Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning book recommendations?

As usual I lent my RHS book to someone and haven't seen it since!
However I did think as it was so old anyway I might fork out for a new
up to date book on pruning.

I need a fairly comprehensive one not a pretty coffee table one so I'd
be really grateful for recommendations from any one out there please.

I am assuming that some pruning methods and timing have been altered to
take into account global warming and also the new shrubs being grown
nowadays in the UK.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
As usual I lent my RHS book to someone and haven't seen it since!
However I did think as it was so old anyway I might fork out for a new
up to date book on pruning.

I need a fairly comprehensive one not a pretty coffee table one so I'd
be really grateful for recommendations from any one out there please.

I am assuming that some pruning methods and timing have been altered
to take into account global warming and also the new shrubs being
grown nowadays in the UK.

Janet

I have a book which I purchased from a second hand book shop in Hay,
it's called " The Gardener's Guide to Pruning" by H Fraser, I find it
useful but it's the only pruning book I've got so I cannot make any
comparisons.
It might be useful to delve through some second hand book shops as I
often do. Slightly off topic however, I have collected over many years
all the books written by Michael Howarth Booth which I find really
informative and a pleasant and amusing read. I also have a full set of
Bean's collected in this way.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings.
Cheers
Don
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote:
Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

I noticed that Amazon had a few used at approx £4 inc delivery.
Don
Old 09-03-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Copies of the RHS pruning book can be found from £1.69 at
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ning&x=20&y=21
--

Martin

Thanks martin, i see there hasn't been an update publication for some
time so it is probably as old as my original one!! I just felt that in
some areas the pruning was being on the conservative side for some
shrubs, though saying that, the last three winters seems to have put all
thoughts of tempting providence out of our minds!!
Of course as soon as i buy another copy, whoever has my one will
probably suddenly come to and return it

Janet