Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-04-2010, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peach/Nectarine volunteer

I was weeding yesterday and came across a weed I had not seen before, so I
dug it up to find 2 halves of a peach or nectarine stone and the kernel of
this with a seedling growing from it.
I have put the seedling into a pot to grow out of curiosity.
This has certainly come sometime in the past from our compost bin.
If it can survive through our winters in the UK, can I expect it to bear
some fruit in the future do you think?
My dad says no because it may need grafting, and on a good rootstock.
My arguement is that before man took over how did they grow.
Your thoughts will be welcome, I find this very exciting.

PtePike