Old 24-04-2010, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment allocated

The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me. The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 24-04-2010, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jhg2rh.1izz5q71pse526N%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...
The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me.
The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture
still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Peter

Time to visit the hire shop?

Mike

Old 24-04-2010, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jhg2rh.1izz5q71pse526N%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...
The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me. The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Peter

what about starting out with some type of lazagna garden or a modified type.
Mulch over the pasture to create you garden beds and plant into what you
have. Do 1 year of gardening on those beds and move on to another patch. At
the end of 1 year the original gardens will have loose and crumbly soil
underneath and be fine to dig. Break the allotment in a garden at a time and
initially use a no dig approach.

rob

Old 24-04-2010, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2010 08:42, Peter James wrote:
The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me. The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Congrats on the allotment. As to the rotorvator/digging; hire or borrow
one or get lots of friends round (older children?)for a digging party
(beer and sandwiches supplied) . It can be false economy to think "Ooo
I'll do it myself it will cost nothing" Then spend two days (or more )
in back breaking labour (that you wouldn't have done for pay) then spend
the next couple of weeks in bed 'cos you have 'done your back in' and
the next couple of years visiting a chiropractor/physiotherapist .
Old 24-04-2010, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:
The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me. The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Peter

I'm still on the waiting list myself, but hoping might filter to the top
of it some time in the next year or ten.

On the offchance you're anywhere within cycling distance from Corsham,
Wiltshire I'll happily lend you a hand with the digging - you're welcome
to email me.

Cheers,

Jim
--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Old 24-04-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Peter James wrote:
The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me. The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

We hire one from the bloke with the allotment next to us. I think it's
about 20 quid for an afternoon, iirc.
Old 24-04-2010, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-24 09:16:06 +0100, "Muddymike"
said:

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jhg2rh.1izz5q71pse526N%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...
The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me.
The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture
still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Peter

Time to visit the hire shop?

Mike

Or throw a digging party with beer and sandwiches on offer to all who turn
up with a spade and a willing heart!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

What a good way to find out who your friends are :-)

Bill

Old 25-04-2010, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

The good news is that my allotment has been allocated to me. The bad
news is that it's in an old cow pasture with the old pasture still in
place. My back is cringing at the thought of all that digging.
Shame I can't afford a rotorvator.

Peter

Thanks for all of the repllies. Lots of suggestions and a lot of
interesting comments, thank you all. And for those who offered help,
I'm in Cornwall. A long way to cycle I'm afraid.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
from being gruntled.
P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975

Allotment vandalism Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 7 01-05-2003 11:56 PM
New Interest Group on ICQ for Allotment Gardeners Roberto United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 06:08 PM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 11:27 PM
New Allotment Simon Diaz United Kingdom 6 19-12-2002 11:03 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM