Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered User

If you have the patience and spare space just cover the ground in black plastic sheet. It will take probably 12 months. I have used this effectively on large areas badly infested after trying most things. I have also loaded the surface with fresh farmyard manure before puttng down the plastic.( 300 + mm. deep!) Got rid of couch grass, manured ground and no space taken by composting. Three jobs in one!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloody couch grass!

wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus spp.) is a parasitic plant for which the host
is assorted grasses. If you could establish Yellow Rattle it would
decrease the vigour of the grasses on which it was growing.

So ... once it's established, how does one go about removing the yellow
rattle plants ... ?

You rotter I was going to ask that, I shall go away and sulk!(:-(

Alan

Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:
Yellow Rattle (Rhinanthus spp.) is a parasitic plant for which the host
is assorted grasses. If you could establish Yellow Rattle it would
decrease the vigour of the grasses on which it was growing.

So ... once it's established, how does one go about removing the yellow
rattle plants ... ?

You rotter I was going to ask that, I shall go away and sulk!(:-(

Now you can sit in the "didn't look at the original link" corner with me,
then. :-) (I did look on wikipedia, mind)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

rowan wrote:
If you have the patience and spare space just cover the ground in black
plastic sheet. It will take probably 12 months. I have used this
effectively on large areas badly infested after trying most things. I
have also loaded the surface with fresh farmyard manure before puttng
down the plastic.( 300 + mm. deep!) Got rid of couch grass, manured
ground and no space taken by composting. Three jobs in one!

I have never found plastic sheeting effective for getting rid of twitch. It
just sits there patiently under the surface and waits. Apparetly it is more
patient than I am.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
rowan wrote:
If you have the patience and spare space just cover the ground in black
plastic sheet. It will take probably 12 months. I have used this
effectively on large areas badly infested after trying most things. I
have also loaded the surface with fresh farmyard manure before puttng
down the plastic.( 300 + mm. deep!) Got rid of couch grass, manured
ground and no space taken by composting. Three jobs in one!

I have never found plastic sheeting effective for getting rid of twitch.
It
just sits there patiently under the surface and waits. Apparetly it is
more
patient than I am.

Ain't that just the truth!
It's dire stuff that will regenerate from the tiniest little bit of rhizome
that you missed.
Tina

Keeping couch grass out of polytunnels Michael Bell United Kingdom 5 22-04-2011 12:47 PM
Border full of couch grass! scorpy66 United Kingdom 9 11-06-2006 10:34 AM
Couch Grass panda United Kingdom 13 02-03-2006 12:34 AM
Couch Grass in Compost Brian Corbett Gardening 1 10-07-2005 08:15 PM
Composting nasties suchas couch grass Broadback United Kingdom 7 09-05-2004 08:05 AM