Old 22-04-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery Plant ID?

Sorry, I don't own any cameras(!) so I can't supply a photo, but the plant
is quite unusual so if anyone has any ideas of what it *might* be, I may be
able to track it down by websearching etc. Any help would be gratefully
appreciated as I've no idea what it might be at all, as I'm a gardening n00b

I found it in the long-abandoned garden next door, which is supposed to be
the garden of somebody in a council flat who isn't interested (it's not
outside their flat for a start) so they've never tended it, so it was a
dense overgrown thicket. Then the council chopped the thicket down to make
room for scaffolding for some building work some time ago, and now it's a
sort of no-mans land with weeds and trees growing back, which everyone dumps
their organic garden waste in (leaves and twigs etc). So it's all just
weeds, except I spotted this nice-looking thing which appears to be a real
plant that has survived or seeded from when it was a garden.

There is a main stem with a couple of much smaller ones branching off near
the bottom, so it looks like it could if looked after have many stems. The
stem is a medium, clear mauve at the top (not mauvish-green I mean, mauve
from a paintbox) fading to very red at the bottom. The leaves are long and
thin, arranged in pairs up the stem, on the stem, alternating quadrants (a
North/South pair then an East/West pair). They stand out horizontally. The
leaves are a medium green, with a paler vein in the middle. They get a bit
lighter green towards the top of the plant. Where each leaf joins the main
stem (this isn't happening on the two small branched off stems) there is
something poking out of the join that look like buds, as if it's going to
flower all the way up.

At the top is a rosette of five leaves, breaking the symmetry, which are a
bit broader (the couple of pairs of leaves below are broader than average
too) and emanating from the same point are five slim mauve stems with
clusters of leaves at the end (which have a red vein on the underside) which
look suspiciously like developing flowers although they are green and, I've
just looked again and there are a pair of "buds" on little stalks coming
from the joints of the top pair of leaves below as well.

The root system when I dug it up seemed to be one sort of tap root with
finer roots off that and was not particularly extensive. The whole thing is
somewhere over a foot tall and the longest leaves are about 3 1/2" long, and
the thin leaves are under 1/2" wide.

It looks too nice to be a weed to me, and not native British, but I know
very little and could be wrong. Or maybe a wise head here will say, "Egads,
that's Japanese Toxic Spikeweed, burn it with fire!"

Anyway, I've transplanted it to a nice spot in my garden with some home-made
compost and a bit of organic chicken poo fertiliser to see what happens.
There are a few more smaller ones to be rescued if they are "real plants".
Any ideas anyone? Help will be most appreciated!

Ian

Old 22-04-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Ian B" contains these
words: snip

it sounds as if it could be a euphorbia. Nice plants but sensitive
people can get a very unpleasant longterm contact skin rash.
So be careful/wear gloves for the next suggestion; break a stem or
leaf off and see if milky white sap ooozes out. Like cream.

Thanks, there were in fact some drips of something sappy looking on a couple
of the leaves. I don't want to snap anything off as I've just looked at it
and I don't think it appreciated being moved very much, it's getting rather
wilty

Ian

Old 22-04-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery Plant ID? +Picture

Ian B wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Ian B" contains these
words: snip

it sounds as if it could be a euphorbia. Nice plants but sensitive
people can get a very unpleasant longterm contact skin rash.
So be careful/wear gloves for the next suggestion; break a stem or
leaf off and see if milky white sap ooozes out. Like cream.

Thanks, there were in fact some drips of something sappy looking on a
couple of the leaves. I don't want to snap anything off as I've just
looked at it and I don't think it appreciated being moved very much,
it's getting rather wilty

I realised I could overcome the picture problem, partially, by doing a
drawing, so here it is. It's a fairly close approximation; the leaves get
darker as they go down the stem.

http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_461lo.jpg

Ian

Old 22-04-2010, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Baraclough wrote:
it sounds as if it could be a euphorbia. Nice plants but sensitive
people can get a very unpleasant longterm contact skin rash.
So be careful/wear gloves for the next suggestion; break a stem or leaf
off and see if milky white sap ooozes out. Like cream.

After a bit of googling, I realise - "otherwise known as poinsettia"?
Surely anyone who had been around a shop at Christmas would recognise this
instantly? Mind you, not surprised at one growing wild, as they seem to
just get chucked away each year - surprised it survived the winter, though.

I've just been looking after the MiL's 4 from the past couple of
Christmases, and I know /I/ would like to throw them away now!

