Old 19-04-2010, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Food/Fruit for semi-shade?

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
If I throw them into their run they go "no way, we were hoping for a
dandelion.."

Hmm, I haven't tried them with nettles, but there are definitely some weeds
more than others that they like. I haven't noticed them being fond of
dandelions, though.

When we kept hens (1945 - 1950) I used to go gathering chickweed,
groundsel and suchlike for them. They also like garlic mustard,
shepherd's purse, the cresses, rocket (again!), charlock etc, mallow,
clover, willow herb, many umbellifers, especially hogweed, goosegrass,
hawkweeds, chenopodia of all orts, rowan berries, most other fruit too,
and in those days, we used to go out gleaning after harvest and bring
home plenty of wheat and barley for them.

Nowadays, combine harvesters have left lean pickings.

It's worth spending some time gathering wild food for hens as the eggs
are so much better. (Until I was thirteen I could eat them, but then I
developed a mild allergy to them)

The greengrocer will usually give you trimmings from cauliflowers and
stuff not saleable. When I had a smallholding I used to get loads of
that for the goats and fowl.

Mind you, the annoying things are now turning their noses up at the angelica
I planted for them last year that they used to love!

Candy the young shoots then!

Today they were happy munching through a handful of spent sprout + broccoli
plants from the allotment. I think they enjoyed them!

They will. But not if you tell them it really improves their flavour on
the table...

--
Rusty
Old 19-04-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:

That's a great idea! I never thought of multi-layered spuds in tubs.
Only question .... wouldn't the lowest level be ready long before the
levels above? I grow only first & second earlies and always in tubs.
Any way to increase that production by using the same amount of
containers is most welcome.

Not really - the time it takes the sprouts of a ready-chitted spud to
grow six, twelve, or even eighteen inches will make little difference
to what goes on underneath, just so long as the temperature, moisture
and nutrition suit the tubers.

The new tubers grow off the sprouts, so you should end up with a tub
full of spuds.

Thanks very much for the tip Rusty - will definitely try it next year. I
normally grow Foremost and Rocket (spuds - not lettuce) so I look
forward to toasting you after a bumper crop in 2001; God and Icelandic
volcanos willing!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 19-04-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:

Jim A wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Blackberries, raspberries and gooseberries will tolerate a fair amount
of shade - they do like some sun though.

I hesitate to suggest nettles and ground elder, both of which are good
green veg (IMO!). I'm about to plant a big shallow tub (when I find
one) with ground elder, so I can spray the unwanted invasive regiments
of it.

I already have a thornless bramble - the fruit was very tart last year
so I think it needs more sunshine. I'm glad you mentioned it I might
transplant it or take a cutting to put it somewhere with more light.

And nettles, yes indeed. I planted one last year expecting it to
multiply and give me a bumper crop, but it hasn't much yet. I'll go
find a few more as I like nettle tea and feel rather stupid buying
teabags for it.

Want me to send you a few bales of nettle roots?

Another excellent wild food is almost the entire family of Chenopodia -
fat hen, good King Henry, hastate orache, samphire and many others.

Blackberries grow nicely along the tops of fences. Ideally, they should
have vicious thorns to discourage intruders. Remember, if you have a
suitable position, you can always put in a tall stout stake and grow
blackberries vertically.

We have some red currant bushes growing against a NW facing fence. They
receive very little sun; this year, judging by the flowers, we are in
for a bumper crop.

Larry
Old 19-04-2010, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Want me to send you a few bales of nettle roots?

Thanks, but there are plenty just down the road :-)

Another excellent wild food is almost the entire family of Chenopodia -

Cheno-what? Don't worry - I'll google it.

fat hen, good King Henry, hastate orache, samphire and many others.

Blackberries grow nicely along the tops of fences. Ideally, they should
have vicious thorns to discourage intruders. Remember, if you have a
suitable position, you can always put in a tall stout stake and grow
blackberries vertically.

Neat Idea! I'll just let it grow to the top of the wall where it will
find plenty of sunshine.

Cheers!

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old 19-04-2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:

[...]

You buy Icelandic wine?

I'm planting pink fir apple thus - pedants may inform that these aren't
strictly potatoes...

--
Rusty

Old 19-04-2010, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Larry Stoter wrote:

We have some red currant bushes growing against a NW facing fence. They
receive very little sun; this year, judging by the flowers, we are in
for a bumper crop.

Doing their darndest under adverse conditions to produce a currant or two.

The blackbirds will have them, anyway...

Redan white currant will tolerate some shade, being (I am informed) a
sub-hedgerow shrub.

--
Rusty
Old 19-04-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:

[...]

It's an excellent gritty wine with just a touch too much gas to render
it appealing to the true connoisseur.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 20-04-2010, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Larry Stoter wrote:
We have some red currant bushes growing against a NW facing fence. They
receive very little sun; this year, judging by the flowers, we are in
for a bumper crop.

Completely off topic to the current conversation, but I was weeding under
the currant bushes at the weekend (amazing how the little buggers go from
perfectly weeded to matted over in a week or two!) and the smell as I
brushed past them was absolutely gorgeous .. !
Old 20-04-2010, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Gopher wrote:

[...]

But the amount of sulphur dioxide in it makes it idel for laying down.

I don't mean the wine thobut.

--
Rusty