GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   walking boots-- which are good? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189657-walking-boots-good.html)

john bently 19-02-2010 11:58 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

jcr_au 19-02-2010 12:16 PM

On Feb 19, 10:58*pm, "john bently" wrote:
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? *Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? *Thanks for any advice.

John

First step would be to think about the style of walking you're
interested in doing.

Maybe starting out you would be more likely to go on shorter walks on
good tracks in National Parks or other well maintained bush tracks,
generally in better weather. At that end you could even start with
sand shoes, or like hikers.

Mid hikers would be more suitable for slightly harder walks,and then
there are a variety of "full" boots for the really serious walker

John r

Peter Clinch 19-02-2010 12:20 PM

john bently wrote:
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

Reviews are of little use beyond telling you what conditions a certain
pair can be expected to handle.

And they are of little use (and anecdotes of goodness of little use
alongside them) because the absolutely crucial point is fit. There is a
lot more to a shoe-size as to how well a boot fits as feet are complex 3
dimensional shapes and so are boots. it doesn't matter if they're
lasted and stitched by God's Own Right Hand if they're a different shape
to your feet. For example, my wife and I have quite different foot
shapes: I like Scarpa and Teva, she doesn't like either.

So I'd suggest you find a good shop that knows its boot-fitting (tell us
where you are and suggestions can be made).

Also, don't assume you need boots. I do most of my walking in shoes and
sandals because they're lighter and have less stuff to rub, so more
comfort, less tiring to walk in and less chance of rubbing (and
blisters). Folk go on and on about ankle support being necessary, but
the fact is that human ankles are perfectly adequate for walking and
shouldn't need any extra propping up most of the time. Some things,
like edging skis or standing on your toes on a tiny hold or carrying
outsize loads ankles haven't evolved to carry, do benefit from extra
ankle support, but /walking/ is actually harder as your foot is more
restricted from normal flexing. Some boots benefit from being stiffer,
for example to take crampons or walking over very rough stone paths, but
in other places again they just prevent your foot from conforming
naturally to the terrain and make walking more tiring.

In summary, try on a good selection with a good fitter (who can do
things like add volume adjusters and short-cut to models/brands suitable
for you foot-shape) and depending on where and what you have in mind
don't assume you particularly need boots.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

June Hughes[_2_] 19-02-2010 12:41 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

In message , john bently
writes
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

I have some very good walking shoes by Merrill. They are like trainers
only heavier and are waterproof as well as being warm. they are lighter
than the leather boots I have for walking and give a good support. The
cost was around 70GBP but they may have gone up in price a little since
2008, when I bought mine. HTH
--
June Hughes

Bob Hobden 19-02-2010 01:26 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

"john bently" wrote ...
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was
done way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any
advice.

There are some excellent makes out there, I myself use a pair of old
Zamberlan Civetta classic leather boots but also have a pair of Meindl
approach shoes for the better weather, actually bought them after a fall on
Exmoor made it impossible to wear my boots for nearly two years due to
Achillies Heel damage.
The important thing is do they fit and feel comfortable and have they got a
good grippy sole. (Vibram is THE sole make)
Look for a shop that will allow you to try the boots on for some time and
walk around in them, some even have slopes etc for you to walk on to make
sure they fit and don't hurt your toes on downward slopes etc. Some even
allow you change the boots provided you haven't walked outside in them so
you can walk around at home for some time to ensure they stay comfortable
over time.
Make sure you take your thick walking socks and liners with you and don't be
precious about the size, comfortable fit is the only consideration.
If you are spending £130+ on good leather boots to last most of a lifetime
you have to get it right, approach shoes cost about £60 but are not
all-weather.

http://www.zamberlan.uk.com/
http://www.meindl.de/english/index.html

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

®óñ© © ²°¹° 19-02-2010 01:49 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:58:52 -0000, "john bently"
wrote:

Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

After you've got the boots, don't forget that it's virtually illegal
nowadays to walk outside the house without the use of Nordic Walking
Sticks, even if you're just popping round the corner for a paper.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Peter Clinch 19-02-2010 01:51 PM

Bob Hobden wrote:

If you are spending £130+ on good leather boots to last most of a
lifetime you have to get it right, approach shoes cost about £60 but are
not all-weather.

