Old 18-03-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree Identification

I walked past this tree yesterday, and wondered what it was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.828887,-1.186917&spn=0,359.999144&t=h&z=21&layer=tc&cbll=5 2.828887,-1.186917&panoid=BdQzSrgJCsQM8C_zrfkG1A&cbp=12,337. 87,,1,5.3

Right now it is about 3 m high. The trunk is silvery white,
peeling slightly. The branches form a true goblet shape, all
pointing upwards, and the newer growth is reddish.

Looks like a good choice for limited space.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 18-03-2010, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Mar, 09:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I walked past this tree yesterday, and wondered what it was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.828887,-1.186917&sp...

Right now it is about 3 m high. The trunk is silvery white,
peeling slightly. The branches form a true goblet shape, all
pointing upwards, and the newer growth is reddish.

Looks like a good choice for limited space.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

It's a silver birch, but I don't think that publishing the address of
the house is a very good idea,
David Hill
Old 18-03-2010, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 18 Mar, 09:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I walked past this tree yesterday, and wondered what it was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.828887,-1.186917&sp...

Right now it is about 3 m high. The trunk is silvery white,
peeling slightly. The branches form a true goblet shape, all
pointing upwards, and the newer growth is reddish.

Looks like a good choice for limited space.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

It's a silver birch, but I don't think that publishing the address of
the house is a very good idea,
David Hill

I suspect that it is a Himalayan or Chinese birch. I'd guess at Betula
jacquemontii, and likely a selection such as 'Inverewe' or 'Inverleith,
but I'm not familiar enough with the group to exclude Betula utilis or
Betula albosinensis.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-03-2010, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

On 18 Mar, 09:19, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I walked past this tree yesterday, and wondered what it was.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.828887,-1.186917&sp...

Right now it is about 3 m high. The trunk is silvery white,
peeling slightly. The branches form a true goblet shape, all
pointing upwards, and the newer growth is reddish.

Looks like a good choice for limited space.

It's a silver birch, but I don't think that publishing the address of
the house is a very good idea,

I thought it might be some form of silver birch, but its compact
nature surprised me. It looks as though it has been there for
some time, but remained a manageable size.

I simply linked to Google streetview. You may well have issues
with it, but I don't expect anybody rushing round to make off
with the tree.

Chris

Old 18-03-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On Mar 18, 2:03*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's a White Birch as Stewart Robert Hinsley says, not to be
confused with our native Silver Birch B.alba. Looks like the owner has
been pruning it to fit his image of how the tree should look. For
myself I like to see them grown more freely.

Rod

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM