Old 04-01-2010, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing flowers in container help pls

I am in the process of replacing 2 areas lawn with gravel. I would like
to spot large pots (tempted to say plant)
about theses areas. Could anyone suggest ideas for hardy perennials
that would suit, or where I can get information, either written or on
the net please? --
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:23:13 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I am in the process of replacing 2 areas lawn with gravel. I would like
to spot large pots (tempted to say plant)
about theses areas. Could anyone suggest ideas for hardy perennials
that would suit, or where I can get information, either written or on
the net please? --
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Look in bookshops or library for books on "growing in Containers".
There are lots, and they have good pictures, so you can go for the
look you want.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-01-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-04 16:23:13 +0000, Broadback said:

I am in the process of replacing 2 areas lawn with gravel. I would like
to spot large pots (tempted to say plant)
about theses areas. Could anyone suggest ideas for hardy perennials
that would suit, or where I can get information, either written or on
the net please? --
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Why can I never remember where people live - major failure of mine,
sorry - so just in case: Euryops chrysanthemoides (needs a huge pot
eventuallly) Ajugas, Fuchsias, Dianthus, Erysimums, Phormiums, Vinca,
Lamium, Gardenia Kleim's Hardy, Achilleas, Aquilegias, Corydalis,
Salvias, Phygelius....
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am in the process of replacing 2 areas lawn with gravel. I would like to
spot large pots (tempted to say plant)
about theses areas. Could anyone suggest ideas for hardy perennials that
would suit, or where I can get information, either written or on the net
please? --
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

From experience may I offer a bit of advice which you may not have thought
of?

We have replaced lawns in one of our 'gardens' and replaced with gravel
making a 'gravel garden' complete with large pots.

HOWEVER, consider the shape of the pot. A pot with a small opening, the 'Ali
Baba' pot is very difficult to empty if you wish to pot on or extract the
plant at the end of the season if there is a massive root growth.

(I quote 'gardens', 'gravel gardens' because I have been picked up by those
who garden acres compared to our 120 ft by 20 ft. Our garden is divided into
'gardens rooms', much appreciated when opened to the public with comments
such as 'Lots of different rooms' and a lot to see)

--
Mike ............ The NON gardener

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Fig and Olive Container-growing Help Gardening 6 02-01-2007 12:54 AM
Fig and Olive Container-growing Help Australia 6 02-01-2007 12:54 AM
flowerbed mulching help pls Ninip Gardening 20 18-07-2004 02:02 AM
Tree Rose help Pls. Debra Fritz Roses 4 07-03-2003 01:58 AM
double white jackmanni - pls help! :-) michele Gardening 0 06-03-2003 04:51 AM