What weather aren't they?

Pete.

Peter Clinch 19-02-2010 02:02 PM

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:

After you've got the boots, don't forget that it's virtually illegal
nowadays to walk outside the house without the use of Nordic Walking
Sticks, even if you're just popping round the corner for a paper.

Note that trekking poles and Nordic Walking sticks have some overlap but
may be rather different. NW is an exercise regime and the poling
technique is meant to burn energy. Use of trekking poles, like other
walking sticks, is to give balance and spread load.

NW poles often have glove-type grips, which are great for power transfer
into the poles but a PITA on a walking stick because they're so awkward
in and out.

For more on trekking poles, see
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

(I like them on a really big day, but for most walking I prefer to do
without as they just get in the way.)

Pete.

rbel 19-02-2010 02:03 PM

wrote:

Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was
done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that
are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any
advice.

You may want to have a look at http://www.outdoorsmagic.com for reviews.
If you are prepared to pay around 100/150ukp Scarpa do a very good range.

--
rbel

Gopher 19-02-2010 02:45 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , john bently
writes
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

I have some very good walking shoes by Merrill. They are like trainers
only heavier and are waterproof as well as being warm. they are
lighter than the leather boots I have for walking and give a good
support. The cost was around 70GBP but they may have gone up in price
a little since 2008, when I bought mine. HTH

If it hasn't been mentioned before, there is a newsgroup for walkers
which offers an FAQ on boots and walking footwear. May I suggest you
subscribe and post to uk.rec.walking. The group is extremely
knowledgeable and very helpful.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Peter Clinch 19-02-2010 03:05 PM

rbel wrote:

You may want to have a look at http://www.outdoorsmagic.com for
reviews.

I'm an OM user and do reviews for the site from time to time... but I'd
be very wary of them. Consumer reviews often polarise into "this is
great" or "this sucks", as a way of underlining to oneself that you
bought the Best Thing, or getting back at the purveyor of something
perceived to have let you down. As the OM review writing guide notes,
most gear /should/ be 3 star, but there's an outsize incidence of 5
start reviews... It's also the case that user-reviewers seldom have
much to comparatively test against, and even if they did they'd rate a
boot the right shape much higher than an otherwise identical built on a
last that might better fit a prospective buyer.

If you are prepared to pay around 100/150ukp Scarpa do a very
good range.

They're only good if they happen to be the right shape for you. They
are for /me/, but I've friends and acquaintances that hate them with a
passion. Similarly, La Sportiva are very nice... for some people other
than me.

Pete.

Scott Bryce 19-02-2010 03:08 PM

Peter Clinch wrote:
Also, don't assume you need boots.

In fact, assume that you don't. Get a well fitting running shoe, or a
lightweight trail shoe. Boots are overkill for most hiking. Lightweight
shoes will allow you to use a more natural stride, and will be less
effort to walk in.

June Hughes[_2_] 19-02-2010 03:16 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

In message , Gopher
writes
In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , john bently
writes
[...]

The op cross-posted to a selection of groups (including uk.rec.walking).
Hence the whole selection of groups except this one being stripped out
in my reply. If he is that interested, which I doubt, he will look here
for an answer.
--
June Hughes

®óñ© © ²°¹° 19-02-2010 03:19 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:45:42 +0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , john bently
writes
[...]

May I point out that the original poster included uk.rec.walking in
the submission of his query to several cross-posted groups.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Peter Clinch 19-02-2010 03:34 PM

Scott Bryce wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Also, don't assume you need boots.

In fact, assume that you don't. Get a well fitting running shoe, or a
lightweight trail shoe. Boots are overkill for most hiking. Lightweight
shoes will allow you to use a more natural stride, and will be less
effort to walk in.

Indeed. Worth noting with running shoes is that not all grip patterns
are up to much off-road. You want some degree of cleats/studs/lugs to
deal with mud, unless you like sitting down a lot...

The more flexible the sole the more you'll get sore feet walking on hard
and uneven surfaces, but the less effort you'll waste on soft and/or
even ones.

Pete.

Vic Smith 19-02-2010 03:41 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:08:45 -0700, Scott Bryce
wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:
Also, don't assume you need boots.

