Old 29-03-2010, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some sod...

....has picked the daffodils I planted on the roadside verge
outside our garden wall!!! There were about ten flowers there
yesterday morning when I went out, none when I returned in the
afternoon.

Mike

Old 29-03-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
...has picked the daffodils I planted on the roadside verge
outside our garden wall!!! There were about ten flowers there
yesterday morning when I went out, none when I returned in the
afternoon.

The fairies have taken them for telephones.

--
Rusty
Old 29-03-2010, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/29/2010 11:22 AM, Muddymike wrote:
...has picked the daffodils I planted on the roadside verge
outside our garden wall!!! There were about ten flowers there
yesterday morning when I went out, none when I returned in the
afternoon.

I hate when this happens. We have public footpaths running on all sides
(and through) our property, and it has happened that "passers by" have
helped themselves to far more than 10. Also fruit, which is not so
accessible as all that. A path going by has been published on not one
but two of the "recommended walks," so we've seen quite an increase over
the last couple of years.

I'm all for footpaths most of the time, and most people are quite
polite, I don't mind the occasional request for directions or water. I
do mind, however, having to chasing off people taking "shortcuts",
(although ramblers are far better about this than hunters or heaven
forbid idiots on quads), or worse nicking my flowers etc.

-E
Old 29-03-2010, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:22:47 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

...has picked the daffodils I planted on the roadside verge
outside our garden wall!!! There were about ten flowers there
yesterday morning when I went out, none when I returned in the
afternoon.

I do sympathise and it's all very annoying, but if you planted bulbs
on a strip of public property, the strip of land does not become yours
surely, and probably the flowers either, come to that

And some Councils would give you a rollicking for interfering with
their maintenance of their property and have you restore it to its
previous condition, on pain of death!

Of course, if you do own the verge right up to the tarmac, you do have
a grievance. You must get Scotland Yard involved.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 29-03-2010, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

...has picked the daffodils I planted on the roadside verge
outside our garden wall!!! There were about ten flowers there
yesterday morning when I went out, none when I returned in the
afternoon.

I do sympathise and it's all very annoying, but if you planted
bulbs
on a strip of public property, the strip of land does not
become yours
surely, and probably the flowers either, come to that

And some Councils would give you a rollicking for interfering
with
their maintenance of their property and have you restore it to
its
previous condition, on pain of death!

Of course, if you do own the verge right up to the tarmac, you
do have
a grievance. You must get Scotland Yard involved.

I neither know nor care who owns the strip of grass beyond my
wall. I do know that for about a third of its length nothing will
grow due to it being on the outside of a bend in the road, the
first bend on route from the council salt depot. This bit gets
overdosed with salt every winter as great clumps of the stuff
fall from the spreaders.

The council do cut the grass occasionally, but not as often as I
strim it to stop untidy tufts growing up against the base of the
wall. I also periodically walk up and pick out the crisp packets
that someone keeps stuffing in between the stones, probably the
same person that throws empty drink cans and bottles over the
wall. One day I will be out there when one comes flying over...

Mike

Old 29-03-2010, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote ...
"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote
"Muddymike" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like an ideal place for growing some Seakale!

The council do cut the grass occasionally, but not as often as I strim it
to stop untidy tufts growing up against the base of the wall. I also
periodically walk up and pick out the crisp packets that someone keeps
stuffing in between the stones, probably the same person that throws empty
drink cans and bottles over the wall. One day I will be out there when one
comes flying over...

I've seen a lot of drivers throwing stuff out of vehicles lately, shows a
dreadful and selfish attitude to the rest of us.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-03-2010, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
...has picked the daffodils I planted on the roadside verge outside our
garden wall!!! There were about ten flowers there yesterday morning when I
went out, none when I returned in the afternoon.

That's such a pity. If you have a nearby lamp post I'd put up a shaming
notice on it. "To the person who picked all the daffodils" use your own
imagination after that.
Tina

Expression of SOD and some stress related genes Sutk Nakasa Plant Biology 0 23-09-2006 08:58 AM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
New Some St. Augustine sod? Gae Xavier Texas 4 19-11-2004 01:28 PM
Sod Lifter Astro Obs Texas 2 05-03-2003 08:18 PM
Time to set out St. Augustine sod? Sam Texas 1 23-02-2003 10:49 PM