Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olive seeds (stones)

Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

Cheers
Don
Old 04-01-2010, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.

--
Rusty
Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwill[_2_] View Post
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?
Most supermarkets keep a stock, preserved in brine. But I think that Rusty's offer of seed from a tree known to have fruited in the UK sounds like a good one.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.

Never thought of planting olives to grow new trees!
I'm still trying to get enough to fill a small plastic tub so we can eat
them.

Do they have to ripen to a black colour?
Are there any special conditions for germination?

Have you managed to get any to germinate?

Cheers

Dave R

Old 05-01-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'm now wondering if the salting process kills the olive stone or if you
could use the stones from shop bought olives.
Might be worth a try :-)

Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.

What size of crop do you get, Rusty, and how old is your tree? Mine
hasn't flowered yet.

Get around a pint of olives. The tree will be very old, but grafted onto
younger rootstock.

If you want olives, you need to grow from seed, and when the seedling is
large enough, graft or bud from a fruiting tree.

Citrus fruits take 20 - 30 years to fruit as maiden trees: God knows how
long an olive will take.

--
Rusty
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.

What size of crop do you get, Rusty, and how old is your tree? Mine
hasn't flowered yet.

Get around a pint of olives. The tree will be very old, but grafted onto
younger rootstock.

If you want olives, you need to grow from seed, and when the seedling is
large enough, graft or bud from a fruiting tree.

Citrus fruits take 20 - 30 years to fruit as maiden trees:

So I might as well chuck out the 5 year old "tree" that I grew from seed?
Graham

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'm now wondering if the salting process kills the olive stone or if
you could use the stones from shop bought olives.
Might be worth a try :-)

Yes, I'd assumed that the curing process would have severly reduced the
chances of germination, but as you say it might be worth trying.
Don
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.

Many thanks, I've emailed you.
Don
Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?
I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.
What size of crop do you get, Rusty, and how old is your tree? Mine
hasn't flowered yet.

Get around a pint of olives. The tree will be very old, but grafted onto
younger rootstock.

If you want olives, you need to grow from seed, and when the seedling is
large enough, graft or bud from a fruiting tree.

Citrus fruits take 20 - 30 years to fruit as maiden trees:

So I might as well chuck out the 5 year old "tree" that I grew from seed?
Graham

No. Find someone with a fruiting citrus tree and beg a cutting or bud,
and amalgamate them.

The tissue from the fruitig tree will itself be programmed to fruit. I
have a five-foot lemon tree grown from seed. and that will soon be
festooned with limes, lemons, oranges and the rest.

--
Rusty

Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
graham wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

[...]

If you want olives, you need to grow from seed, and when the
seedling is large enough, graft or bud from a fruiting tree.

Citrus fruits take 20 - 30 years to fruit as maiden trees:

So I might as well chuck out the 5 year old "tree" that I grew from
seed? Graham

No. Find someone with a fruiting citrus tree and beg a cutting or bud,
and amalgamate them.

The tissue from the fruitig tree will itself be programmed to fruit. I
have a five-foot lemon tree grown from seed. and that will soon be
festooned with limes, lemons, oranges and the rest.

Does that apply to all citrus? My little indoor lemon tree, bought a
couple of years ago in fruit, has a trunk about 3/4" in base diameter,
and doesn't look grafted: it's got about 40 fruits on it now. I've got
some calamondin and kumquat seeds coming on, and I can't promise to live
another 20-30 years!

--
Mike.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts View Post
I'm now wondering if the salting process kills the olive stone or if you
could use the stones from shop bought olives.
Might be worth a try :-)
Google has just told me that the brining kills the seed. So apologies for having suggested the supermarket as a source. Google also tells me that special techniques assist in breaking the dormancy of the seed.

As someone said, most commercial olive trees are grafted.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
graham wrote:
[...]

Might be a rooted cutting/layering

Dunno about kalamondins and kumquats, but I'll be getting a (fruiting)
limequat later this year.

--
Rusty
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'll send you some from my olive tree - send address - just remove the
foobar.

Never thought of planting olives to grow new trees!
I'm still trying to get enough to fill a small plastic tub so we can eat
them.

Do they have to ripen to a black colour?

No, but they have to be treated before they become palatable. This I'm
looking into.

Are there any special conditions for germination?

No Idea - never tried.

Have you managed to get any to germinate?

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier reply.

--
Rusty
Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

"Donwill" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can buy some seeds in UK ?

I'm now wondering if the salting process kills the olive stone or if
you could use the stones from shop bought olives.
Might be worth a try :-)

Yes, I'd assumed that the curing process would have severly reduced the
chances of germination, but as you say it might be worth trying.

Coconuts are dispersed to pastures new by the sea...

--
Rusty