In fact, assume that you don't. Get a well fitting running shoe, or a
lightweight trail shoe. Boots are overkill for most hiking. Lightweight
shoes will allow you to use a more natural stride, and will be less
effort to walk in.

Yes, hiking in rocks and walking level terrain are different.
I walked many miles a days some years ago and found that what shoes
you wear make a huge difference.
And price doesn't mean much.
I found New Balance running shoes best. Can't remember the model, but
they weren't expensive compared to others and hiking boots.
Cushion is important when you're pounding your heels down mile after
mile. I was lucky that a marathoner I knew recommended them.
Saved me expensive trial and error.
For putting on miles, it might be good to google what marathoners use.

--Vic

David[_16_] 19-02-2010 03:45 PM

"john bently" wrote in message
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was
done way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any
advice.

My choice :

Skateboard trainers for dry conditions. (stiffish soles, good grip, no
tread)

Specialized Rockhoppers without SPD cleats for wet and muddy conditions
(very stiff soles, lots of tread, slightly more water resistant)

Peter Clinch 19-02-2010 03:56 PM

Vic Smith wrote:

I found New Balance running shoes best. Can't remember the model, but
they weren't expensive compared to others and hiking boots.

Again, what works depends on your feet. I like NB in their 2E width
fitting, but again it's down to individual feet. I also like Saucony,
but not Adidas, others have different feet and different preferences.

Cushion is important when you're pounding your heels down mile after
mile. I was lucky that a marathoner I knew recommended them.

The particular ground you're on makes a difference. Running on streets
means a hard surface and exaggerated footfalls from running rather than
walking. Also, different folk have a different strike, those with a
heavy heel-plant probably need more cushioning than others. More
cushioning means a higher shoe, which means less control of the foot:
it's notable that fell-running shoes have practically no cushioning,
partly as they're for soft ground where the ground does the cushioning,
and partly to minimise the chances of turning an ankle getting nasty by
providing extra leverage from the extra shoe height.

Saved me expensive trial and error.
For putting on miles, it might be good to google what marathoners use.

Trail running shoes, which have more aggressive outsoles than street
shoes and usually tougher uppers, may be a better place to look unless
the OP is planning on walking around streets.

Pete.

Bob Hobden 19-02-2010 04:02 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

"Peter Clinch" wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:

If you are spending £130+ on good leather boots to last most of a
lifetime you have to get it right, approach shoes cost about £60 but are
not all-weather.

What weather aren't they?

Like now when everywhere is inches under water/mud.
Their soles also tend to be not so grippy as the full blown boot as I have
found to my cost traversing a slope in a snow storm!
Of course that may just be the ones I've got.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Barb[_5_] 19-02-2010 05:05 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

"john bently" wrote in message
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was
done way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any
advice.

I was in the same position about 5 years ago. I went to Milletts and bought
a pair of Peter Storm lightweight walking boots for about £40. I tried on
several, but these immediately felt almost comfortable enough to sleep in!
Don't buy anything which you think will "wear in" - they either feel good
straight away or they don't.

I've had a lot of use out of them, and they are light enough to walk on road
or off road in grotty weather, plus great grips. They gave away a couple of
pairs of socks with them as well, which are still going strong. Decent
socks are important, no ridges and providing a comfortable lining to the
boot.

Just go to somewhere like Millets and see how you get on!

Barb

Rod Speed 19-02-2010 07:05 PM

Barb wrote:
"john bently" wrote in message
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know
of a good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different
walking boots available please? Apparently the last consumers
association review was done way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive)
that are generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks
for any advice.

I was in the same position about 5 years ago. I went to Milletts and
bought a pair of Peter Storm lightweight walking boots for about £40.
I tried on several, but these immediately felt almost comfortable
enough to sleep in!

Don't buy anything which you think will "wear in"
- they either feel good straight away or they don't.

Thats not right. My current boots were a tad tight over the top of the foot, but
wore in fine and are by far the most comfortable for walking I have ever had.

I've had a lot of use out of them, and they are light enough to walk
on road or off road in grotty weather, plus great grips. They gave
away a couple of pairs of socks with them as well, which are still
going strong. Decent socks are important, no ridges and providing a
comfortable lining to the boot.

