Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Can you feed birds on cat biscuits?

The other day I saw a man buying 5 boxes of cat biscuits, which he said
were for feeding the birds.

I asked the BTO whether it was OK to feed birds on cat biscuits. The
response was that they couldn't find any research on the subject ;-) but
they felt that there was far more appropriate food for birds and they
wouldn't recommend it.

Just in case anyone was planning to feed their birds on cat biscuits
(well, if you can grit your paths with cat litter...)
--
Kay
Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
The other day I saw a man buying 5 boxes of cat biscuits, which he said
were for feeding the birds.

I asked the BTO whether it was OK to feed birds on cat biscuits. The
response was that they couldn't find any research on the subject ;-) but
they felt that there was far more appropriate food for birds and they
wouldn't recommend it.

Just in case anyone was planning to feed their birds on cat biscuits
(well, if you can grit your paths with cat litter...)
--

Actually, cat biscuits are very high protein so in this cold weather I don't
think it would hurt if you soaked them first. I would not feed them dry in

Old 13-01-2010, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
The other day I saw a man buying 5 boxes of cat biscuits, which he said
were for feeding the birds.

I asked the BTO whether it was OK to feed birds on cat biscuits. The
response was that they couldn't find any research on the subject ;-) but
they felt that there was far more appropriate food for birds and they
wouldn't recommend it.

Just in case anyone was planning to feed their birds on cat biscuits
(well, if you can grit your paths with cat litter...)
--
Kay

The cat litter we use - Fullers earth - is definitely water soluble.

Well, it is designed to soak up liquid - putting down on snow and ice is
just going to make a nasty soggy slippery mess, surely!!

Lol

Old 13-01-2010, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Lol writes

"K" wrote in message
The other day I saw a man buying 5 boxes of cat biscuits, which he said
were for feeding the birds.

I asked the BTO whether it was OK to feed birds on cat biscuits. The
response was that they couldn't find any research on the subject ;-) but
they felt that there was far more appropriate food for birds and they
wouldn't recommend it.

Just in case anyone was planning to feed their birds on cat biscuits
(well, if you can grit your paths with cat litter...)
--

The cat litter we use - Fullers earth - is definitely water soluble.

Well, it is designed to soak up liquid - putting down on snow and ice is
just going to make a nasty soggy slippery mess, surely!!

Eventually, presumably. Come the thaw, it will be revolting. But while
the temperatures are low, it will be solid and therefore give a rougher
surface for walking on.

I'd heard on the radio that sales of cat litter had rocketed because
people were using it for gritting, then later found a ginnel where it
had been used. Seemed to work fine.
--
Kay
Old 13-01-2010, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
The other day I saw a man buying 5 boxes of cat biscuits, which he said
were for feeding the birds.

I asked the BTO whether it was OK to feed birds on cat biscuits. The
response was that they couldn't find any research on the subject ;-) but
they felt that there was far more appropriate food for birds and they
wouldn't recommend it.

Just in case anyone was planning to feed their birds on cat biscuits
(well, if you can grit your paths with cat litter...)
--
Kay

Well this robin likes cat food... it made regular visits, and this has gone
on for several years, so I have either a very long-lived robin visiting, or
it's learnt behaviour.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...lessfood-1.jpg

Old 15-01-2010, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
The other day I saw a man buying 5 boxes of cat biscuits, which he said
were for feeding the birds.

I asked the BTO whether it was OK to feed birds on cat biscuits. The
response was that they couldn't find any research on the subject ;-) but
they felt that there was far more appropriate food for birds and they
wouldn't recommend it.

Just in case anyone was planning to feed their birds on cat biscuits
(well, if you can grit your paths with cat litter...)
--
Kay

Well this robin likes cat food... it made regular visits, and this has
gone on for several years, so I have either a very long-lived robin
visiting, or it's learnt behaviour.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...lessfood-1.jpg

Congratulations, thats a lovely picture.
I am sure robins can live for quite a few years.
I don't think they often get to die of old age, most likely to live long if
there's no cats around which clearly is not the case here!
On the other hand, a squirrel who was a good friend of mine only managed 3
years...

Lol