Old 18-05-2005, 07:06 AM
MM

Default Can I feed salami scraps to birds?

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

MM
Old 18-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Martin Brown

Tone wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:06:52 +0100, MM wrote:

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

If they dont like it they wont eat it, its quite simple.

That isn't always a safe assumption. ISTR high salt content foods can be
dangerous to some birds (as apparently are avocadoes).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 18-05-2005, 12:34 PM
pammyT

MM wrote:
I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

MM

Not really. It has way too much salt in and if it doesn't kill the adults it
will certainly kill the babies which it gets fed to same with bacon
:0(
Instead of feeding it to the birds you could cut it up and add it to a stir
fry to bring out the flavours of the other bits in there.The texture changes
when it gets heated.
--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 18-05-2005, 12:34 PM
pammyT

Tone wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:06:52 +0100, MM wrote:

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

MM

If they dont like it they wont eat it, its quite simple.

Couldnt you eat it on a Pizza ??

They might like it though, that's the problem. The salt content is too high
for birds.

Old 18-05-2005, 12:50 PM
pammyT

Martin Brown wrote:
Tone wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:06:52 +0100, MM wrote:

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some,
but the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it
out for the birds (which are numerous here).

If they dont like it they wont eat it, its quite simple.

That isn't always a safe assumption. ISTR high salt content foods can
be dangerous to some birds (as apparently are avocadoes).

Regards,
Martin Brown

my sister once managed to kill all her chickens by feeding them avocados as
a 'treat' one afternoon. She woke up next day, opened the henhouse to find
them all dead :0(
I once had a young dog nearly die after raiding the bin and chewing an
avocado stone.

Old 18-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Mike Lyle

pammyT wrote:
MM wrote:
I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some,

but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it

out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

MM

Not really. It has way too much salt in and if it doesn't kill the
adults it will certainly kill the babies which it gets fed to same
with bacon :0(
Instead of feeding it to the birds you could cut it up and add it

a stir fry to bring out the flavours of the other bits in there.The
texture changes when it gets heated.

Very good as flavouring in a pork, chicken, or beany casserole, too.

--
Mike.

Old 18-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Brian Watson

"MM" wrote in message
I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

They prefer it on rye bread, with a side order of coleslaw.

HTH.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing more to say

Old 18-05-2005, 06:31 PM
MM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 07:06:52 +0100, MM wrote:

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

Okay. I've now got the feedback (thanks!) and have decided the best
thing is to forget about feeding it to birds. I've already eaten half,
so I suppose I can manage the other half. (It was a huge one from
Lidl, and I hate wasting food.)

MM
Old 18-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Theo Markettos

pammyT wrote:
Instead of feeding it to the birds you could cut it up and add it to a stir
fry to bring out the flavours of the other bits in there.The texture changes
when it gets heated.

Or grill it. You lose a lot of the fat and it tastes a bit more like bacon.

Theo
Old 18-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MM contains these words:

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

You should not give birds bacon, or salami.

Both contain a lot of salt, and birds are unable to get it out of their
systems fast enough.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 18-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MM contains these words:

Okay. I've now got the feedback (thanks!) and have decided the best
thing is to forget about feeding it to birds. I've already eaten half,
so I suppose I can manage the other half. (It was a huge one from
Lidl, and I hate wasting food.)

Bring it round here and I'll provide the biccies and butter...

Or, wrap it in polythene and freeze it. It'll keep indefinitely like
that, even in the icebox of a fridge.

Old 18-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from MM contains these words:

I recall bacon being allowed. But what about salami? I have some, but
the texture is not to my liking. I could cut it up and throw it out
for the birds (which are numerous here).

You should not give birds bacon, or salami.

Both contain a lot of salt, and birds are unable to get it out of their
systems fast enough.

I don't think that seagulls have any problem :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.