Old 04-02-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Forsythia softwood stems sometimes fuse together

In humid temperature I've noticed my Forsythia softwood stems sometimes fuse
together, please can anyone tell me what this process is called?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inosculation

--

Jeff

Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/04/2010 02:59 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:

"Ben Short" wrote in message
In humid temperature I've noticed my Forsythia softwood stems
sometimes fuse together, please can anyone tell me what this process
is called?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inosculation

what my forsythia sometimes does is called fasciation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciation

There's a picture of a cherry with fasciated stems that resembles it.

HTH

-E
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ben Short" wrote in message
In humid temperature I've noticed my Forsythia softwood stems sometimes
fuse together, please can anyone tell me what this process is called?

Thanks to the both of you. x

Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 4 Feb, 22:12, "Ben Short" wrote:
"Ben Short" wrote in message

... In humid temperature I've noticed my Forsythia softwood stems sometimes
fuse together, please can anyone tell me what this process is called?

Thanks to the both of you. x

What you are having if you have 2 stems that come together and join
then seperate and grow away is a "Natural Graft" this can happen with
in nature with plants growing close to each other.
fasciation happens to an individual stem and doesnt involve a second
stem.
David Hill

Old 05-02-2010, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Dave Hill writes
On 4 Feb, 22:12, "Ben Short" wrote:
What you are having if you have 2 stems that come together and join
then seperate and grow away is a "Natural Graft" this can happen with
in nature with plants growing close to each other.

A holly tree in my parents did this on a grand scale - overall effect
was of a large flat trunk with 3 or 4 huge holes right through, then
above about 6 ft the two trunks grew separately again. The parts where
they'd joined was where they'd each thrown a branch in the other's
direction.

But with forsythia I've only ever seen fas...iation (not well at the
moment so don't have the energy to remind myself of the correct term).
Forsythia does it a lot, as does the pink or purple Linaria that seeds
itself over waste ground.
--
Kay

Forsythia Forsythia.jpg [2/2] davenport Garden Photos 2 26-03-2007 04:48 PM
B&D 18" Corded Electric lawn mower trips plug fuse [email protected] Gardening 8 27-06-2005 06:05 PM
Sprinkler control fuse Solomon Gardening 2 02-06-2004 07:03 PM
Sprinkler system fuse Solomon Lawns 1 02-06-2004 12:16 AM
could i graft a living treehouse together? Monique Reed Plant Biology 9 29-03-2003 06:44 PM