Old 25-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered User

Default Sewing seeds

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of newspaper or something similar to keep out the light to force the seed to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to germinate if i dont........cheers
Old 25-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabc View Post
When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of newspaper or something similar to keep out the light to force the seed to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to germinate if i dont........cheers
You may find they might never germinate. It does depend on what the seeds are and what it takes to break their dormincy. In general, a cover is excellent as it exclude light and keep the compost moist. Hope this helps.

-r
Old 25-04-2010, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
rabc

You havn't said what you are sewing them onto, though in my
experience not mant seeds are that ornimental.
Might be better if you tried sowing them
David Hill
Old 25-04-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"rabc" wrote

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of
newspaper or something similar to keep out the light to force the seed
to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to
germinate if i dont........cheers

Some seeds need light to germinate, depends on the species.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 27-04-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 07:52:29 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

You havn't said what you are sewing them onto, though in my
experience not mant seeds are that ornimental.
Might be better if you tried sowing them
David Hill

!
well done David

Pam in Bristol

Old 27-04-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 04:38:49 -0400, rabc
wrote:

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of
newspaper or something similar to keep out the light to force the seed
to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to
germinate if i dont........cheers

Whatever seed you are sowing, check what their germination
requirements are. Some need dark, some need light.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-04-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of
newspaper or something similar to keep out the light *to force the seed
to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to
germinate if i dont........cheers

Whatever seed you are sowing, check what their germination
requirements are. *Some need dark, some need light.

Pam in Bristol

I remember our English masterusing this as a pointer to some of the
anomilies of the English Language.
The farmer was out in the field sowing corn, his wfe was in the house
sewing a button on his shirt.
They were both.....................
Working .
There is no collective noun to cover both tasks in one word.
David Hill
Old 27-04-2010, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of
newspaper or something similar to keep out the light *to force the seed
to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to
germinate if i dont........cheers

Whatever seed you are sowing, check what their germination
requirements are. *Some need dark, some need light.

Pam in Bristol

I remember our English masterusing this as a pointer to some of the
anomilies of the English Language.
The farmer was out in the field sowing corn, his wfe was in the house
sewing a button on his shirt.
They were both.....................
Working .
There is no collective noun to cover both tasks in one word.
David Hill

and mosy of my work had the rider "Must learn to spell"
David
Old 28-04-2010, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of
newspaper or something similar to keep out the light to force the seed
to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to
germinate if i dont........cheers

Whatever seed you are sowing, check what their germination
requirements are. Some need dark, some need light.

Pam in Bristol

I remember our English masterusing this as a pointer to some of the
anomilies of the English Language.
The farmer was out in the field sowing corn, his wfe was in the house
sewing a button on his shirt.
They were both.....................
Working .
There is no collective noun to cover both tasks in one word.
David Hill

and mosy of my work had the rider "Must learn to spell"
David

English is not an easy language, as I am finding out, having promised my
German friend to help her know all about it.
Well - there's cough, and bough and rough for a start..

Old 29-04-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
masterusing

Well that's a new word for it.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 30-04-2010, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

When sewing seed ive always covered the container with a sheet of
newspaper or something similar to keep out the light to force the seed
to germinate, do i really need too, how much longer will they take to
germinate if i dont........cheers

What happens in nature do you think? Does some entity go around
shielding germinating seeds with newspapers? I think not.

I like my seedlings to meet sunshine as soon as possible.

It keeps 'em green and avoids legginess.

I used to start my cucs and toms in an airing cupboard. What a
misguided waste of time! Now they sit out in full light and are
better for it.

--

Old 30-04-2010, 10:04 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

What happens in nature varies enormously. Some seeds fall on the surface and germinate soon after. Some seeds need their seed-coat rotted before they'll germinate, which will generally happen only when they've got themselves buried in some nice moist soil. Some seeds are designed to last for years and years, by which time they probably have been buried. Some seeds will have gone through an animal and been deposited in a nice ball of dung.