Old 24-01-2010, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ATTN: Sacha

Last Wednesday I bought a bag of mixed dried beans from my local
international food store.1kg

I used 1/4 of this bag

Soaked them for 24 hours.(swolen to twice the origional size)

I boiled them with an "upper hock"(?)of pig

3 cloves Garlic
1/2 kg (a pound)english onions(the eye watering kind)
A couple of bay leaves
2 black peppercorns
Salt

simmered for 3 hours.

Sacha it was wonderful, thick and creamy after the beans had broken up a
bit.

NOT the Jersey traditional recipe, but my lot loved it and said we ought
to do it again.

I was tempted to tell you about the musical interlude afterwards, but I
resisted;-)

Please give it a go yourself, and let us know

Kind regards
Part_No

Old 25-01-2010, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-24 12:13:34 +0000, "Part_No" said:

[...]

I certainly will and thank you. Some time ago I made the Italian
Zuppa Fagioli and I suppose they'll all of the same intention but this
sounds really rich and delicious and beautifully filling, too. We
love home made soups. What you made sounds very like Bean Crock
indeed except that they didn't add garlic.
http://www.i-love-jersey.co.uk/bean-crock.html The recipe there says
belly pork cubed but the old people just stuck a pig's trotter in it!
This is the Guernsey recipe and there it's called Bean Jar:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Delicious-Tr...ean-Jar-Recipe

The garlic was my brainwave (I always improvise around a theme
unfortunatly)
I grew so much garlic last year, not expecting much, but every single
one of them came good, (which was a shock cos they were store bought for
the kitchen) therefore I have a glut hanging in the garage, and use it
whenever I can.

Trying Zuppa Fagioli this weekend I think......similar but with tomatoes
is it? sounds even better than CI fare And it's in the oven this time
since I bought an oven "pot" at a charity shop this morning.

It's going to be a bit more gassy in our house over the next few days!!

Take care and kind regards,
Part_No
Old 26-01-2010, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-24 12:13:34 +0000, "Part_No" said:

[...]

Most good recipes come from improvisation! I suppose they just didn't
grow garlic 'time past' in Jersey but it must have been available not far
away across the Channel!

Trying Zuppa Fagioli this weekend I think......similar but with tomatoes
is it? sounds even better than CI fare And it's in the oven this time
since I bought an oven "pot" at a charity shop this morning.

Carrot, celery, fresh and finely chopped tomatoes, onion, bay leaves,
garlic and of course, large white beans. Parmesan sprinkled on top.

It's going to be a bit more gassy in our house over the next few days!!

It will be worth it!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Try adding a few chillies or scotch bonnets

Old 26-01-2010, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try adding a few chillies or scotch bonnets

Yes, I think I will, with care though.
The last bonnet I used was HOT.very hot.

Sacha's Seeds Part 3 Mike United Kingdom 6 04-08-2003 10:22 AM
Sacha's Seeds Part 3 Mike United Kingdom 0 30-07-2003 10:12 PM
Sacha's Seeds Mike United Kingdom 1 10-07-2003 09:21 AM
Ping Sacha Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 26-05-2003 04:20 PM
Sacha re Monks Hood Annabel United Kingdom 9 15-03-2003 03:32 AM