Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Mowing

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Rod
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Rod

Yes. The Molehills had caused the snow on the lawn to be so very uneven ;-)

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Jan, 18:34, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Rod

Yes. The Molehills had caused the snow on the lawn to be so very uneven ;-)

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

I did wonder if a rotary mower with the front lifted would work as a
snow plough and blow the snow sidways to cleare a path.
David Hill
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:19:31 -0800 (PST), Rod
wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 01:46:52 -0000, "pied piper"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Cutting grass damages the plant

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Mr Picky says "Of course it damages the plant - you are cutting it!"

Does it damage a lawn more than cutting it when it is soggy and wet?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:33:44 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Mr Picky says "Of course it damages the plant - you are cutting it!"

Does it damage a lawn more than cutting it when it is soggy and wet?

I think you do more damage to the lawn structure and the grass by
churning it up in wet soggy conditions. A quick flymo over a hard
lawn tidies it up a treat in my experience.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Mr Picky says "Of course it damages the plant - you are cutting it!"

Does it damage a lawn more than cutting it when it is soggy and wet?

I think you do more damage to the lawn structure and the grass by
churning it up in wet soggy conditions. A quick flymo over a hard
lawn tidies it up a treat in my experience.

Treading on frozen grass breaks the cells and kills the stems; you
can often see footprints over a lawn for many weeks after a thaw.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 01:46:52 -0000, "pied piper"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Cutting grass damages the plant

--

yes but getting it then when frozen does more damage plus walking on frozen
grass kills the cell structure causing black footprints in extreme cases.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:20:17 -0000, "pied piper"
wrote:

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Cutting grass damages the plant

--

yes but getting it then when frozen does more damage plus walking on frozen
grass kills the cell structure causing black footprints in extreme cases.
Simple realy if its frozen keep off it. Thats another reason why golf
courses have temp greens for frosty days.

Golf course greens are mowed very short, like 0.25" all year. Yes,
walking on them can leave marks.

My lawns, left at 3 - 4 inches at the start of winter, don't mind me
walking on them at all and I shall merrily take off their top tuffs
when hard but clear of snow. In fact. I might give them a go when
0.5" of snow remains, it'll disperse it nicely, I'm not aiming for
best kept sward in the village.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

that will certainly keep up your title of the village idiot if nothing else

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:38:25 -0000, "pied piper"
wrote:

My lawns, left at 3 - 4 inches at the start of winter, don't mind me
walking on them at all and I shall merrily take off their top tuffs
when hard but clear of snow. In fact. I might give them a go when
0.5" of snow remains, it'll disperse it nicely, I'm not aiming for
best kept sward in the village.

that will certainly keep up your title of the village idiot if nothing else

Just stick to your day job as rat bait PP

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Didn't I hear somebody talking about getting the mower out a few days
ago ????????? ;~}

Miss, Miss, please Miss!

On 3/1 I wrotted

Our next door neighbor is cutting his lawn !

I've done that in the past. If you've let the grass get a bit too
long, it's good to cut when the ground is frosted. You don't churn
the undersoil into a soggy mess and does the grass no harm in my
opinion.

cutting grass during frost damages the plant

Cutting grass at any time damages the plant, silly.

--
Rusty