Old 18-01-2010, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The ice is melting

This
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0
is the plant that was covered in ice. Perhaps someone can tell me
what it is.

The next picture in the sequence is the one I posted last week
with it covered in ice.

Mike

Old 22-01-2010, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall by
the way.

Mike

Old 22-01-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall by the way.

I "recognized" it as one my Mum had in her garden, but I don't have a clue
what it is I'm afraid.

--
Kathy

Old 22-01-2010, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-22 08:04:49 +0000, "Muddymike"
said:

http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it
for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you
think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall
by
the way.

Mike

If it's survived this far, it might but do be sure it's
draining. I wonder if it's a Ligustrum. Does it do anything
with regard to flowers?

I do not recall it ever flowering. Just Googled Ligustrum and I
don't see anything there that looks like it.

Keep the ideas coming please.

Mike

Old 22-01-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall by the way.

Mike

Has the look of a daphne to me, but some description of the flowers would be
helpful

R.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall by the way.

Looks like an Aeonium. If it's anything like mine that got frosted in the
greenhouse during the recent cold spell, the answer as to whether it will
survive is no!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 22-01-2010, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news:PpadneXI5qe4wcTWnZ2dnUVZ8kWdnZ2d@brightview. com...
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall by the way.

Mike

Has the look of a daphne to me, but some description of the flowers would be
helpful

R.

My first thought was an Aeonium, but I don't imagine that would have
survived being frozen. The other plants that come to mind are Daphne
laureola (spurge laurel) and Euphorbia amygdaloides (wood spurge); as
the latter is herbaceous I'll plump for spurge laurel
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-01-2010, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10679?sort=0

I posted this link to the picture of the pot plant that was
covered in ice last week and so far no one has identified it for
me. Is it really so rare or did you miss that part of the
question? I would love to know what it is, and whether you think
it will survive being encased in ice. Its about two feet tall by
the way.

Try aeonium? There are green versions as well as the purple-black
one, and iirc they are hardier.

Janet

If Muddymike looks at the stems, those of Aeonium are succulent, and
those of Daphne laureola are woody. He should be able to eliminate at
least one of these.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-01-2010, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

My first thought was an Aeonium, but I don't imagine that would have
survived being frozen.

I have a pot grown parsley outside. It has been frozen solid and
covered with 9-10 inches of snow,

Today it looks healthy, ready to pick and use.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 22-01-2010, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message ...
In message , Ragnar
writes

"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

This Daphne laureola
http://ispb.univ-lyon1.fr/cours/bota...e_laureola.jpg
looks very similar but none I have looked at have the curly
leaves in grouped in balls like mine.

It has survived very cold winters outside in the past but never
has it been ice bound like this year. Thinking about it I
remember this plant in this pot at my mothers house some 8 years
ago, it always lived outside then as well.

Mike

Old 22-01-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

Euphorbia amygdaloides (wood spurge); as the latter is herbaceous I'll
plump for spurge laurel

It does look like that Mike, only very etiolated as they say. The leaves
grow just like that and it seems to seed itself willy nilly around the
garden, never any flowers, bone hardy and as boring as that, just not
usually on such a long stem but if it had grown quite quickly and lost
all it's leaves i guess it would look like your photograph.

Wouldn't say herbaceous as they leaves are evergreen.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph