Old 01-03-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lime

Called into a DIY shop for some lime. They no longer stock it because a
H&S issues, though I think that may be a good cop out. It occurred to me
that builders merchants might be a cheap source. Is their lime ok for
gardens, or does it need more refining?
--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Switch to lemons they taste better than limes.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Called into a DIY shop for some lime. They no longer stock it because a
H&S issues, though I think that may be a good cop out. It occurred to me
that builders merchants might be a cheap source. Is their lime ok for
gardens, or does it need more refining?

I think I recently read that you can use hydrated lime (which I think is
what builders use for lime mortar) but that crushed limestone is better.

Where you get crushed limestone, however, it didn't say.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 1 Mar, 13:12, Broadback wrote:
Called into a DIY shop for some lime. They no longer stock it because a
H&S issues, though I think that may be a good cop out. It occurred to me
that builders merchants might be a cheap source. Is their lime ok for
gardens, or does it need more refining?
--
Skulking in the low lands of North Staffordshire
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

AFIK, hydrated lime is hydrated lime wherever you get it from. I've
used the stuff builders' merchants use for years. I do let it weather
a bit after spreading - which you'd do anyway.

Rod
Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/03/2010 14:12, Broadback wrote:
Called into a DIY shop for some lime. They no longer stock it because a
H&S issues, though I think that may be a good cop out.

I was surprised to find I could buy quick-lime as well as ordinary
(hydrated) lime here in France from the agricultural shop. No warning
labels on the sacks. So much for elfin safety issues here. H&S seems to
take a back seat. It is common on the DIY programs on TV to see people
not wearing dust masks when doing dusty jobs or no eye protection using
angle grinders etc. I'm not sure which is worse - the lack of H&S here
or the over-abundance of it in the UK nanny state.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote
Called into a DIY shop for some lime. They no longer stock it because a
H&S issues, though I think that may be a good cop out. It occurred to me
that builders merchants might be a cheap source. Is their lime ok for
gardens, or does it need more refining?

Hilliers Garden Centre near me is selling 20Kg bags, so do you have a
Hilliers near you.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 13:12:48 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Called into a DIY shop for some lime. They no longer stock it because a
H&S issues, though I think that may be a good cop out. It occurred to me
that builders merchants might be a cheap source. Is their lime ok for
gardens, or does it need more refining?

Most 'lime' available in garden centres etc. these days is ground
limestone, i.e. calcium carbonate, whereas true lime is calcium oxide,
or if hydrated, calcium hydroxide. Calcium oxide rapidly converts to
calcium hydroxide when wetted, with the evolution of a lot of heat.
Calcium hydroxide slowly converts to calcium carbonate in the air as
it reacts with carbon dioxide. It's the mechanism by which lime mortar
sets. Much of the lime you spread on the ground will end up as calcium
carbonate. The only real difference between lime and ground limestone
from a horticultural point of view is that ground limestone is slower
to work.

Much of the ground limestone available in garden centres contains a fair
proportion of magnesium carbonate. Where the proportion is over 20% the
product is often marketed as 'dolomite' lime. Magnesium carbonate is even
less soluble in the soil, so very long lasting, but very beneficial to
plants.

Phil Gurr
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 03-03-2010, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:48:07 -0000, "Phil Gurr"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

From time to time I chuck a handful or two of the magnesium-containing
stuff into the pond to keep it from getting too acid and killing the
snails by dissolving their shells. AIUI dolomitic limestone gives a
slightly less alkaline pH than pure limestone. Certainly the pond pH
stabilises at around 7 when so treated.

Magnesium carbonate is just as alkaline as calcium carbonate, but the
release is so slow that it is counteracted by natural acidity. This is
especially so in a pond where the water always tends toward acidity.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland