you don't have anything to worry about - homo sapiens is
buggered without a doubt. Within 100 years, there will be unprecedented
climate change, unquestionably. My guess is that in climate terms, we in
the UK won't do too badly, apart from the 100 million people from
southern Europe and N Africa moving North. If we think immigration is a
problem now, wait until 2110, when half the population of Portugal,
Spain, Italy and France will have decided that the warm, wet UK is a
better bet than than the deserts of their own countries.

The same question applies again.

The only consolation I can see is that lareg parts of the southern USA,
especially Texas will be under water .....

and again the same question applies.

Personally, I don't care - I'll be dead long before then and have no
kids to worry about, so I'm going to keep generating CO2 and methane, to
help the rest of you.

Larry

But isn't that what the tree huggers are saying, that man CAN do something
about it?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 20-12-2009, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 20, 10:36*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
aquachimp writes

On Dec 20, 12:21*am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"alan.holmes" *wrote...

It's a right pain, this global warming, we only had three inches of snow
yesterday, and the temperature rose to 2 degrees!

I didn't see it get above freezing here today, it was - 4.5°C first thing
and the highest was only 0°C at 2 pm.
More snow due in the early hours according to the forecast.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Yes, well; funny thing about scientists... back in the 70"s they were
predicting a mini ice-age.

Actually, that is a myth.

Oh good, so that means this bit of cold stuff we're now having will
end in a few days.

As for the "myth" bit, well, I've read through much of the rather good
link you've given and see why it's called a myth; though at the time,
listening to various "experts" on the radio and on telly talking it up
quite assertively didn't give an impression of "myth" and, what with
being rather young at the time, I would not have been best placed to
know stuff, such as being able to ask them were their comments "peer-
reviewed".

The (then weak) consensus in the scientific
press, rather than the popular media, was for warming.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...he-global-cool...
myth/

Great site for info. Thank-you; I particularly like how it tackles
issues in relatively bite-sized moments and in a layman's language.
And the "Will-Full ignorance" article was most revealing.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 20-12-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
On Dec 20, 10:36 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
aquachimp writes

Yes, well; funny thing about scientists... back in the 70"s they were
predicting a mini ice-age.

Actually, that is a myth.

A: Oh good, so that means this bit of cold stuff we're now having will
end in a few days.
_______________________________
That 'cold stuff' is weather, not climate.

Old 20-12-2009, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Yes, well; funny thing about scientists... back in the 70"s they were
predicting a mini ice-age.

Actually, that is a myth. The (then weak) consensus in the scientific
press, rather than the popular media, was for warming.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...lobal-cooling-
myth/

It depends what time-scale you are talking about.
I think the Milankovitch cycle theory,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles#100.2C000-year_problem,
is generally accepted,
and according to that we are near the end of an inter-glacial period
(in a 100,000 year cycle).
But that is talking about thousands of years;
global warming is talking about the next 100 years.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 20-12-2009, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:

[...]

Personally, I think there was a slim chance of stopping the worst
effects - caused by man, directly or indirectly, pumping CO2 and methane
into the atmosphere.

Our glorious leaders have, however, just completely blown it and future
generations are stuffed.

More generally, politicians are incapable of seeming beyond a 5 year
horizon. Which is why the Grand Banks cod fishery doesn't exist any more
and the Mediterranean/North Atlantic bluefin tuna fishery will cease to
be commercially viable within 5 years.

Larry
Old 20-12-2009, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message
,
aquachimp writes

Yes, well; funny thing about scientists... back in the 70"s they were
predicting a mini ice-age.

Actually, that is a myth. The (then weak) consensus in the scientific
press, rather than the popular media, was for warming.

It depends on whether you mean the 1870s or 1970s :-)

More seriously, I despair at the way our rulers are selling us down
the river, and the way that the Merkin-dominated gutter press is
playing the warming aspect. Rising sea levels will cause major
problems, including the loss of a large chunk of our best farming
land, but the real killer comes from the near-certainty that the
North Atlantic Drift will stop.

At best, we are looking at the temperature dropping by about 5
degrees Celsius, summer and winter, causing the collapse of our
agriculture and most of our infrastructure. If the drift reverses
(which is considered unlikely, but what do we know?), I should be
surprised if more than 10% of the population survives the resulting
chaos.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Stoter[_2_] View Post

Try reading about the numbers, then tell me that man is responsible for global warming: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html
Old 20-12-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try reading about the numbers, then tell me that man is responsible for
global warming: http://tinyurl.com/gtp6z

Granity

But the paper you quote is six years old.

Surely "expert" opinion has moved on since then.

The mistake that was made in the Copenhagen deliberations was that there was
too much emphasis on getting
a change of use agreement rather than a change of emphasis agreement.

The main resolutions should have been towards an early re-meet to sort stuff
out properly, as compared with fixing limits there and then.

IMHO.

After all - the next ice age will come anyway - fact of earthly natural
comings and goings.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 20-12-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:13:31 -0500, Granity
wrote:

'Larry Stoter[_2_ Wrote:
;872269']alan.holmes wrote:
-
[...]

That is just one man's selection from very old data.
Anyone can find figures to support their own personal preconceptions.

When I see the pictures of receding ice I can accept the view of the
great majority of scientists that the climate is changing much more
rapidly than it has ever done before.