Old 07-03-2010, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Take care watering

I just had to post this excert from an item in the Malta Times,

Quarry collapse blamed on water
Kurt Sansone

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...4u2/quarry.jpg

The collapse of a whole quarry side in Mqabba, which damaged a school
playground, may have been caused by excessive watering of plants by
the school, according to the quarry owner.

ÄŠensu Farrugia, known as Ta' Puzzu, yesterday said no rock cutting had
taken place for quite some time in the area that collapsed.

"The school used to leave a lot of water running and I think that is
what caused it," Mr Farrugia said with reference to a tract of soil on
school premises which separated the play area from the boundary wall
with the quarry.

However, the chief executive of the Occupational Health and Safety
Authority had said it was "still early in the day" to determine what
led to the rock face collapse.

The crumbling rock face pulled down the dividing wall; the school
yard, which includes a five-a-side artificial pitch, stands just
metres away from what is now a sheer drop.

A small well used by school staff to water the trees and plants in the
yard and a larger disused reservoir nearby were also destroyed.

Stressing that nobody was hurt in the incident, Mr Farrugia insisted
the authorities knew there was a quarry when they built an extension
to the school a couple of years ago.

David Hill
Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
I just had to post this excert from an item in the Malta Times,

[...]
Censu Farrugia, known as Ta' Puzzu, yesterday said no rock cutting had
taken place for quite some time in the area that collapsed.

[...]
Ah the great Maltese nickname! I gather they're so significant that
there's even a space for one's ekename on government forms.

--
Mike.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
I just had to post this excert from an item in the Malta Times,

[...]
Censu Farrugia, known as Ta' Puzzu, yesterday said no rock cutting had
taken place for quite some time in the area that collapsed.

[...]
Ah the great Maltese nickname! I gather they're so significant that
there's even a space for one's ekename on government forms.

In the Utter Hebrides everyone has a nickname. When you look at the
telephone directory and see how many Macleods, Mackays, Macdonalds,
Mackenzies, Smiths etc that there are, and that most have Gaelic names,
you understand the necessity.

"Do you know Alasdair Macleod?"

"Seall, now would that be Alasdair mac Lachlan mac Uilleam, Alasdair og
mac Aggi, Alasdair Macleod mac Alasdair Ruadh? etc.

It's probably for the same reason on Malta innit.

--
Rusty