Old 29-12-2009, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day flower count

"Sacha" wrote in message
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up to
it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I shall certainly have a go, Sacha. I haven't been in the garden for days,
so I hope I recognise it! I've yanked up a lot of stuff and intend to have
an even bigger clear-out, so it's a bit scruffy just now. At least all the
snow has melted, so the plants are visible.

It sounds as if Ray should stay in the warm, so it looks like you've got a
job to do:~). Do pass on my best wishes to Ray. Oh, go on, have some
yourself, then! :~)

Spider

Old 29-12-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-29 16:05:12 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up to
it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I shall certainly have a go, Sacha. I haven't been in the garden for days,
so I hope I recognise it! I've yanked up a lot of stuff and intend to have
an even bigger clear-out, so it's a bit scruffy just now. At least all the
snow has melted, so the plants are visible.

It sounds as if Ray should stay in the warm, so it looks like you've got a
job to do:~). Do pass on my best wishes to Ray. Oh, go on, have some
yourself, then! :~)

Spider

Thanks, Spider - he's a bit better again today - tiny increments each
day but definitely an improvement. He's still not allowed outside,
though!

Old 29-12-2009, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-12-29 16:05:12 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I have only just seen this. Poor Ray. And at Christmas time too. Poor
you as well. I wish him a speedy recovery.
--
June Hughes
Old 29-12-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha writes
On 2009-12-29 16:05:12 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Very kind and thank you! He is improving and while missing Christmas
Day is indeed a shame, it's just a day in the year when it comes to
getting someone over an illness glitch. And he did eat a sliver of
Christmas pudding and cream on Boxing Day which is when I knew a corner
had been turned! The illness-imposed diet he's been on is horrible
but effective as he lost all appetite! Luckily he drank loads of
water and fruit juices but he's looking remarkably svelte!

Old 30-12-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up
to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)

We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put it in my
next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants every year so we
gave up, though some of the keener had an incredible 64 different
plants!!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 30-12-2009, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up
to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)

We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put it in my
next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants every year so
we gave up, though some of the keener had an incredible 64 different
plants!!

Janet

It's fun to do for one's own records and of course of any group it's
going to differ wildly according to location but I always find it
interesting to see what others have found in their gardens.

Old 30-12-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't
up to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)

We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put it in
my next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants every year
we gave up, though some of the keener had an incredible 64 different
plants!!
Janet

It's fun to do for one's own records and of course of any group it's
going to differ wildly according to location but I always find it
interesting to see what others have found in their gardens.

Can't help feeling at very much of a disadvantage up here. All sorts of
things that were in flower in December have been blatted by the frost,
and there will be very little on Jan 1st, always assuming I can even see
it under the snow, which has not yet melted.
--
Kay
Old 30-12-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up
to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)
We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put it in my
next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants every year we
gave up, though some of the keener had an incredible 64 different
plants!!
Janet

It's fun to do for one's own records and of course of any group it's
going to differ wildly according to location but I always find it
interesting to see what others have found in their gardens.

Can't help feeling at very much of a disadvantage up here. All sorts of
things that were in flower in December have been blatted by the frost,
and there will be very little on Jan 1st, always assuming I can even
see it under the snow, which has not yet melted.

We've had a fair bit of frost here so will have to see what has
survived. And then of course, we had a LOT of rain the other night.

Old 30-12-2009, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

It's rather bizarre but I have, of all things, a sage plant in flower.It
has even survived the snow. Lovely bright red flowers, which I have
never seen before on a sage plant. Very odd. I have always been
unsuccessful at keeping sage alive, never mind it flowering. Perhaps
the garden centre put the wrong label on it, although it has the
distinct smell of sage.
--
June Hughes
Old 31-12-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

June Hughes writes
It's rather bizarre but I have, of all things, a sage plant in
flower.It has even survived the snow. Lovely bright red flowers, which
I have never seen before on a sage plant. Very odd. I have always
been unsuccessful at keeping sage alive, never mind it flowering.
Perhaps the garden centre put the wrong label on it, although it has
the distinct smell of sage.

There's several species of sage with red flowers.
--
Kay

Old 31-12-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

It's rather bizarre but I have, of all things, a sage plant in flower.It
has even survived the snow. Lovely bright red flowers, which I have
never seen before on a sage plant. Very odd. I have always been
unsuccessful at keeping sage alive, never mind it flowering. Perhaps
the garden centre put the wrong label on it, although it has the
distinct smell of sage.

If that's Salvia officinalis, for heaven's sake propagate it - you may
have something worth money! That almost always has blue flowers,
though many of that genus have red ones. But my guess is that it's
another Salvia (and there are a good many that are fairly similar).
You can almost certainly use it in cooking.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-12-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

Thanks Nick. After all that rain yesterday, its flowers have wilted a
bit but I shall give it a go. I have several sage plants in the garden,
as we love sage, especially with fried liver.

Bean describes 8 species as more-or-less woody and hardy, and I have
grown another (which survived one winter, but not two). There is a
purplish form of S. officinalis, but the only red ones are other
species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-12-2009, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

Thanks Nick. After all that rain yesterday, its flowers have wilted a
bit but I shall give it a go. I have several sage plants in the garden,
as we love sage, especially with fried liver.

Bean describes 8 species as more-or-less woody and hardy, and I have
grown another (which survived one winter, but not two). There is a
purplish form of S. officinalis, but the only red ones are other
species.

Thank-you. Mine is not woody.

Then it is unquestionably not the normal cooking sage - S. officinalis.
For some reason, annual sages are normally called salvias, and there
are several of those that have red flowers. Interesting that it is
still flowering, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.