Old 27-02-2010, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Found

When we came back from the Hospital yesterday my Wife thought that
someone had been in through the gate, it was only around 5pm when I
was goingg out for a haircut that I spoted a package under the van, it
could easily have been there till Tuesday when we are due to go out
next.
It was a delivery from J Parker Dutch Bulbs(Wholesale)

2 grapevines Good roots and moderate tops.
Some early seed potatoes, look OK
5 Powder Puff Dahlia Anemone I t5uber totaly trashed
Three each of Vancouver 2 tubers with around 70% of bulbe broken
necked, I tuber with dahlia gall
and Avignon.Dahlias I tuber with severe rot and I with bad dahlia gall
Giant Goliath Lily Collection Look Good
Free begonias look OK
6 free agapanthus (free) 2 with wet rot, total write off

My verdict not good.
The problem with so mant firms like this they get everything
delivereds from Holland in bins,then just pick and pack with no
knowledge of the quality in the packs (And no interest either)

How find you al out there?
David Hill Abacus Nurseries
Old 27-02-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
[...]

The worst mail order firm I've used was Jaques Amand, nothing I got from
them ever grew for more than 12 months. Sickly weedy plants that just didn't
thrive.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-02-2010, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
It was a delivery from J Parker Dutch Bulbs(Wholesale)

Several gardening friends will not order from |Parker's even from their
Trade catalogue prices some stuff very small which is okay but some
stuff not true to label.

Good for enmasse or if you aren't too picky though. Worth getting trade
catalogue anyway.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-02-2010, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

How about the Dutch company Bakker?

For every £10 you spend with them £9 goes on the over-the-top junk mail,
the readers digest type of cash prize and the **** gift you get with
every order.

Subtract VAT, the cost of postage and a 50% profit margin and what is
left for raising decent plants?

--
Alan

$
Old 28-02-2010, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Feb, 19:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:19:19 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill

wrote:
[...]

I buy from them occasionally, with mixed results like you. Some of it
is very good, if rather small, but it grows. But what grows doesn't
always match the description of what was ordered/sent. Had some irises
for the bog garden two years ago supposedly in a selection of colours,
that turned out to be mostly whites. Pleasant enough, but not what was
ordered. I had some dicentra plants last year the looked as though
they'd 'divided' them by simply putting them through a shredder. I
planted up the bits more in hope than expectation, but they all grew
and I have as many good plants as I ordered.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

E-mail: christopher[dot]hogg[at]virgin[dot]net- Hide quoted text -

Thompson & Morgan for me are the worst, last year out of an order for
36 lily bulbs, only 5 were of the type that I had ordered. They
offered a money refund but what use is that when you have ordered
plants?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered User

Thumbs down

I won't order from J Parker any more - not only are their plants tiny, they take your money immediately even if they don't deliver until six months later! (I've no doubt it's all in the Terms and Conditions!!)
I have tried them for several years but have now had enough.

Jane
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I won't buy plants from them now, but their bulbs are usually okay.

Spider

Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered User

Hello,

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I am looking for some giant lilies and I was thinking of buying from J Parker Dutch Bulbs (the "Goliath OT Collection" and "Lily Miss Freya"), but after reading the above comments I'm not so sure anymore.

The thing is, I currently live in The Netherlands, but even though J Parker supposedly imports these bulbs from The Netherlands, I can't find those giant lilies here.

Can anyone recommend an alternative source for such bulbs, either in The Netherlands or an UK company which would ship here? Actually, what is the right name for those kind of giant lilies, a name that I can more properly use in Google searches?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Sebastian