Old 22-04-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message
Ian B wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Ian B" contains these
words: snip

it sounds as if it could be a euphorbia. Nice plants but sensitive
people can get a very unpleasant longterm contact skin rash.
So be careful/wear gloves for the next suggestion; break a stem or
leaf off and see if milky white sap ooozes out. Like cream.

Thanks, there were in fact some drips of something sappy looking on a
couple of the leaves. I don't want to snap anything off as I've just
looked at it and I don't think it appreciated being moved very much,
it's getting rather wilty

I realised I could overcome the picture problem, partially, by doing a
drawing, so here it is. It's a fairly close approximation; the leaves get
darker as they go down the stem.

http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_461lo.jpg

Could it be a Tradescantia of some sort?

--

Jeff

Old 22-04-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ian B wrote:
http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_461lo.jpg

Just a warning to anyone else who flicks through to this at work - there are
pop up adverts came with this that are definitely not suitable for work
viewing!

Please be aware.
Old 22-04-2010, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Ian B wrote:
http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_461lo.jpg

Just a warning to anyone else who flicks through to this at work -
there are pop up adverts came with this that are definitely not
suitable for work viewing!

Please be aware.

I didn't realise they do that, I have a popup blocker. My apologies. I've
put the picture on my own webspace, which is entirely "clean", here-

http://www.libcabal.net/mysteryplant01.jpg

Ian

Old 22-04-2010, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote
[...]

Take a look at "Caper Spurge"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_lathyris

Very architectural plant but don't let it seed around, that said they are
easy to remove anyway when small.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-04-2010, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ian B" wrote
[...]

Thanks, it certainly is. I've read enough up now about the toxicity that
it's now in the rubbish bin in two plastic sacks

Ian

Old 22-04-2010, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian B wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Ian B" contains these
words: snip

it sounds as if it could be a euphorbia. Nice plants but sensitive
people can get a very unpleasant longterm contact skin rash.
So be careful/wear gloves for the next suggestion; break a stem or
leaf off and see if milky white sap ooozes out. Like cream.

Thanks, there were in fact some drips of something sappy looking on a
couple of the leaves. I don't want to snap anything off as I've just
looked at it and I don't think it appreciated being moved very much,
it's getting rather wilty

I realised I could overcome the picture problem, partially, by doing a
drawing, so here it is. It's a fairly close approximation; the leaves get
darker as they go down the stem.

http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_461lo.jpg

Hey, you're good at drawing! It's caper spurge, euphorbia lathyris.

foliage at

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_rWksMjEBTQk/Sa...thyris-887.jpg

Gosh, we have one of those growing along side our service path!

better look at flowers at

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/Ima...web/5/5488.jpg

don't be misled by the common name, it's not the edible caper used in
sauces and you certainly wouldn't want one of its seeds in your mouth.

Janet, is this because it is poisonous, or just that it tastes foul? Would
like to know as one of the neighbours has a 5 year old and another has a 3
year old grand daughter who visits regularly.

--
Kathy

Old 22-04-2010, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian B wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

OK. I read on, and it comes out tomorrow.

--
Kathy

Old 22-04-2010, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
Take a look at "Caper Spurge"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_lathyris

Very architectural plant but don't let it seed around, that said they
are easy to remove anyway when small.

Thanks, it certainly is. I've read enough up now about the toxicity that
it's now in the rubbish bin in two plastic sacks

No reason to do that, so many of our garden plants are toxic anyway. Even
those beautiful Lilies are lethal to cats. Councils often use a plant in
their bedding displays that contains the most lethal poison of all.
If you have children it's better to teach them not to touch plants than pull
the plants up.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-04-2010, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Having said all that, for people old enough to take reasonable care
of themselves the euphorbias are magnificent garden plants; and
there are far deadlier plants in many gardens including mine.

More years ago than I care to remember, I worked on the toxic effects of the
Euphorbias. All Euphorbias are to some extent, poisonous (even our native
common spurge and sun spurge). The greatest danger with the Euphorbias is
that they are co-carcinogenic, that is that they do not immediately cause
cancer but after exposure to activating agents e.g. heavy metals, cancer can
form. There is the well documented case of a Carribean island where
Euphorbia leaves were dried and then infused to make a tea-like drink. All
went well until heavy metals got into the water supply and this was followed
by a massive outbreak of throat cancer - so beware!

Phil