Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Squirrel bait

A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week. Unfortunately since the cold
weathers we have been inundated with blackbirds, who have been getting
trapped. What I mean is that unfortunately the blackbirds have been
getting trapped, not that they have turned up. However that in itself is
no problem as on release they fly off quite happily, returning shortly
after for more food. So I was wondering is there any food which
squirrels would go for but blackbirds shun? Never before have I wanted
birds to leave food for the squirrels (grey of course).
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.

What did you do with them?

Tina

Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week. Unfortunately since the cold
weathers we have been inundated with blackbirds, who have been getting
trapped. What I mean is that unfortunately the blackbirds have been
getting trapped, not that they have turned up. However that in itself is
no problem as on release they fly off quite happily, returning shortly
after for more food. So I was wondering is there any food which
squirrels would go for but blackbirds shun? Never before have I wanted
birds to leave food for the squirrels (grey of course).

Walnuts? Hazel nuts?

--
Rusty
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week. Unfortunately since the cold
weathers we have been inundated with blackbirds, who have been getting
trapped. What I mean is that unfortunately the blackbirds have been
getting trapped, not that they have turned up. However that in itself is
no problem as on release they fly off quite happily, returning shortly
after for more food. So I was wondering is there any food which
squirrels would go for but blackbirds shun? Never before have I wanted
birds to leave food for the squirrels (grey of course).

A year ago I put out some Nutella from an out-of-date jar. The birds seemed
to leave it alone, but the squirrels went mad for it.

--
Jeff

Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.

What did you do with them?

Tina

Fricassee?
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I use peanut butter in my Kania 2000 trap

Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.

What did you do with them?

Fricassee?
--

Recipe??

Take 5 skinned, gralloched and top/tailed squirrels (grey only), one
wood pigeon (squab) and a pile of ground peanuts. Simmer in red wine
and beef stock for 2 hours... etc. etc. Bon appetit - oder soll Ich
"Mahlzeit" sagen :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.

What did you do with them?

Hopefully he killed the pests!

Tina

Old 08-01-2010, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.
What did you do with them?

Hopefully he killed the pests!

You're all heart

It's the law...

If you trap a pest, it is an offence to release it into the wild.

Fo some unexplained reason, the RSPCA and others release urban foxes
into country areas, where they die of starvation - if they're not shot
first.

--
Rusty
Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Gopher" wrote
Christina Websell wrote
"Broadback" wrote

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.
What did you do with them?
Hopefully he killed the pests!

You're all heart

It's the law...

If you trap a pest, it is an offence to release it into the wild.

Don't trap then! How simple life would be if we could call anything we
want a pest and kill it. I'd need a trap big enough for humans long
before I found a squirrel a pest.

Fo some unexplained reason, the RSPCA and others release urban foxes
into country areas,

Good, that's called having a heart.

where they die of starvation - if they're not shot
first.

Nonsense.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I successfully trapped 5 squirrels and one pigeon
using peanuts as bait all within a week.
What did you do with them?
Hopefully he killed the pests!
You're all heart

It's the law...

If you trap a pest, it is an offence to release it into the wild.

Don't trap then! How simple life would be if we could call anything we
want a pest and kill it. I'd need a trap big enough for humans long
before I found a squirrel a pest.

Grey squirrels are fine in their proper environment - North America.

I don't mind you trapping a few humanoids there, either.

Fo some unexplained reason, the RSPCA and others release urban foxes
into country areas,

Good, that's called having a heart.

It's called not having clue.

where they die of starvation - if they're not shot
first.

Nonsense.

And *YOU^ would know?

Living in the sort of area and working close to nature where they commit
such cruelty, I do know.

--
Rusty
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

Fo some unexplained reason, the RSPCA and others release urban foxes
into country areas,

Good, that's called having a heart.

It's called not having clue.

where they die of starvation - if they're not shot
first.

Nonsense.

And *YOU^ would know?

Living in the sort of area and working close to nature where they commit
such cruelty, I do know.

Having seen numerous children and some adults absolutely devastaed by
the loss of their pet/prize/beloved/source of income hens, killed by
foxes, who will kill for the fun of it, I wholeheatedly agree with
Rusty. The banning of foxhunting was purely a political gesture, nothing
to do with cruelty.

Roger T

Make a disposable Slug trap :what bait? Joseph Chong Gardening 16 08-02-2004 05:32 PM
bait [email protected] Plant Science 0 01-02-2004 11:58 AM
New Gel Bait Now Available for Fire Ant Control Bob Batson Gardening 0 16-06-2003 08:20 PM
slugs bait eaten...... by cats? Philippe Gautier United Kingdom 7 28-05-2003 08:20 AM
Rabbit bait Don Dickson Gardening 13 25-05-2003 06:32 AM