Old 17-02-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bugle!!

Hello everyone, any body got any ideas how to get rid of Bugle, it's a
bloody pest, I keep pulling it out but it pops up somewhere else. It seems
to like the top end of my garden (which is on a slope), this battle has been
going on for a couple of years now.

Regards.

Old 17-02-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David D
writes
Hello everyone, any body got any ideas how to get rid of Bugle, it's a
bloody pest, I keep pulling it out but it pops up somewhere else. It seems
to like the top end of my garden (which is on a slope), this battle has been
going on for a couple of years now.

Regards.

Persistent little B's aren't they! But lovely when in flower and some of
our rarest butterflies use them as an important food plant If you want
to reconsider their destruction, people pay good money for them - £7.50
for 10 etc. (see http://www.reallywildflowers.co.uk/product/bugle/shop)

Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 17-02-2010, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher,
Thanks for the link, news to me that butterflies like them as
I've never seen any on them. Might container grow some in that case, £7.50
for 10!! I was rich last year and din't know it!
Regards.

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , David D
writes

Old 17-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Hello everyone, any body got any ideas how to get rid of Bugle, it's a
bloody pest, I keep pulling it out but it pops up somewhere else. It seems
to like the top end of my garden (which is on a slope), this battle has been
going on for a couple of years now.

Regards.
Is this the native bugle or one of the fancy-leaved ones? We had a real problem with a bronze leafed form, and the only way to get shot of it [apart from weedkiller] was to carefully dig it out and compost or burn it. If you pull it out, you leave behind rootlets which turn into a new plant.
Old 18-02-2010, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:35:57 -0000, David D
wrote:

Gopher,
Thanks for the link, news to me that butterflies like them as
I've never seen any on them. Might container grow some in that case,
£7.50
for 10!! I was rich last year and din't know it!
Regards.

You may want to have a look at
http://www.plantpress.com/wildlife/o736-bugle.php for information on the
insects that are attracted to bugle.