And its important to avoid pure synthetics too.

Just go to somewhere like Millets and see how you get on!

PeterC[_2_] 20-02-2010 04:48 PM

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:26:41 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

The important thing is do they fit and feel comfortable and have they got a
good grippy sole. (Vibram is THE sole make)

IME Vibram soles both skid easily and wear out rapidly.

I'm interested in Haglofs boots with the Hypergrip sole - would it live up
to its name?
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Bob Hobden 20-02-2010 05:44 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

"PeterC" wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:

The important thing is do they fit and feel comfortable and have they got
good grippy sole. (Vibram is THE sole make)

IME Vibram soles both skid easily and wear out rapidly.

Not in my experience, certainly not as bad as some others. Probably depends
on the tread pattern.

Simon Challands 20-02-2010 05:54 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:
Also, don't assume you need boots.

In fact, assume that you don't. Get a well fitting running shoe, or a
lightweight trail shoe. Boots are overkill for most hiking. Lightweight
shoes will allow you to use a more natural stride, and will be less
effort to walk in.

Yes, hiking in rocks and walking level terrain are different.

Solid level terrain is also different from giving level terrain and
rocks. I wear boots (don't fancy picking my way along the top of the
Scafells in shoes), and they're fine there, they're fine on level,
good stony paths, and they knacker me on roads.

--
Simon Challands

Tom 21-02-2010 12:05 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

PeterC wrote in
IME Vibram soles both skid easily and wear out rapidly.

My previous boots' leather gave up the ghost after
nearly a quarter of a century. The vibram was still
in perfectly adequate condition.

Vibram can aquaplane, particularly on smooth stone
surfaces. I haven't tested whether other materials
and/or tread patterns are better or worse.

pamela[_3_] 21-02-2010 02:27 AM

john bently wrote:
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

Buying a hiking boot from a review is like buying a dog from a review.

Fit is essential between your foot shape and your hiking boot choice.
You can get a great boot that doesn't fit your feet, and pretend that
you have made the best choice.

Some people buy a dog based on how they and the dog get along together.
That is probably a better match than a dog from a breed that experts like.

The common wisdom being passed around today is that fit is most important.

After that there are some other things like getting a rugged boot for
rugged conditions, or not getting a boot with a sole that is slick when
wet. Those are things that boot reviews can be good for. I bought a well
known brand of boot that was slick as snail snot when wet, and threw
them out after the second fall. A review might have helped me avoid that.

Magazines aren't good places for gear reviews anymore, as publishers
hate to give an advertiser a lousy review. That can be bad for the
publication business.

You might try http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/

They (backpackgeartest.com) accept samples from industry and
volunteer/users provide reviews of the equipment. In addition, owners of
gear have been known to submit their own reviews of equipment they have
purchased.

I have also heard of http://gearjunkie.com/

Rod Speed 21-02-2010 02:51 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

pamela wrote
john bently wrote

Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a good place to see some *critical* reviews of
the different walking boots available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done way back in
april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive)
that are generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks
for any advice.

Buying a hiking boot from a review is like buying a dog from a review.

Nothing like in fact.

Fit is essential between your foot shape and your hiking boot choice.

Yes, but it does make sense to get a boot that has good reviews
on its design detail and THEN make sure it fits well too.

You can get a great boot that doesn't fit your feet, and pretend that you have made the best choice.

Some people buy a dog based on how they and the dog get along together.

Thats very difficult to do with very young puppys particularly.

That is probably a better match than a dog from a breed that experts like.

Or you could have enough of a clue to work out what breed you
want from the breed characteristics and then work out which of
the dogs that are available from the breed you like and then you
will be more likely to end up with the sort of dog you want,
given the behaviour that particular breed is known for etc.

The common wisdom being passed around today is that fit is most important.

Yes, but its is also important that the design is well done too and its well made etc as well.

After that there are some other things like getting a rugged boot for rugged conditions, or not getting a boot with a
sole that is slick
when wet. Those are things that boot reviews can be good for.

And for other things like how well it lasts and how well made it is etc.

I bought a well known brand of boot that was slick as snail snot when wet, and threw them out after the second fall. A
review might have helped me avoid that.

It might indeed.

