Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dwarf fruit trees

Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier of drawf/pygmy/patio fruit trees
please? We want to put an apricot and a victoria plum on the lottie, but
due to the trees already there [and also due to me being a short a**e who
can't reach fruit on normal trees] a full size tree would either have to go
on a neighbour's plot or out on the track, due to the spacing required.
TIA

--
Kathy

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kathy,
How about growing the trees as cordons or espaliers? Take up little
space and can be used to edge the plot. The pruning is done in the
summer, so a pleasant job. Can start with a maiden, 1 year old tree.
Going with something on a M26 or MM106 rootstock is the best choice,
unless you a planning on having a Bramley or other triploid cultivar,
then go smaller rootstock. Also do not use a tip bearer, such as
Worcester Pearmain or Irish Peach, as cordons, as you will always be
cutting the fruit buds away.
Clifford

Old 12-03-2010, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kathy McIntosh wrote:
Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier of drawf/pygmy/patio fruit trees
please? We want to put an apricot and a victoria plum on the lottie,
but due to the trees already there [and also due to me being a short
a**e who can't reach fruit on normal trees] a full size tree would
either have to go on a neighbour's plot or out on the track, due to the
spacing required.

Read's Nursery next to Hales Hall, near Norwich.

I'm sure they do mail-order.

--
Rusty
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 11 Mar, 19:50, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier of drawf/pygmy/patio fruit trees
please? *We want to put an apricot and a victoria plum on the lottie, but
due to the trees already there [and also due to me being a short a**e who
can't reach fruit on normal trees] a full size tree would either have to go
on a neighbour's plot or out on the track, due to the spacing required.
TIA

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/

Good range of plants, good quality, well packed, they let you know
when to expect delivery, theyr'e fruit nuts and good to deal with.

You don't get such a huge choice of rootstocks in the plum or families
asyou do with apples.
As Cliff says grow in a restricted form, which with apricots & plums
is usually fan trained.
Save some money and learn something by starting with maidens (1st year
plants) and forming your own fans.

Rod
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Rod and Cliff,
unfortunately we already have things growing along the boundaries. It might
be worth considering having them as a divider on the plot, I'll talk it over
with my soil mate, whose lottie it actually is.

--
Kathy

Old 18-03-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On Mar 12, 10:58*pm, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

[...]

Well they don't have to be on a boundary, my row of apple cordons is
down the middle of a deep bed in the plot, also I have a 'stepover'
tree on Malling 27 alongside a path in the home garden as well as an
espalier a couple of feet (so I can maintain the shed) in front of my
workshop in the home garden.

Rod