Old 17-01-2010, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a real challenge

On 17/01/2010 08:26, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Private contains these words:

It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

another one to try; Watsonia

Janet

The original description said "tiny flowers". Tiny is a moveable feast,
but I thought that even Crocosmia was pushing it - but nothing else
fitting the description came to mind. (The flowers of Dierama not being
borne "just above the leaves", and its flowers being rather purplish.)

If there was a red-flowered Dianella that would fit, but as far as I
know there isn't.

Thanks for your help. On looking again I think it may be Crocosmia. This
is the closest to it. I will leave this for now until I am able to look
at the plant up the road.

Thank you all for your help and patience.
Old 17-01-2010, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:01:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Private contains these words:

Apologies for not bottom posting, it is the first time I have been on a
newsgroup.
The long thin leaves do spring from the base of the plant. There are
long stems also coming from the base where there little reddish orange
flowers at the end of the stem. It has been a while since I saw this
plant. I think the flowers are tiny and sort of hang of the stem (like a
bleeding heart) but the petals are a diffent style and much smaller.
There is a house in our road that has one in their front flower bed but
as I am in a plaster cast and on a zimmer frame I can't go and see it
for myself to get a photograph. My husband has been out and come back
with a photo of a plant but it is the wrong one.

It's in flower now? Midwinter in UK?

If you're in the UK this narrows the possibilities considerably.

I saw your other post, watsonia similar but wrong flower shape, have
you tried schizostylus major in google images

I do appreciate your time and patience.

We're enjoying it

If you are in UK it could be schizostylis. Mine had a red bud showing
before the snow, and the stem has grown but been pressed down by the
snow. Still showing a red bud at the top of the stem and more to come
lower down. Does this sound like "yours"?

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-01-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Private" wrote in message
On 17/01/2010 08:26, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Thank you all for your help and patience.

Just a pity some have not learnt how to snip their postings!

I wonder if I were to explain 'pruning' they might understand.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 17-01-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 16, 6:43*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Private" wrote in message

Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while ago
back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin *green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Montbretia?

--
--https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

That was my first thought, without knowing where the poster lives (I
haven't read all posts) it's difficult to say.

Judith