Old 31-12-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day flower count

In message , Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up
to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)
We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put it in my
next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants every we gave
up, though some of the keener had an incredible 64 different plants!!
Janet
It's fun to do for one's own records and of course of any group it's
going to differ wildly according to location but I always find it
interesting to see what others have found in their gardens.
Can't help feeling at very much of a disadvantage up here. All sorts
of things that were in flower in December have been blatted by the
frost, and there will be very little on Jan 1st, always assuming I can
even see it under the snow, which has not yet melted.

We've had a fair bit of frost here so will have to see what has
survived. And then of course, we had a LOT of rain the other night.

It's rather bizarre but I have, of all things, a sage plant in
flower.It has even survived the snow. Lovely bright red flowers, which
I have never seen before on a sage plant. Very odd. I have always
been unsuccessful at keeping sage alive, never mind it flowering.
Perhaps the garden centre put the wrong label on it, although it has
the distinct smell of sage.

There are a few with red or pink/red flowers. One is the pineapple
sage, Salvia rutilans, or S. elegans to some but that has a fairly
distinct pineapple fragrance to the leaves. There's also Salvia van
houttei or the annual Salvia splendens. The other that is a rusty red
and a very tall plant, is S. confertiflora but if yours is quite
bright, it's probably not that. This man has an amazing collection:
http://www.robinssalvias.com/blue/default.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-12-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy
said:

[...]

What a lovely site that is, Sacha. Thanks for the info. I think mine
is Salvia Darcyi from Mexico, as shown on the site. That would explain
why, although it was OK when the snow arrived, it has died off with the
thaw.
--
June Hughes
Old 31-12-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha writes

In message , Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray isn't up
to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)
We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put it my
next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants every we gave
up, though some of the keener had an incredible 64 different plants!!
Janet
It's fun to do for one's own records and of course of any group it's
going to differ wildly according to location but I always find it
interesting to see what others have found in their gardens.
Can't help feeling at very much of a disadvantage up here. All sorts
of things that were in flower in December have been blatted by frost,
[...]

Could well be if it was brought in to be used as an annual. What you
can do, if you plant it next year, is over-winter some cuttings. That
site is extremely useful for lovers of Salvias. I find it almost
impossible to have a favourite but I'm very fond of S. discolor which
is very tender and very sticky, the intense blue of a good S.
guaranitica and S. involucrata which attracts the humming bird hawk
moth in a warm late summer spell.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-12-30 23:21:01 +0000, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes

Sacha writes
On 2009-12-30 11:54:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy
said:

In article , Sacha
writes
Anyone else going to do the flower count on 1st Jan? If Ray
isn't up to it I'll struggle round on my own. ;-)
We or rather I used to run it for the gardening club and put
my next newsletter but there were fewer and fewer entrants
every we gave up, though some of the keener had an incredible
64 different plants!!
Janet
It's fun to do for one's own records and of course of any group
it's going to differ wildly according to location but I always
find it interesting to see what others have found in their gardens.
Can't help feeling at very much of a disadvantage up here. All
sorts of things that were in flower in December have been blatted
by frost, and there will be very little on Jan 1st, always
[...]

I shall do that, Sacha. Thanks.

Happy New year to everyone.
--
June Hughes