Magazines aren't good places for gear reviews anymore, as publishers hate to give an advertiser a lousy review. That
can be bad for the publication business.

You might try http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/

They (backpackgeartest.com) accept samples from industry and volunteer/users provide reviews of the equipment.

But its less clear how many of them are competant reviewers
and whether they will use them the way you plan to etc.

In addition, owners of gear have been known to submit their own reviews of equipment they have purchased.

Trouble with those, they arent likely to have tried too many alternatives.

I have also heard of http://gearjunkie.com/

Voyer 21-02-2010 03:46 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

Not saying its right for you but I wear L.L.Bean Trail Model Hikers and I
find them very comfortable. If you have a store near you, you can always go
in and try them out. They also have a great satisfaction guarantee.

GSV Three Minds in a Can 21-02-2010 08:00 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

On 20/02/2010 17:44, Bob Hobden wrote:

"PeterC" wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:

The important thing is do they fit and feel comfortable and have they
got a
good grippy sole. (Vibram is THE sole make)

IME Vibram soles both skid easily and wear out rapidly.

Not in my experience, certainly not as bad as some others. Probably
depends on the tread pattern.

There are numerous different flavours of Vibram soles, and not all are
equal, but IME they do grip better than most of the alternatives.

As far as boots go .. well I've destroyed or abandoned about 10 pairs
now (3 still on the go) .. for best fit at full price (for MY feet) I
like the commercial Alt-berg ones, since they come in 5 width fittings,
and half sizes, although not all stockists stock all of them. My last
pair lasted 1500 miles, and was comfy quite fast.

If you want cheaper, then I'm quite happy with the Johncliffe Scafell
boot, for about 1/3rd of the price - I got mine via Amazon. Hawkshead
Lomer also used to be good (for me) but are now gone. Karrimor
Skye/Orkney work well for deep stuff in winter, but are a bit high for
real comfort, and take a long time to wear in.

But as everyone has said - fit is most important, followed by a decent
sole, and if you're out on mud / grass etc you need some =edges= ..
rounded heels will dump you on the first slope you try to traverse..

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
16,110 Km walked. 2,937 Km PROWs surveyed. 53.1% complete.

PeterC[_2_] 21-02-2010 08:36 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:05:14 GMT, Tom wrote:

PeterC wrote in
IME Vibram soles both skid easily and wear out rapidly.

My previous boots' leather gave up the ghost after
nearly a quarter of a century. The vibram was still
in perfectly adequate condition.

Yes, my old boots are OK after a lot of walking, but the Scarpa soles were
well worn after about a year and mainly flatt(ish) ground. They also skid
on a clean, wet road (where my bike tyres are difficult to lock (well, rear
wheel!) and last for 3,000 miles.

Vibram can aquaplane, particularly on smooth stone
surfaces. I haven't tested whether other materials
and/or tread patterns are better or worse.

It'd need a lot of water and speed to get those cleats to aquaplane!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Bill Grey 21-02-2010 01:19 PM

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Scott Bryce wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Also, don't assume you need boots.

In fact, assume that you don't. Get a well fitting running shoe, or a
lightweight trail shoe. Boots are overkill for most hiking. Lightweight
shoes will allow you to use a more natural stride, and will be less
effort to walk in.

Indeed. Worth noting with running shoes is that not all grip patterns
are up to much off-road. You want some degree of cleats/studs/lugs to
deal with mud, unless you like sitting down a lot...

The more flexible the sole the more you'll get sore feet walking on hard
and uneven surfaces, but the less effort you'll waste on soft and/or
even ones.

Pete.

FWIW, my preference for trail shoes would be Meindle(Scout). they are
waterproof and very durable, oh yes- and comfortable.

Bill

Bill Grey 21-02-2010 01:24 PM

wrote:

Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was
done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any
advice.

After you've got the boots, don't forget that it's virtually illegal
nowadays to walk outside the house without the use of Nordic Walking
Sticks, even if you're just popping round the corner for a paper.

So I should be safe using my two hazel thumbsticks then :-)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Tom 21-02-2010 08:11 PM

:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:05:14 GMT, Tom wrote:

Vibram can aquaplane, particularly on smooth stone
surfaces. I haven't tested whether other materials
and/or tread patterns are better or worse.

