Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default Weeping Acer

I posted here before regarding an Acer Palmatum 'Garnet' which I was
given, in a pot, late summer last year. At that time, it was just
losing all of its leaves, and following some advice here, I decided not
to to repot or do anything this year, and let it establish itself first
and see how it did.

Anyway, despite being out all winter, it seemed OK and the last few
weeks there has been some nice activity with the leaves starting to
come out and now there is a reasonable amount of new growth.

Unfortunately, it has now taken a turn for the worse, and all of the
leaves are limp and drooping, much as I would expect if it had dried
out. It's still in the pot that it came in and that pot is inside
another decorative pot, but raised on some broken bricks to help
drainage. It seems to be draining OK but the soil is quite moist
following some heavy rain over the weekend.

So, what to do, if anything? Would I be OK repotting at this stage (I
seem to remember advice about only doing this while in its dormant
state) or am I best of leaving it to (hopefully) sort itself out.

If I repot it, I have some John Innes No. 3 (I think!) - is this OK if
I mix it with some pebbles or gravel to help drainage?

Thanks.

--
Chris
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting.

I bought an Acer palmatum v. dissectum "Baby Lace" a couple of weeks ago
from a nursery I've bought from before. A few days after I bought it the
leaves started to droop, and now they are all limp. I took it out of its pot
yesterday to look at the roots in case it had vine weevil, but it doesn't
and the roots look ok. The pot was a little on the light side when I bought
it but not completely dry, and I've kept it damp, but not waterlogged,
since.

I've emailed the nursery for their opinion and await a reply.

--

Jeff

weeping fig jo Plant Biology 0 27-04-2003 10:56 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Small weeping trees Rod United Kingdom 5 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM
Weeping Maple tree? Me too. Gardening 5 18-03-2003 10:32 PM