Old 30-03-2010, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fig tree hit by frost

How would you treat a fig tree that has lost most of the figs due to
frost/the cold? The tree is about 5 years old and about 6 foot tall,
against a house wall. Not fan trained.
I've never grown figs so i am not sure of how to go about tackling it.
Like wise some books say figs can harm foundations (house is about mid
19th century) others say it is fine left there.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 30-03-2010, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
How would you treat a fig tree that has lost most of the figs due to
frost/the cold? The tree is about 5 years old and about 6 foot tall,
against a house wall. Not fan trained.

As the saying goes, they do, dearie, they do. I have never had any
figs overwinter, so the second crop is the first. That's normal
in most parts of the UK. Otherwise, do nothing except prune out
any dead wood and tidy up. They are very tough, and can be cut
back to the base if necessary.

I've never grown figs so i am not sure of how to go about tackling it.
Like wise some books say figs can harm foundations (house is about mid
19th century) others say it is fine left there.

Dunno, but I have seen established ones next to several old houses.
They certainly aren't as bad as some things, but I don't know if
they are safe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-03-2010, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
How would you treat a fig tree that has lost most of the figs due to
frost/the cold? The tree is about 5 years old and about 6 foot tall,
against a house wall. Not fan trained.
I've never grown figs so i am not sure of how to go about tackling it.
Like wise some books say figs can harm foundations (house is about mid
19th century) others say it is fine left there.

Janet

I believe the fig trees grown by the majority are Brown Turkey variety
which are, I think, pretty tough and can withstand the average UK winter
without any problem. As far as being a danger to foundations is
concerned, I have heard this too but was also told that they produce
much better when their roots are strictly confined: therefore I planted
ours in a large pot sunk into the ground. This has in no way inhibited
its growth; it makes very strong growth annually, produces prolifically
and keeps our secateur muscles in fine trim. I suspect one of the keys
to maximising production is to have it suitably located. We have it on a
S. facing wall and I am attempting to fan train it against a Ham Stone
wall.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 30-03-2010, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
How would you treat a fig tree that has lost most of the figs due to
frost/the cold? The tree is about 5 years old and about 6 foot tall,
against a house wall. Not fan trained.
I've never grown figs so i am not sure of how to go about tackling it.
Like wise some books say figs can harm foundations (house is about mid
19th century) others say it is fine left there.

You can just leave the tree as it is, or pick-off the figs. They
wouldn't have come to anything anyway in the open.

Figs crop three times a year, but in our climate, we only (reliably) get
one.

I expect you'll get the one crop in mid summer.

--
Rusty