Old 26-02-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Feature

I am contemplating installing a small water feature, perhaps
something with a drilled stone sitting on pebbles.

There seem to be some available as kits, alternatively parts can
be bought separately. I guess for the stone, getting this locally
would reduce transport costs.

Are kits likely to have sufficiently generous reservoir and
catchment tray?

I read that pumps should be removed in winter, yet a supplier of
more contemporary installations I spoke to claimed that he simply
left his in situ. Whilst I am OK with manhandling a moderately
sized stone into position initially, I am not too happy with
having to disturb it regularly.

What is the most cost efficient way of keeping the water clear?

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 27-02-2010, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Your water feature will be the most popular bird bath in your
neighborhood lol. I have a friend that installed a large water feature
in his yard but it has fish in it and the pumps and filters keep the
water clean and circulating. If I were you I'd buy some activated carbon
and put it where the water passes over and that should help keep the
water fresh for some time. Pet stores that sell fish have the activated
carbon.
I also use some activated carbon in my potting soil to keep the soil
fresh. Good luck on your oudoor water feature.

Old 27-02-2010, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:48:03 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

I read that pumps should be removed in winter, yet a supplier of
more contemporary installations I spoke to claimed that he simply
left his in situ. Whilst I am OK with manhandling a moderately
sized stone into position initially, I am not too happy with
having to disturb it regularly.

The pump in my six year old water feature has never been removed. It
is switched off most of winter but never removed.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
Old 28-02-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The pump in my six year old water feature has never been removed. It
is switched off most of winter but never removed.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.

I leave my pumps running in my pond during the winter, filtation for the
fish and the water feature (****ing boy) stops the whole of the suface of
the pond freezing over. I the summer I have them on a timer so they go off
at 9pm and on again at 7:30am.

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM
water feature manil United Kingdom 5 26-01-2003 11:37 AM