It'd need a lot of water and speed to get those cleats to aquaplane!

:)

Ah, but it only needs to aquaplane for the very
short time until the balance is sufficiently upset.
After that it doesn't matter whether the water has
had time to be squeezed into the cleats, because
the entire boot is nowhere the ground!

Bill Grey 21-02-2010 08:25 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , john bently
writes
[...]

I've only just noticed the coss posting. John's query has been addressed
quite enthusiastically on uk.rec.walking.

I admit to having failed to notice the cross posting.

Bill

FenlandRunner 21-02-2010 08:34 PM

On 19 Feb, 12:20, Peter Clinch wrote:
john bently wrote:
[...]

Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 * * * * * * *Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net * *http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I'm not an Inov-8 salesman but south of the border I can't see the
point in boots.

For just trail stuff the f-lites are great, and as Pete suggested the
mud-rocs have sufficient lugs to cope with mud, grass, etc.

Hopefully, the old-fashioned view of must wear boots on the hill is
diminishing?

FenlandRunner 21-02-2010 08:35 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

On 20 Feb, 17:54, Simon Challands
wrote:

wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Also, don't assume you need boots.

In fact, assume that you don't. Get a well fitting running shoe, or a
lightweight trail shoe. Boots are overkill for most hiking. Lightweight
shoes will allow you to use a more natural stride, and will be less
effort to walk in.

Yes, hiking in rocks and walking level terrain are different.

Solid level terrain is also different from giving level terrain and
rocks. I wear boots (don't fancy picking my way along the top of the
Scafells in shoes), and they're fine there, they're fine on level,
good stony paths, and they knacker me on roads.

--
Simon Challands

"(don't fancy picking my way along the top of the
Scafells in shoes)"

A light pair of Inov-8's will see you skipping across the rocks? ;-)

PeterC[_2_] 21-02-2010 09:10 PM

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:34:33 -0800 (PST), FenlandRunner wrote:

ot an Inov-8 salesman but south of the border I can't see the
point in boots.

For just trail stuff the f-lites are great, and as Pete suggested the
mud-rocs have sufficient lugs to cope with mud, grass, etc.

Hopefully, the old-fashioned view of must wear boots on the hill is
diminishing?

Well, walking across fields yesterday, after the frost was going, would
have been very messy in shoes! In several places the mud was half way up
the boots and in others there were about 2 - 3" of icy water.
Not too easy to avoid these when on footpaths near farms.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

[email protected] 21-02-2010 09:15 PM

walking boots-- which are good?

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:34:33 -0800 (PST), FenlandRunner wrote:

ot an Inov-8 salesman but south of the border I can't see the
point in boots.

For just trail stuff the f-lites are great, and as Pete suggested the
mud-rocs have sufficient lugs to cope with mud, grass, etc.

Hopefully, the old-fashioned view of must wear boots on the hill is
diminishing?

Well, walking across fields yesterday, after the frost was going, would
have been very messy in shoes! In several places the mud was half way up
the boots and in others there were about 2 - 3" of icy water.
Not too easy to avoid these when on footpaths near farms.

Heather is quite fun in shoes, too. Boot keep most of it out, and
boots+gaiters are more-or-less proof against it.

Also, the simple padding is quite important for rocky going; a
clip on the ankle is enough to make it quite hard to walk.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Christopher Loffredo 21-02-2010 11:01 PM

FenlandRunner wrote:

Hopefully, the old-fashioned view of must wear boots on the hill is
diminishing?

Depends on what is being done: One or two week treks with heavy packs,
often in less than ideal seasons (my typical "hill" use, due to
geographic reasons) would be pretty miserable without boots...

Sometimes miserable with! ;-)
(I've had boots go mouldy in Scotland!!!)

PeterC[_2_] 22-02-2010 08:46 AM

walking boots-- which are good?

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:15:20 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
[...]

My first boots had little padding over the ankles and a clip against a rock
hurt through 2 layers of leather.
I did do a walk that had a lot of rocky going - including stepping stones
and limestone pavement - in sandals and didn't hurt anything. It's like
wearing snadals whilst playing darts - one is much more aware of what could
happen and adjusts accordingly.
Still wouldn't want to be in sandals across wet farmland, though.

--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.