Old 16-01-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a real challenge

Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while
ago back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Old 16-01-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Private
writes
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while
ago back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above
the leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Crocosmia?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-01-2010, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Private writes
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while
ago back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above
the leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Dierama? (aka Angels' Fishing rods)
--
Kay
Old 16-01-2010, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Private" wrote in message
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while ago
back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Montbretia?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 16-01-2010, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Private" wrote in message
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while ago
back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

It would help if she could pin down the time of year, so we can consider the
flowering season. As the others have said, possibly Crocosmia 'Lucifer' (or
similar cultivar), or Schizostylus coccinea 'Major'. The Crocosmias are
generally late summer flowering. Schizostylus is autumn flowering. Dierama
is a possibility, but I don't know of one with red flowers; they tend to be
pinks and purples.

Do google on both the above and, if it's not one of these, ask your wife if
she can describe how 'hers' were different. We will then keep thinking.

Spider

Old 16-01-2010, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

On 16/01/2010 18:46, Spider wrote:
wrote in message
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while ago
back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

It would help if she could pin down the time of year, so we can consider the
flowering season. As the others have said, possibly Crocosmia 'Lucifer' (or
similar cultivar), or . I 'Major'. The Crocosmias are

Old 16-01-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Private" wrote in message
It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

Hi again .. please scroll down till you find my reply .. hope you understand
when you read it :~)

Spider

wrote in message
[...]

Hello 'Private's' Wife,

Before we talk plants, I wonder if I could suggest that you 'bottom post',
because newsgroups post differently to ordinary email, so the discussion can
get out of order if you 'top post'. Hope you don't mind. Thanks. :~)

So far, we've all (I believe) assumed that 'your' long thin leaves sprang
from the base of the plant, rather like a daffodil. Do you remember if this
is correct?
Do you retain any sense of (roughly) how many individual flowers there are
at the end of the stalk? Single? 3 or 4? A spike, such as in a bluebell -
tho' not necessarily nodding?, or a form of panicle (or corymb), as in cow
parsley or hydrangea.
Was the 'red' flower truly red, as in 'pillar box' or 'scarlet' or was it
more crimson?
Was the shape of the flower trumpet-like, bell-like, daisy-like, or a
broad-petalled cup as in a buttercup or anemone, .. or .. your own
discription?
Anything you can add to the original description may help.
In the meantime, two other red-flowering plants that spring to mind
(although they're inclined to be tender), are Sprekelia formosissima or
Nerine sardenensis.

Spider

Old 16-01-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Private" wrote
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while
ago back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Not how I would describe it but have a look at Phormium.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-01-2010, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Private contains these words:

It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

another one to try; Watsonia

Janet

The original description said "tiny flowers". Tiny is a moveable feast,
but I thought that even Crocosmia was pushing it - but nothing else
fitting the description came to mind. (The flowers of Dierama not being
borne "just above the leaves", and its flowers being rather purplish.)

If there was a red-flowered Dianella that would fit, but as far as I
know there isn't.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-01-2010, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Private" wrote
Here a real challange for all you gardners
My wife is looking for a plant she has seen in someones garden a while
ago back, and can't remember where she saw it.

Anyway the plant had long thin green leaves (about 2-3 foot long)with
tiny red flowers on the end of a stalk which stuck out slighty above the
leaves

Any Ideas??? spend most of today surfing google for plants like it, but
with no luck

Any ideas

Not how I would describe it but have a look at Phormium.

Two more Genera to take a look at on the net...
Anomatheca
Tulbaghia
Depends on what our wife calls small flowers, how big was the plant?
The leaves, were they strap like and like an Iris, coming from the base?
Were the leaves green?
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-01-2010, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:56:34 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Private contains these words:

It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

another one to try; Watsonia

Elementary my dear

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 17-01-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:46:20 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

"Private" wrote in message
[...]

My first thought was schizostylis, but as Spider says, it depends on
the time of year. Also, I wouldn't call those flowers "tiny". and
they are more "red" than the common montbretia/crocosmia which are
orange.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-01-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:46:20 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

"Private" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.... which is why I named Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. However, as you say Pam, most
of us wouldn't call either Crocosmia or Schizostylus flowers 'tiny',
although seen at some distance, they may appear so. Another thought that has
occurred to me is that the OP's wife saw the tiny red flowers of one plant
growing through the green, strap-like leaves of another plant. In which
case it could be a red flowering Geum, Potentilla, Lychnis, Knautia
macedonica (arguably red) ... or many others. As the OP said, "a real
challenge". Just what we like :~) ... it helps to keep the Cabin Fever at
bay.

Spider

Old 17-01-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

Apologies for not bottom posting, it is the first time I have been on a
newsgroup.
The long thin leaves do spring from the base of the plant. There are
long stems also coming from the base where there little reddish orange
flowers at the end of the stem. It has been a while since I saw this
plant. I think the flowers are tiny and sort of hang of the stem (like a
bleeding heart) but the petals are a diffent style and much smaller.
There is a house in our road that has one in their front flower bed but
as I am in a plaster cast and on a zimmer frame I can't go and see it
for myself to get a photograph. My husband has been out and come back
with a photo of a plant but it is the wrong one.

I do appreciate your time and patience.

Old 17-01-2010, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2010 23:56, Janet Baraclough wrote:
The
from contains these words:

It's the wife, thanks for your help but I don't recognise any of the
pictures. I will keep looking.I can't remember when I saw it in flower.

another one to try; Watsonia

Janet

Hi, I had a look at Watsonia, very similar but the flowers are the wrong
shape